| FTBL One thing i will be happy for with the Tide this yr.

Bamalee1

Verified Member
I still think we need some more defensive personnel , but i think it will be great to once again see a Defense(that will be in your face defense) and a defense with a tremendous amount of blitz packages. Kines defense was ok , but it appeared to be more of a catch defense(not attack and stay back and catch defense). I like defenses who come in your face ,and after your Fanny, and puts pressure on you. I believe that what we will see when Saban unleashes the STEELE CURTAIN.

You will certainly see a more aggressive defense, but you will also see them give up more big plays than a Kines defense would. They will force more turnovers (in most cases) and will certainly have more sacks however. It will be a more "exciting" defense for many fans to watch though, much like the offense will be more "exciting". I think after a season or three, when Saban gets the right players in to run the defense he wants, it will be a top 3 defense in the SEC year in and year out. I think they will struggle some (in terms of a BAMA or Saban led defense) in the foreseeable future however.

I agree that our defense will one of the best in the nation in a few years, but I definately see our Offense being our strength this year for one main reason...we need a stud DT for this defense to work, once we get one in there, Saban will be able to do more things. But the nose guard position is really where it all begins, and that's our weakest spot from what I saw/heard in the Spring.

BamaFan14 said:
But the nose guard position is really where it all begins, and that's our weakest spot from what I saw/heard in the Spring.

True, but we don't exactly have a strong spot IMO, some are just weaker than others. The good news, there is some depth in terms of numbers compared to recent years, so Saban & Co. will find 11 guys that want to play.

I think Porter is right. I see us being aggressive and suceptable to the big play. However I see the d-line being more disciplined than last year and better against the run and have a very pressure-oriented pass rush.

I see the defense doing very well against teams like Arkansas, Vandy and MSU and having trouble against teams that can beat you vertically like UGA and Tennessee.

BamaFan14 said:
...we need a stud DT for this defense to work, once we get one in there, Saban will be able to do more things...
And what about the redshirt freshman Brian Motley who made the switch to defensive tackle during these spring practices?. Saban said he was "the surprise of the spring". Anyone knows his evolution at DT position?. What are his chances to be our starter?. I've read he could be our rising star. that sounds good!...

RTR

I agree to a point....

However, we were in games last year with basically the same team (minus a couple of defensive guys). The biggest reason we lost games was the lack of offensive production. Redzone conversion was absolutely pathetic...
I truly believe our offense will be MUCH, MUCH better. Our defense will be about the same. Better in the secondary. D-line will be no worse if we see some players step up. Line backer could be better or worse. Hard to make that call just yet.
I see around 8 wins. However, I would not be the least surprised to see this team win 10-11 games and compete for the SEC West. Watch for the Tide to grab a couple of "Signature" wins.... Here's to a great year..... ;tr

Back
Top Bottom