| FTBL Odd's and End's, X's and O's, thinking about LSU...

TerryP

Staff
Big_Fan did a hell of a job breaking down this weeks game by the numbers in his Trickle down column this week.

I started looking at this game long before the season kicked off. When I wrote the LSU preview before the season started I thought I had a pretty good feel for what kind of team they would field this year.

On a lot of things, my mind hasn't changed that much. But, there are a couple of areas that bear noting today.

• I hope...

No, make that I pray, that we see LSU come out a lot in their "LSU Express" defensive line this weekend. I understand the concept of wanting as much speed as you can get along the defensive line, but this one has to be one of those coaching decisions that ranks close to the top of the "what the heck were they thinking" lists of mine.

If you aren't familiar with it, the "LSU Express" defensive line is a personnel grouping the LSU staff is using lately that features 4 DE's on the line instead of the interior being held down by 2 defensive tackles.

If you picture that, then consider a running play being led by Smith, Johnson and Caldwell with a TE like McCall sealing one of their linebackers I'm sure you are salivating as much as Coach McElwain is when he thinks about it.

I suspect, we'll see their defensive staff leave this one in the playbook this weekend. But, if not, I'll be sure to send a huge thank you note first thing Monday morning.
  • Speaking of their defensive line. If there is one thing I'm "concerned" about it's their defensive ends. I'm not as concerned with the left side, but I do wonder how often they are just going to pin back their ears and attack Drew Davis on the right tackle spot.

Kirston Pittman and Tyson Jackson? Whew. Both look like they have play on Sunday's in their future. They have spent a lot of time in the backfield of the opponents they've faced this year.

IF LSU lines up in a traditional set (2 DT's in the middle) I see this being the contest/battle of the game. (Our OL vs their DL) If they choose to go with the "Express..."
  • I suspected before the season that they would have question marks in their secondary. They still do.

One of the players I mentioned being the cornerstone of that grouping was their safety, Curtis Taylor. (how well/much he can play is questionable due to injury) He has been holding half of the INT's they have this season. Now, their secondary has 4 INT's on the year, so that does make you look at Taylor and pause a moment about actually how good their secondary has been this year. The other player in their secondary I pointed to in the preseason was Chris Hawkins. He has the other two INT's.

I bring this up because according to LSU's staff they plan on allowing their CB's to play man coverage this year with the thought they can handle our WR corps. Their efficiency numbers so far this season (9th in the SEC) makes me believe we'll have our opportunities here.
  • Taking both of those into account you see the Jekyll and Hyde personality of their defense. They have done well with their DL in terms of pressuring the QB, but that's balanced out by the inconsistency in their secondary.
  • One thing I missed in the preview was the role I expected Beckwith to have this year. Granted, he's missed two games due to injury but when he's played he hasn't been the same player he was a year ago. They have a LB by the name of Perry Riley that has stepped in and taken up some of the slack left by Darren, but over all this group hasn't performed to the level I expected going into this season.
  • One thing I can say today that I wouldn't have dreamed I could have said in the pre-season is this...

If we lined up both defenses and graded them on performances this season I'd have to give our defense a better grade. LSU has more depth, more experience but at the same time more breakdowns and problems than the Bama defense.

I definitely have to give LSU the nod in those terms along the DL (literally one could say they have two starting groups,) but the LB and DB's are a clear advantage for Bama.
  • There isn't a lot I can say about John Parker I haven't said before...so, a few thoughts on LSU's QB situation.

Again, in the preview, I thought it was going to be an area of concern. Now, when we add the recent injury to Hatch it becomes more of a concern.

Word our of LSU is that Jordan Jefferson has been taking a lot of snaps/reps in their practice this week. How much they decide to use him is a question we'll know the answer to Saturday night. Adding Jefferson into the mix doesn't change the preparation for LSU at all. We'd have done the same with Hatch if he was playing.

What does change is the experience part. Hatch had a over half of a season under his belt. Jefferson comes in with about as much experience this season as Thomas Darrah. Yeah, our walk-on QB.

Lee has had his trouble, but at times made the plays he needed to make. Word out of LSU also hints they may attempt a "hurry up" offense (as in no huddle with the team looking to the sidelines for the play call) this weekend.

In some cases, some teams and fans might be worried about that. In our case, not so much.

They'll approach the line, look at our set, look to the sidelines for the call, then run the play.

Now, ask yourself this question. How often do we remain in the same formation on defense from the beginning of the snap count to the end up the snap count.

A VERY clear advantage this week to Bama if they take this approach. We'll have our defenses so disguised that it'll be one heck of a challenge for their coaching staff to make the right calls. For a new QB to make the calls if they don't look to the sidelines?!?

Yeah, you are getting the picture.
  • We need two, at least one, of our other receivers to step up this week. Just going with Julio is going to work, but be an added pressure on JP.
  • Just a thought for you. We saw some pass calls in the Georgia game and the Clemson game that we haven't seen any more this year. In fact, there are several play calls we've used at times successfully but haven't seen brought back out anymore this season save a time or two.

We'll have some things on offense you'll like this week. You'll recognize most of it, but not all of it. I'd bet, there are a few "where's that been" comments Saturday afternoon.
  • Balance that "where's that been" phrase with "where did that come from" to be seen out of our defensive play calls this week.

Two players have said this that I've heard...maybe more. So, I'll pass it along for you to chew on.

We've seen around 10 different looks from our defense this season. However, comparing that which you've seen to what's been practiced? You've seen maybe a quarter of what the team has in its arsenal.

