| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC One day after they launch, CNN+ is already expecting layoffs?

TerryP

Staff
I was left shaking my head they chose to pursue a subscription based news service when their ratings give no reason to think people would pay extra for their coverage when they're not watching the network now.

On a related note here notice the difference in these two tweets? One was "ratioed" badly, the other (seemingly the same tweet) now has different numbers?

FPIw-E4WUA86V9f

Screenshot 2022-03-31 6.14.34 AM.png

I never expected this to go very well at all. It is at best an add on to the HBO Max/Discovery+ combined effort. The implication with CNN+ is that there is news on it that they won't cover on the primary channels, or at least there will be more depth to the coverage. But what it really winds up being is their infotainment shows like "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown" and some new and old talk shows. I am not sure many are going to pony up for that at all.

CNN+ should have been a part of Discovery+ at most. The back catalogue of some of their shows like the previously mentioned Anthony Bourdain show might be useful to a similar group of people and may even draw in some folks on the fence about Discovery+. But as a stand alone it was horrible.

lol, only 10k liberals want to watch CNN+

#RedWave
Agree wholeheartedly … but they aren’t liberals they’re leftists. Liberals would never allow much less advocate the silencing of dissenting voices, the indoctrination of children, the promotion of intellectual dishonesty or the press being used as propagandists. Calling them liberals gives today’s Democrats too much undeserved credit.

Imagine if the left would have passed the additional $4T in spending. Luckily there were some moderate democrats who stepped in.

And to think these idiots want to hand out gas cards vs just drill.

Big Government is no different than a drug addition.

And I don't have much faith in the republicans either.

Imagine if the left would have passed the additional $4T in spending. Luckily there were some moderate democrats who stepped in.

And to think these idiots want to hand out gas cards vs just drill.

Big Government is no different than a drug addition.

And I don't have much faith in the republicans either.
I agree with your post, especially your last two sentences.
There are very, very few in government, on both sides of the aisle, who actually look out for and help it's employers, we citizens.

Hilarious at how badly they read the room. 2020 was their best Total Day viewing year ever due to the election, 1.6 million average. In 2021 that more than halved to 773K. The first ratings for 2022 showed 653K. They are actually doing well in subscribers when they can get ~20% of their average daily viewers to subscribe to their app. But they expected millions, when they can't even draw that to the channel people already pay for.

Fox and CNN are not even close to the same niche really. NPR is probably closer to Fox as far as rabid fans.
Same niche in both are subscription based services; not ideology or message.

Demographics? Left leaning radio talk shows haven't been as successful as conservative. Sports talk carries its own.

This makes me think of the empire Rush built and look at the people brought in by CNN+ and wonder "where's the appeal?"

Same niche in both are subscription based services; not ideology or message.

Demographics? Left leaning radio talk shows haven't been as successful as conservative. Sports talk carries its own.

This makes me think of the empire Rush built and look at the people brought in by CNN+ and wonder "where's the appeal?"
NPR is the closest to what conservatives have done. It's following is rabid. Almost half the money it gets is from individuals. Mind you, it's free so you don't have to pay anything to get everything.

NPR is the closest to what conservatives have done. It's following is rabid. Almost half the money it gets is from individuals. Mind you, it's free so you don't have to pay anything to get everything.
NPR doesn't fit because no one is paying for their app. CNN+ and Fox Nation falls into a different group. (NPR is on Sirius and I'd assume they're getting paid; not technically free any longer.) They all have their niche. 🤷‍♂️

Misplaced modifiers: there's not much that sticks out more.

I've seen quite a few with, "why paid more for something you didn't watch when it was free?" Where did the CNN is free narrative begin? Probably a disconnect between people in the new industry and your regular ol' Joe: they think cable TV is a necessary utility.

Back
Top Bottom