| NEWS Orange Bowl: College Football Playoff prediction from ESPN for Georgia vs Michigan - 247Sports

S

SEC Sports

Georgia is headed to Miami to play in the College Football Playoff Semifinal at Capital One Orange Bowl where they'll take on No. 2 Michigan on Dec. 31, 2021. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. and ESPN will broadcast the game. On Thursday, ESPN provided its prediction on how the matchup between the Dawgs and Wolverines will unfold.

Jim Harbaugh's mission to build Michigan into a team that would truly reflect his personality took longer than expected, but it has happened. The Wolverines will make their CFP debut against a team that largely resembles them. Like Michigan with Aidan Hutchinson and David Ojabo, Georgia boasts elite defensive linemen such as Jordan Davis. Both teams are built around multiple rushing options, talented tight end play and unheralded but effective quarterbacks in Cade McNamara (Michigan) and Stetson Bennett IV (Georgia). Will Georgia consider a QB change after Bennett's struggles in the SEC title game? Coach Kirby Smart must guard against an Alabama hangover, or Georgia's four-decades-long national title drought will add another painful year. Michigan played its best football down the stretch and will outlast Georgia in a defensive struggle behind two Hutchinson-forced turnovers.

Prediction: Michigan 24, Georgia 21

ESPN has Alabama beating Cincinnati 38-27 in the CFP Semifinal at Cotton Bowl Classic, then beating Michigan 33-21 to repeat as national champions for the second time under head coach Nick Saban. Georgia opened as a 7.5-point neutral-site favorite on Sportsline and William Hill and that is where the line stands now. The Bulldogs are now 64-15 under sixth-year head coach Kirby Smart, with a 40-9 record in regular-season conference play. The teams have split the two previous matchups, both played in Ann Arbor, with Michigan winning 26-0 in 1957 and Georgia winning 15-7 in 1965.

"I think the fun is in the preparation," Smart said of playing in the CFP semifinal for a second time in five years. "The fun is in the atmosphere that you get to play in. I think when you get to talk about CFP it is a tremendous opportunity. No matter where you play, no matter where you are in the playoffs you have a grand opportunity. We have a very mature team, we have great leaders, I have full faith and confidence that our guys will handle it the right way. They are also going to be down there for almost a week, so it is not to think that if we were having a game here and it was a big game in Athens for a week our guys all prepare different ways. They spend their time in different locations. I have a lot of confidence that the seniors and the older players will have a good time, a good experience, and when it is time to be focused, be focused. You can’t focus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and be at your best. We are trying to build to a moment of truth and built that kind of energy and focus where we need it to be at game time.”

The Bulldogs are coming off a 41-24 loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship and Michigan is coming off a 42-3 win over Iowa in the Big Ten Championship. Georgia will be making its 58th bowl game appearance, second-most of any program and the team is 33-21-3 all-time in bowl games. Georgia has the longest active bowl streak in the country at 25 consecutive bowl appearances.

CFB semi-final with UGA vs Michigan is the 2021 SECCG, part deux?

You'll remember what the conversations were like when Bama was looking forward to meeting UGA in ATL: how will the Bama offense move the ball against that Georgia defense?

Several times during those few weeks it was mentioned/suggested people were looking at the game from the wrong perspective. With Bama, was it about the UGA defense OR was it about whether UGA's offense would have success?

I'm seeing the same from a lot when it comes to this game. And like the SECCG I've got the same questions: can the UGA offense have success against Michigan's defense? I'm of the opinion if UM can stop the running game Michigan can, and will, keep this game close.

A UM win? I can't dismiss the possibility. I still don't trust the Bulldogs offense.

You'll remember what the conversations were like when Bama was looking forward to meeting UGA in ATL: how will the Bama offense move the ball against that Georgia defense?

Several times during those few weeks it was mentioned/suggested people were looking at the game from the wrong perspective. With Bama, was it about the UGA defense OR was it about whether UGA's offense would have success?

I'm seeing the same from a lot when it comes to this game. And like the SECCG I've got the same questions: can the UGA offense have success against Michigan's defense? I'm of the opinion if UM can stop the running game Michigan can, and will, keep this game close.

A UM win? I can't dismiss the possibility. I still don't trust the Bulldogs offense.

I honestly believe Michigan wins. Much more balanced of a team right now. Georgia will play hard, but you just don't know what their offense will bring. This will be a fun game.

In my opinion...Michigan doesn't have the offensive weapons to beat Georgia, nor do they have the defense. McNamara has thrown for a PAULTRY 2470 yards and 15 TDs for the season. They're going to need a whole lot of passing yards to win this game.

