| FTBL Offensive mindset

mongo4bama

Verified Member
The reason said mindset instead of philosophy because it is.

Well we wanted to what kind of an Offense Major Applewhite would run or at least I did. When you pass it on 3rd and three and less more that you run it you have a Finnese Offense it does not get it done we are trying to be too quite.

I agree with Optimus we must be able to run the ball it also helps toughen up the defense during practice.

It seems we are spending too much time on the 2 minute drill during practice as well.

I have other ideas but wanted to get it started with this and hear what others have to say.

a$# RTR

mongo,

I am not sure I follow what you are saying but it seems we are running a more conservative package than we did at first but I think we have to be able to perform the basics well before we can open up the offense. If we can't hit a 10 yard hitch or a simple screen, it seems to stand to reason we cannot do much else to open up the offense.

Personally, I don't think you can spend too much time on the 2 minute drill. We needed it again, twice, yesterday and if we recovered the onisdes kick, we would have needed to use it 3 times alone yesterday.

bamafan4ever said:
mongo,

I am not sure I follow what you are saying but it seems we are running a more conservative package than we did at first but I think we have to be able to perform the basics well before we can open up the offense. If we can't hit a 10 yard hitch or a simple screen, it seems to stand to reason we cannot do much else to open up the offense.

Personally, I don't think you can spend too much time on the 2 minute drill. We needed it again, twice, yesterday and if we recovered the onisdes kick, we would have needed to use it 3 times alone yesterday.
We needed the 2 minute drill everytime we touched the ball yesterday. It seems we are more alive on offense when we are playing no huddle.

Atlanta_Tider said:
bamafan4ever said:
mongo,

We needed the 2 minute drill everytime we touched the ball yesterday. It seems we are more alive on offense when we are playing no huddle.

Well, I know exactly what you are saying JJ but there is no way we can run that offense effectively because in the 2 minute drill you can assume the defense is going to "give" you the middle of the field and all sorts of underneath stuff that you won't see with 13 minutes left in the second quarter.

Do you want to see us run a spread with JPW at the helm?

bamafan4ever said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
bamafan4ever said:
mongo,

Well, I know exactly what you are saying JJ but there is no way we can run that offense effectively because in the 2 minute drill you can assume the defense is going to "give" you the middle of the field and all sorts of underneath stuff that you won't see with 13 minutes left in the second quarter.

I just want to see some bonding going on out there with the offense. JPW is too quick to look for his star receiver at times and doesn't seem to look at his other surroundings or options.

It just seems like when its time to run that 2 minute drill, everyone gets their shit together and plays. Otherwise we look very bad and lost on offense!
And JPW running the spread? You funny man!!!

JPW is too quick to look for his star receiver at times and doesn't seem to look at his other surroundings or options.

I totally agree. I know if you have a blitz you try and pick up the read, but when he has time it seems that he is just waiting for the primary WR to get open instead of checking the other WR's.

I am really surprise he does not have more int's already as you can just watch his eyes and see who he is going to throw to.

Atlanta_Tider said:
bamafan4ever said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
bamafan4ever said:
mongo,

I just want to see some bonding going on out there with the offense. JPW is too quick to look for his star receiver at times and doesn't seem to look at his other surroundings or options.

It just seems like when its time to run that 2 minute drill, everyone gets their sh*t together and plays. Otherwise we look very bad and lost on offense!

I could swear to you that this is a carryover from the Shula regime. I can only speculate about that, at best, but Shula was known to have spent more time with the QB's than anyone else on the team.

I think JPW is just in the midst of breaking some horrible habits that he has picked up along the way and when he does, he will be better than average.

bamafan4ever said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
bamafan4ever said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
bamafan4ever said:
mongo,

It just seems like when its time to run that 2 minute drill, everyone gets their sh*t together and plays. Otherwise we look very bad and lost on offense!

I could swear to you that this is a carryover from the Shula regime. I can only speculate about that, at best, but Shula was known to have spent more time with the QB's than anyone else on the team.

I think JPW is just in the midst of breaking some horrible habits that he has picked up along the way and when he does, he will be better than average.
I agree there are alot of bad habits being broken right now and that is why he is still on the field as the starter. I bet practice is hell on him right now, but it will be worth it in the future.

bama4life said:
JPW is too quick to look for his star receiver at times and doesn't seem to look at his other surroundings or options.

I totally agree. I know if you have a blitz you try and pick up the read, but when he has time it seems that he is just waiting for the primary WR to get open instead of checking the other WR's.

I am really surprise he does not have more int's already as you can just watch his eyes and see who he is going to throw to.

And I thought I was the only one that sees the obvious. When the ball is snapped you know which receiver it's going to.

bamafan4ever said:
BTW, JJ, I bet Star Jackson could run a more Applewhite-type offense.