Set your DVR, TiVO, VCR, whatever...you'll want to watch some of this again.
  • Did you know that Coffee needs a little over 100 yards for a 1000 yard season?
  • Did you know our RB corps needs less than 200 to have 2000 on the season as a group?
  • We'll likely be right at, or may even break, 200 first downs for the season this weekend. Which, is below the mark we were sitting at this time last year. (13 games, 296 first downs...we are at 176 right now)
  • This game, in my opinion, falls on two things but one is more important than the other.

IF Lee has a solid game without mistakes our chances of leaving BR with a win are very, very small.

The second, our turnovers, rates behind that but to a larger degree than you might have imagined.

At least that's how I see it...

I hope...

No, make that I pray, that we see LSU come out a lot in their "LSU Express" defensive line this weekend. I understand the concept of wanting as much speed as you can get along the defensive line, but this one has to be one of those coaching decisions that ranks close to the top of the "what the heck were they thinking" lists of mine.

If you aren't familiar with it, the "LSU Express" defensive line is a personnel grouping the LSU staff is using lately that features 4 DE's on the line instead of the interior being held down by 2 defensive tackles.

If you picture that, then consider a running play being led by Smith, Johnson and Caldwell with a TE like McCall sealing one of their linebackers I'm sure you are salivating as much as Coach McElwain is when he thinks about it.

I suspect, we'll see their defensive staff leave this one in the playbook this weekend. But, if not, I'll be sure to send a huge thank you note first thing Monday morning.

The Express is typically only used on definite passing plays like 3rd and long. It is very very rare for it to be used any other play. Also the DE's used as tackles are Tremaine Johnson and Tyson Jackson, both of whom are as big as most DT's.

To me the most decisive difference in the two teams is that we have a senior qb who can make plays but for the most part makes good decisions, while they have a freshamn qb who has been both brilliant and disastrous. I think both defenses will load up against the run and that the game will come down to which qb performs best. I like our chances.

BAMA JAMMA said:
You had me hyped up until the end. :shock:

Here's to hoping we can force Lee/Jefferson into making mistakes.

RTR

:cry:

Sorry.

Let me say this...

In several games this year I've said "I feel very comfortable going into this game." There have been games this year that I've seen some "meltdown" in the game threads. I've seen some also come back on Sunday's looking for something to sweeten their breath because the nitro left a bitter taste in their mouth after near heart attacks the day before.

How I'll feel come Saturday morning is left to be seen. But today, Thursday night, after looking at this game for several months, I can honestly say...

I feel very comfortable going into this game against LSU.

It's a head versus gut thing, but both of them fall in the same column in W's instead of L's.

My head tells me this is a game where we'll see a Bama win by single digits. However, I keep thinking about two games in particular.

One, back in '96 and another in 2002. I'll let you do the research and find the similarities. :D

I agree with one thing you mention here Terry if Lee plays a good game it'll be hard for us to win, however i think we'll have to bring the heat to keep him honest and we need to do it often. He'll pick up apart if we dont.

I dont think you can be too confident or scared about this game. With some QB's you know what you are getting. But Lee has the ability to light it up (and give away free gifts to the defense)which is why I guess we'll have to just wait and see what happens.

I know the Golden Girls will be there and Im positive that excites me.

Terry, great analysis, as usual. You may have spent more time than you should on your write up, though. :wink:

You may also be too complimentary about the Tiger secondary. If JPW is connecting with open receivers (and there will be open receivers), it could be a very long afternoon for LSU's defense. However we may not take advantage of their dbs as much as Florida and Georgia did; I'm sure we will try to establish the running game, in order to keep the Tigers from pinning their ears back and getting after JPW.

I've watched all but one LSU game this season and have noticed two glaring weaknesses on defense, even before the Florida game when things really became obvious about LSU's defense.

I was surprised at some of the success MSU showed moving the ball against LSU (considering what an inept offense the Bulldogs have). Too bad that MSU could not stop Scott up the middle or else LSU might be looking at another loss. Little dump passes out in the flat gave the Tigers some problems.

With Florida and Georgia, the differences were simply personnel, mismatches, and experience at the QB spot.

Biggest concerns for me are our OL's pass protection and also the punt protection for p.j. Don't feel good about what I have been seeing lately in the punting game.

Honestly, provided we protect the ball on offense (keep the turnovers down), keep their return game hemmed up, and play the kind of physical football that Bama is capable of, we'll do just fine.

The worst thing about Saturday will be having to listen to Gary Danielson talk about how Florida is the best team in the SEC and how the Gators will win the SECCG and play for the NC.

Btw, I am more comfortable about this game than I was with Ole Miss or Kentucky. I'll be surprised and disappointed if the margin of victory isn't at least 17 points, Bama's favor.

RTR!

bear facts said:
Btw, I am more comfortable about this game than I was with Ole Miss or Kentucky. I'll be surprised and disappointed if the margin of victory isn't at least 17 points, Bama's favor.
I agree. I was nervous about this game a couple of weeks ago, but as it's gotten closer, I've gotten that 'pre-UGA' feeling. I think we'll roll 'em...something like 38-21.

TigerBait3 said:
I dont think you can be too confident or scared about this game. With some QB's you know what you are getting. But Lee has the ability to light it up (and give away free gifts to the defense)which is why I guess we'll have to just wait and see what happens.

I thought you had gotten past that Oedipus Complex problem with Estelle Getty? :shock:

TerryP said:
TigerBait3 said:

I thought you had gotten past that Oedipus Complex problem with Estelle Getty? :shock:
Never. However I get exciting thinking about God putting Palin here right after Getty passed away. Coincidence? I think not.

Palin in 30 years:
180px-EstelleGetty2.jpg

great read. I think the only thing that may change Saturday. is that we play a more complete game than we have to this point. and I hoping and thinking we might just come out like we did against UGA

Back
Top Bottom