| FTBL Offense is king

musso

Much has been said about how the game has evolved, in particular regarding offense. We all know that scoring matters more and more. So this may not impress anyone. But look at how similar the CFP rankings and Scoring Offense rankings are, entering into this weekend's games:

CFP rankings Scoring Offense
1. Georgia 11
2. Michigan 7
3. TCU 6
4. So Cal 3
5. Ohio St 2
6. Alabama 4
7. Tennessee 1

So the same teams in the CFP top 7 also make up the Scoring Offense top 7, except Georgia.

By contrast there are only two teams in the CFP top 7 with a top 10 Scoring Defense: Georgia #2, Bama tied at #9.

I used to pour over team statistics when I was young in the old era of the game, and it still shocks me to see how necessary scoring is to being ranked highly.

Last edited:
Crap the formatting didn't hold up after I submitted my post. The number to the right of the team is the Scoring Offense ranking, in case it's unclear.

Much has been said about how the game has evolved, in particular regarding offense. We all know that scoring matters more and more. So this may not impress anyone. But look at how similar the CFP rankings and Scoring Offense rankings are, entering into this weekend's games:

CFP rankings Scoring Offense
1. Georgia 11
2. Michigan 7
3. TCU 6
4. So Cal 3
5. Ohio St 2
6. Alabama 4
7. Tennessee 1

Now the funny thing is there are only two teams in the CFP top 7 with a top 10 Scoring Defense: Georgia #2, Bama tied at #9.

I used to pour over team statistics when I was young in the old era of the game, and it still shocks me to see how necessary scoring is to being ranked highly.
I guess it is what it is. I still believe our defense should be MUCH better than it is. Now when you have a great QB and WR's looks like ALL defenses are strained. I guess some of that is also the spread and RPO's as well.

Back
Top Bottom