I don't see Michigan keeping this game close at all.

Dan Orlovsky picked Michigan to win it all so this is just falling in line to work with that prediction. I believe

They passionately want another conference to compete/win it all. The SEC/Clemson dominance has that fatigue cup over flowing.

To me it will come down to who you trust the most the Bulldogs offense or Harbaugh? Honestly I trust the Bulldog offense more than Harbaugh truly being able to play at a high level in the biggest games. I know he figured it out against Ohio State but one time does not put it all behind him.

I have that same feeling!

And the reason I hesitate to favor Mich is because they just don't throw it down the field that well. It's Bryce's ace in the hole... Can always hit JW on a deep ball on any play.

I think UGA is probably a bit shaken. The talent is on their side, but Michigan isn't a team that will beat themselves... So that UGA offense will have to show some dynamic ability, we'll see what they've got.

I have that same feeling!

And the reason I hesitate to favor Mich is because they just don't throw it down the field that well. It's Bryce's ace in the hole... Can always hit JW on a deep ball on any play.

I think UGA is probably a bit shaken. The talent is on their side, but Michigan isn't a team that will beat themselves... So that UGA offense will have to show some dynamic ability, we'll see what they've got.
And ...HC Harbaugh is a good reason not to favor them...

@50+yeartidefan @mando

Hold up for a second: "Harbaugh is a good reason not to like Michigan." (sic)

We're talking about on the field decisions here where Kirby has a record himself: and it's not good.

Harbaugh deserves the criticism he's received. But let's be honest here. The vast majority of that criticism is rooted in what he's done off the field: camps in the south, sleep overs, the 'shirtless' pics that were panned, and of course his personality amplified by what he's said in the past.

But. Where are these gaffs on the field? If you're pointing to his record I see where you're coming from: there's been a talent deficit in Ann Arbor for a long time now (even in the coaching ranks.)

Now that you've put together his gaffs, how many more—or less—than that of Kirby?

I'd be interested to see why people think UM won't be able to contain the Georgia rush. They may not but I've yet to see reason to say "they won't."

I think Michigan can beat Georgia but I don’t know if they will. Harbaugh seems to stick with a game plan come hell or high water so if Georgia gets up on them, will he make adequate adjustments? To me, it’s all about the run game. Can Michigan stuff it and can Michigan run it? They can, but will they??? 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you're pointing to his record I see where you're coming from: there's been a talent deficit in Ann Arbor for a long time now (even in the coaching ranks.)
I do not follow UM game to game enough to know if Harbaugh gaffs only thing I base things on is his horrible on the field record. It has not been that this year for sure. Maybe it has been all about the talent or development of the talent. My point is the record is mediocre at best.

On the topic of rush offense/defense, Bama shut down UGA's rushing for the most part and were able to run the ball enough. This was done with what is probably Bama's worse OL in years. Kirby may very well pull a Kirby. I just think SEC competition and talent will beat a UM team that has not been here before.

I have Michigan winning. Georgia's offensive line is suspect and Michigan has two ends that can get home. Michigan's offensive line has the size to handle Georgia's defensive line, so I can see them grinding out rushing yards. Gonna be a good ole fashion low scoring game like some of us prefer, but I'm taking the Wolverines 27-20.

@TerryP
My point was history in BIG games..
History in big games, or history in B1G games?

He's had a bigger conference win than Kirby has at UGA. In non-con play the story flips considering UGA's playoff run.

I do not follow UM game to game enough to know if Harbaugh gaffs only thing I base things on is his horrible on the field record. It has not been that this year for sure. Maybe it has been all about the talent or development of the talent. My point is the record is mediocre at best.
61-23 is not a horrible record. His record against top ten teams isn't good. No doubt. In context, he has a good record up there. Think about this for a second...around 100 coaches in the history of college football have won .750 or more of their games. He's sitting around .730 at UM, over .700 in this collegiate career.

History in big games, or history in B1G games?

He's had a bigger conference win than Kirby has at UGA. In non-con play the story flips considering UGA's playoff run.

61-23 is not a horrible record. His record against top ten teams isn't good. No doubt. In context, he has a good record up there. Think about this for a second...around 100 coaches in the history of college football have won .750 or more of their games. He's sitting around .730 at UM, over .700 in this collegiate career.
Horrible in big games for sure. Actually his record is better than I thought but still mediocre to Blue Blood standards who should expect to win the big games more times than not.

Back
Top Bottom