| RECRUIT Noticed the "theme" of the recent commitments? Definitely a trait in common.

TerryP

Staff
When Adams announced yesterday @XXL TideFan asked about his official times. Straight line speed? He's a 4.5 guy with a track background.

Justin Jefferson committed recently and was described as being the fastest ILB Bama ever signed. I don't know. He's sub 4.5.

(Interesting commitment, right? We know JUCO's are normally signed with the intent of seeing playing time quickly. We know there's pretty good depth inside. Where does he line up in the fall? The staff has liked the potential for Jihad to play inside and outside, perhaps he slides out to cover the loss and Drew and JJ's after Blackshire? 🤷‍♂️ )

Brayson Hubbard has been timed as a 4.4 guy. I guess we'll call Mitchell slow running a 4.56? Perry Thompson's 4.45.

I know, speed is only a small part. I don't remember seeing this much, this early, in previous classes.

I think Saban is changing his defense once again, This whole thing reminds me of a article I just read recently.

The way He's recuiting LBs, CBs.. it's all centered around the star position: See the link:
Explanation of Star Position

The first and most sudden change we saw under Golding’s was the immediate move from the short-but-speedy cornerbacks UTSA used in the past to sturdily-built corners that stood over 6’0”. It was a huge change that seemed strange at the time but was very crucial, as Golding would go on to ask his defensive backs to play a ton of press coverage each season.

At the safety level, Golding seemed to prefer running a trio of safeties — one with great instincts that could play centerfield at free safety, a hard-hitting run-stopper at strong safety, and a speedy guy with the chops to cover slot receivers but with the toughness to bring down ball carriers in the tackle box as a safety/linebacker hybrid.
Alabama fans might want to read my breakdown of UTSA’s safety positions to get an idea of what they might be able to expect in Tuscaloosa if Golding is given much control over the defensive philosophy and scheme.

If you look at the following teams on West schedule who we kinda had issue with: TAMU, Georgia, Miss State, Auburn, Tennessee,... That would explain a lot on why we're shifting philosphy on Defense.

On Offense: We've had success with fast receivers who can catch, block and do it all. If a defense playing fast, we want to go faster.

I think Saban is changing his defense once again, This whole thing reminds me of a article I just read recently.

The way He's recuiting LBs, CBs.. it's all centered around the star position: See the link:
Explanation of Star Position

If you look at the following teams on West schedule who we kinda had issue with: TAMU, Georgia, Miss State, Auburn, Tennessee,... That would explain a lot on why we're shifting philosphy on Defense.

On Offense: We've had success with fast receivers who can catch, block and do it all. If a defense playing fast, we want to go faster.

Well with the way the game is changing, being physical at the defensive back position is not a good thing as they are flagged for breathing on a guy. Speed is the only thing that solves that problem with athletes that can shadow a receiver or tight end rather than man handle them and get their hands on them. I still like the 6'1-6'2 corners we are going after because watching Patrick Surtain was so much fun as they couldn't throw over him and then had ball hawking safeties on the outside ready to move. Ricks, Jackson, McKinstry, Hurley, and hopefully Cormani McClain are all that 6'1 and taller corners and I think it locks down the outside for us.

Also, our biggest achilles heel has been over the middle with our middle linebacker in coverage and getting absolutely blasted there. Maybe speed solves that, maybe it's scheme, or maybe it's intelligence that solves it, who knows.

When Adams announced yesterday @XXL TideFan asked about his official times. Straight line speed? He's a 4.5 guy with a track background.

Justin Jefferson committed recently and was described as being the fastest ILB Bama ever signed. I don't know. He's sub 4.5.

(Interesting commitment, right? We know JUCO's are normally signed with the intent of seeing playing time quickly. We know there's pretty good depth inside. Where does he line up in the fall? The staff has liked the potential for Jihad to play inside and outside, perhaps he slides out to cover the loss and Drew and JJ's after Blackshire? 🤷‍♂️ )

Brayson Hubbard has been timed as a 4.4 guy. I guess we'll call Mitchell slow running a 4.56? Perry Thompson's 4.45.

I know, speed is only a small part. I don't remember seeing this much, this early, in previous classes.
Adams ran a 10.65 100 meter so he definitely straight line fast. Jefferson ran a 4.34 40 last November … that’s fast for any position but especially fast for a ILB. I don’t think he’s got the wingspan to play OLB. Bryson ran a 4.5 at Bama’s camp so the 4.4’s certainly possible. Perry’s a 2024 commitment so he could/should improve on his 40 time. You’re right … Bama’s going for speed. Saban never looks at the number of stars but he absolutely looks at the numbers on the stop watch.

Fantastic insight, @TerryP. At some point I'm looking forward to diving back into the recruiting details... But this is great! RTR

Back
Top Bottom