Too bad we didn't recruit Pat White as a QB and therefore chase him away to WVU!

I'm not singling you out with this post, but you do bring up a point worth noting relative ( :lol: ) to the thread.

We have known what kind of offense we would be fielding for months now. Saban and the recruits he had contact with told us.

It is going to be like the offense Saban had at LSU.

It isn't an Applewhite offense. It never was. Now I see people picking on Pendry because he has input in the offense as well. Why not pick on Cignetti?

Painfully, this is beginning to remind me of all the people jumping on Rader last year because of play-calling when it was Shula all the time.

I would hope that people would pay attention to the facts that have been presented to them instead of characterizing our offense based on some of our staff's past employment.

TerryP said:
bamafan4ever said:
BTW, JJ, I bet Star Jackson could run a more Applewhite-type offense.

Too bad we didn't recruit Pat White as a QB and therefore chase him away to WVU!

I'm not singling you out with this post, but you do bring up a point worth noting relative ( :lol: ) to the thread.

We have known what kind of offense we would be fielding for months now. Saban and the recruits he had contact with told us.

It is going to be like the offense Saban had at LSU.

It isn't an Applewhite offense. It never was. Now I see people picking on Pendry because he has input in the offense as well. Why not pick on Cignetti?

Painfully, this is beginning to remind me of all the people jumping on Rader last year because of play-calling when it was Shula all the time.

I would hope that people would pay attention to the facts that have been presented to them instead of characterizing our offense based on some of our staff's past employment.

No problem, Terry. I don't feel "singled out" at all.

Saban was very clear during Spring camp and Fall camp that he would implement an offense that best matched the talent we had on the field. Does he probably have a preference? Absolutely. I think he is just dealing with the hand that was dealt.

bamafan4ever said:
No problem, Terry. I don't feel "singled out" at all.

Saban was very clear during Spring camp and Fall camp that he would implement an offense that best matched the talent we had on the field. Does he probably have a preference? Absolutely. I think he is just dealing with the hand that was dealt.

What strikes me as odd is the very same posts we see here are what you could have found on LSU forums when he was there.

Now, those people who complained about Fisher are talking about what a game plan he had for Lee yesterday.

The offensive production has leveled off the last two weeks. The competition, on the other hand, is in a different class than what we faced the first 3 weeks as well.

I'm expecting some to make comments about our offense and compare it to the high-octane offense we are going to face when we play Houston next week.

I can't wait 'til 9PM tonight. The 24 hour rule, ya know? Heck, I'm ready to move on to Houston already.

TerryP said:
I'm expecting some to make comments about our offense and compare it to the high-octane offense we are going to face when we play Houston next week.

I can't wait 'til 9PM tonight. The 24 hour rule, ya know? Heck, I'm ready to move on to Houston already.

Me too. Just come prepared with how the heck we stop 'em with our battled and bruised secondary.

Because the more time we spend in practice on the two minute drill the less time we have to practice the main part of our offense or lack thereof in the running game.
Our offense is a Finesse one no way getting around it pass blocking is fairly good but run blocking eh..

Like all others, last night left me wanting. When I get down, I try to remember that we didn't hire a new coach because we won the NC last year. We're really not a very good team, but that will change.

mongo4bama said:
Because the more time we spend in practice on the two minute drill the less time we have to practice the main part of our offense or lack thereof in the running game.
Our offense is a Finesse one no way getting around it pass blocking is fairly good but run blocking eh..

You've lost me here.

We do practice every day we practice on the "Red Ball" offense. But, the only difference in it is the fact we don't huddle. It's the same routes, same blocking responsibilities. It's is our main offense, just without the huddle.

Quite frankly, I don't understand the description of a finesse offense as well. Perhaps, you and I have different definitions of what a finesse offense is?

A finesse offense, in my opinion, is one that relies on a lot of trickery, flair. That is by far the opposite of what we are doing on the field.

Was it just me or did anyone else think our offensive line did pretty well in pass protection most of the time last night? I have not watched the broadcast yet but from being there, it looked like we kept the pressure off on most plays (I know they only rushed 3 many times) but our QB would look for his primary target and if it wasn't there he would start scrambling, even when he had time to look around. I may see different when I watch the broadcast though.

Rolltide24 said:
Was it just me or did anyone else think our offensive line did pretty well in pass protection most of the time last night? I have not watched the broadcast yet but from being there, it looked like we kept the pressure off on most plays (I know they only rushed 3 many times) but our QB would look for his primary target and if it wasn't there he would start scrambling, even when he had time to look around. I may see different when I watch the broadcast though.

Watch the game again. You'll see it differently.

Back
Top Bottom