| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ No. 4 Alabama Captures Seventh Straight SEC Contest with 85-64 Victory at Missouri

Let me state the obvious this team is really good. They cleaned up the little things with FT's and turnovers and the D had a little lull prior to SEC play but it appears to be back on track. On top of that they are a rebounding machine and can go 10 deep with players that can contribute. I am sure they are going to run into a team that is really hot and they may drop one or two but it is going to take an A++ game by a team to do it.

Roll Tide gentlemen this is a fun team to watch...

Welch was a good 3-pt shooter until he got to Bama. I wonder what’s going on with him.

Maybe confidence he has only played in six games but he is 8% from the 3pt line and FG is 14% that's terrible. And I don't think these stats include the bagel he threw up tonight.

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Four players scored in double figures to lead No. 4/4 Alabama past Missouri, 85-64, Saturday night in Mizzou Arena. With the win, the Crimson Tide captured its seventh straight Southeastern Conference win – all coming by double figures – to improve to 17-2 on the season and 7-0 in league play.

Noah Clowney led the Tide with 17 points and 14 rebounds for his second double-double of the season. Mark Sears scored 17 to match Clowney while Brandon Miller added 15. Both players pulled down eight boards to help contribute to Alabama's 53-45 advantage on the glass. Jahvon Quinerly came off the bench to collect 13 points, four rebounds and three assists off the bench.

The 21-point win was the second-largest victory over Mizzou in the 20 games played in series history (Alabama leads, 13-7), just behind a 23-point win in the 1996 NIT (72-49).

Alabama used a game-changing 14-0 run that spanned halftime – scoring the last seven points of the first half and first seven of the second – to take control of the game. The 14-straight points turned a 21-18 UA lead into a 17-point advantage (45-28) with 17:29 left.

Isiaih Mosley led Missouri (14-5, 3-4 SEC) with 19 points while Mohamed Diarra finished with eight points and 12 rebounds. The Tigers were without leading scorer Kobe Brown due to an injury.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"That was a tough road game, a sellout and Coach (Dennis) Gates has done a really great job reinvigorating the program and the fan base. They play an exciting style and people come to watch it. We are fortunate that they couldn't make a three tonight and it certainly helped our defense out, but I thought they didn't quit. They scrap and play hard so give our guys a lot of credit because I thought we played hard for a majority of the game. We had a big point of emphasis that Missouri is No. 1 in turning the ball over and turnover rate on defense so we had 11 turnovers in the game. If you look, Mark Sears and Brandon Miller played 33 minutes-plus each and almost played 70 minutes combined and only had one turnover between the two of them. Our guys have been doing what we've asked them to do for the most part. I thought we could have done a little better job on the glass, but you got to give Missouri a ton of credit. It was a tough road game and road (wins) are not easy to come by, so I thought it was great and give our guys a lot of credit."

TEAM STATS​

• The Tide's defense was exceptional, holding the Tigers to just 10.7 percent (3-of-28) from beyond the arc and 32.9 percent (23-of-70) from the field
  • Despite owning a slim 16-14 edge on the offensive glass, Alabama took advantage with a 21-7 lead in second chance points
  • Alabama improved to 6-0 in true road games, including an SEC-leading four road victories
  • With seven SEC wins by a combined 147 points (593-446), which averages out to a +21.0 scoring margin
  • Rylan Griffen finished with nine points on a season-best three three-pointers
  • Clowney was the Hard Hat Award recipient

FIRST HALF​

• Alabama ended the opening stanza on a 7-0 run to take a 38-28 lead into the locker room
  • Prior to that, the game was close and featured four ties and six lead changes
  • Brandon Miller and Mark Sears led Alabama in scoring with nine points each
  • Alabama's defense limited Mizzou to 1-12 from the three-point line in the first half
  • The Crimson Tide had seven fast break points, while holding Mizzou to just two points
  • Alabama converted 11-of-15 free throws and held the Tigers to just 5-of-7 from the charity stripe

SECOND HALF​

• The Tide began the half by scoring the first seven points of the stanza, completing the 14-0 run to take its largest lead at 45-38
  • UA collected 10 assists on its 13 made field goals in the half
  • Alabama would continue to build its advantage and led by as many as 21 points on four different occasions over the final 20 minutes, the last coming on Sears' two free throws with 23 seconds to play that resulted in the final score

UP NEXT​

• Alabama will return home to face Mississippi State next Wednesday night at Coleman Coliseum
  • The contest will tipoff at 8 p.m. CT and air live on the SEC Network

Let me state the obvious this team is really good. They cleaned up the little things with FT's and turnovers and the D had a little lull prior to SEC play but it appears to be back on track. On top of that they are a rebounding machine and can go 10 deep with players that can contribute. I am sure they are going to run into a team that is really hot and they may drop one or two but it is going to take an A++ game by a team to do it.

Roll Tide gentlemen this is a fun team to watch...
@AU and @TN.....

Talk about tough games...

Oats said recently that Welch has turned the corner in practice after being out for so long... I think he's just trying to get him to do it in the games now. Come tournament time, would be nice to have another guy with some minutes who is playing well and can come off the bench and hold his own. He appears to be having confidence issues and pressing on offense... like the batter who is in an 0-30 slump and starts swinging at balls and taking strikes... then they hit a bleeder into left for a late inning single and go 3-4 the next night. At some point, Welch will find it and the team will be better off for it.

Oats said recently that Welch has turned the corner in practice after being out for so long... I think he's just trying to get him to do it in the games now. Come tournament time, would be nice to have another guy with some minutes who is playing well and can come off the bench and hold his own. He appears to be having confidence issues and pressing on offense... like the batter who is in an 0-30 slump and starts swinging at balls and taking strikes... then they hit a bleeder into left for a late inning single and go 3-4 the next night. At some point, Welch will find it and the team will be better off for it.
Being on this team might be a little intimidating :). I hope he is what Oats has advertised him to be. These guys are getting better and better. If they get some of these other guys to lock in holy cow. Riley is getting better and better and Quinerly starting to get his stroke bakc, having another sniper from 3 would be absolutely beast mode to go with Miller, Spears and Clowney. How would you defend that?

Being on this team might be a little intimidating :). I hope he is what Oats has advertised him to be. These guys are getting better and better. If they get some of these other guys to lock in holy cow. Riley is getting better and better and Quinerly starting to get his stroke bakc, having another sniper from 3 would be absolutely beast mode to go with Miller, Spears and Clowney. How would you defend that?
Not but one ball....

Back
Top Bottom