| FTBL OSU Fan Opinions

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date
RollTideRandy said:
I’m seeing a lot of posts from Ohio State fans today talking about how well SEC fans seem to pull together and support one another. Most are talking about how every fan of Michigan, Purdue, Penn State, Wisconsin, and so on threw their full support toward Florida and LSU in the Title Game the last couple of years. SEC fans however, are quick to get behind their conference brethren and quick to congratulate them after a victory. They say SEC fans have a lot of pride toward their team and their conference, Big 10 fans however only have pride and loyalty for their team.

They were saying that this is the reason why Ohio State was not able to beat a team from the SEC team the last couple of years. They are saying that no one will ever beat an SEC team in the title game until their conference adopts the same philosophy as the SEC. When you play Ohio State in the Title Game, you are playing against Ohio State. When you play against LSU in the Title Game, you are playing against the entire SEC and that’s tough to overcome.

I find these sentiments to be complimentary and wanted to share them. What do you think? Is the SEC a tighter knit conference than all the rest? Is that what makes the SEC the BEST overall conference?

Fans don't win games. The teams win games and the SEC has better teams.

So a Grandmother who hates Ohio State more that she hates LSU is worth how many point?

Frankly the theory is hogwash, although it is interesting.

My inability to pull for and pick au, msu, and ut cost me our Bowl Games Blowout contest. I would have been 24-8. And I really don't know why I picked Wisconsin since it was their dork QB that cost me my best shot at a perfect pick score during the regular season contest. I picked OSU over Wisconsin 31-17. With less than 5 minutes left Wisconsin got the ball around the 20 with the score 31-17. I thought for sure they would keep the ball for a couple of minutes and OSU would be content to run out the clock and I would have my perfect score. The dork QB fumbled on the first play, OSU recovered and scored on their first play after the fumble and won 38-17.

Right or wrong, no rhyme or reason, I always pull for sec teams unless it benefits Bama that season. One, it makes our conference appear stronger when they all win. To me it important to maintain that perception when you have other conferences refusing to join in on the conference championship games. This puts another degree of difficulty for Bama to reach the big game. Other teams, I.E. OSU waltz into the game because of a weak conference and no extra game. It clearly shows the SEC plays tougher competition week in and week out and deserves a 2 loss team int he big game vs another conferences 2 loss team. One day we may benefit from such a thing. Now if we ever get a playoff going then I may change my way of thinking. But until then, I root for Bama first then SEC.

I only gave a crap about watching Bama. Only reason I pulled for LSU was because I cannot stand OSU. I did not pull for Aubrun, Tennassee or Florida. They sure as heck wanted us to lose. It may make us look stronger when the sec wins but I still do not pull for them. If they win, meh. If they lose I am fine with that as well.

I hate orange.

SEC!SEC!SEC!SEC!

After the fans in the super dome were chanting SEC and the LSU players were chanting SEC, who can not thank them for bringing respect to our conference. I've had bad run inns with LSU fans, but that is like fighting a cousin.
If THE OSU had won the last 2 championship games how would the SEC look?
If were going to be champions again the SEC is going to have to look like the most formidable schedule to send teams to the dance.

It Takes Eleven said:
BamaDelta said:
laurajmoss said:
Paradox said:
I know I'm in the minority..

But I can't possibly root against a team so much during the regular season and then pull for them in the postseason because they're in the same conference.

When Auburn or Tennessee or LSU or Florida, etc... play anyone, I want them to be physically, mentally, and emotionally crushed. Period.

Same here. I don't really grok the SEC-brotherhood thing at all. Inter-conference rivals don't magically become pals just because they're playing a team from another conference.

I know this will shock all you regulars, but I agree. :D

I didn't root for LSU or the SEC in the least. I can't say that I really rooted for Ohio State, but it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if LSU had lost.

Then again I don't go to other SEC websites or ESPN. The whole "which conference is better" argument means nothing to me.

The only thing I care about is Alabama and until someone shows me how LSU winning another NC helps us it is meaningless to me.

Yes, all of this newfound solidarity is amusing. Not too long ago the talking heads were saying we're the conference that is so vindictive and vengeful we were on the edge of destroying each other, and now we pull for each other? Barnwash.

Conference pride (masked regional pride) is usually the first reason given to pull for an SEC team in an NC game, but doesn't it make Bama's road to success more difficult? It's got to be a bit more difficult recruiting against a reigning NC.

Also, if we're all for conference (regional) pride, what about State pride? Do we want our fellow Alabamians to excel? Yes? No? Think about it. Would any of you (other than our comedy relief aubrun posters) really pull for aubrun to win a national championship? If you think you would cheer aubrun in a NC game, perhaps a little soul searching is in order. Really.

RTR,

Tim

Be careful, folks, y'all are making too much sense, though I doubt if y'all will be able to convince anyone who still pulls for a rival, despite the fact that the rival's majority constantly belittles Bama's tradition, boos its HC, and wishes ill-things for the Crimson Tide program. . . . not to mention the fact that the same rival would show up in numbers at Bama's bowl, taunt Tide fans, gloat about its own less than perfect season, and remind everyone how "lowly" playing in the I Bowl just happens to be while saying they're there "to support the bowl."

Back
Top Bottom