| BSB/SB šŸ„Ž Ninth-Inning Surge Gives Alabama 4-0 Shutout over Missouri to Clinch Weekend Series (SUN 2 CT on SEC Network)

Not having a solid #2 pitcher is going to be Murphy's downfall this season.
I agree and whose fault would that be? He let his #2 pitcher walk out the door and sheā€™s now having a great year at Oklahoma State. Sheā€™s had something like 27 starts and pitched in over 30 games. Not to mention Oklahoma State is ranked #2 in the country just behind Oklahoma.

Not even close.

I'm just asking because it really doesn't matter to me, but when does that come? How long do you let a program slide before you make a decision. I look at Florida State and Penn State and how Bowdon and Paterno held on too long in my mind. We know Jimbo's antics in Tallahassee, but still, Bowdon held on too long and the program has been reeling for years. Murphy doesn't seem to want to change anything. people like you that are a little closer to the program could probably educate me, but I simply do not see anything of note outside of having a top tier pitcher in the circle the last 4-5 years.

I'm just asking because it really doesn't matter to me, but when does that come? How long do you let a program slide before you make a decision. I look at Florida State and Penn State and how Bowdon and Paterno held on too long in my mind. We know Jimbo's antics in Tallahassee, but still, Bowdon held on too long and the program has been reeling for years. Murphy doesn't seem to want to change anything. people like you that are a little closer to the program could probably educate me, but I simply do not see anything of note outside of having a top tier pitcher in the circle the last 4-5 years.

He's never really had to change much. The last time I can remember him making a big change was when he dumped Vann Stuedeman and hired VanBrakle... a move that needed to be made, yet surprised many fans based on the loyalty he had shown Stuedeman. I personally wish he'd bring in a proven hitting coach to fill the extra position for next season, but I also don't think he has to go that route to get the team back to where it needs to be. But, he's going to have to try and get more SEC ready hitters. The stupid scholarship limitations were a huge obstacle with that... you can only slice the money pie so many ways while still giving those players value and keeping your top players happy. But, with NIL/collectives now, that should make things considerably easier manage. With how the team is trending though, and OU and Texas walking in the SEC front door, the hill is as steep as it has been for him since his early days of taking over. I still say, he's more than earned the right to figure things out, make adjustments on the field, and off the field, and get things back on track.

The game has evolved. The better teams now hit the ball, team batting averages close to .400. This teams batting average is .291. Fielding percentages should be in the .980 to .990 range to compete, this teams is .966. Should easily sweep teams like Missouri (they are bad). This team is better than an average team but not what weā€™re accustomed to. They will probably host a regional but not a super this year, unless theirs is more consistency at the plate. Murph is a good coach but he needs to change his approach to stay relevant at a national levelā€¦

He's never really had to change much. The last time I can remember him making a big change was when he dumped Vann Stuedeman and hired VanBrakle... a move that needed to be made, yet surprised many fans based on the loyalty he had shown Stuedeman. I personally wish he'd bring in a proven hitting coach to fill the extra position for next season, but I also don't think he has to go that route to get the team back to where it needs to be. But, he's going to have to try and get more SEC ready hitters. The stupid scholarship limitations were a huge obstacle with that... you can only slice the money pie so many ways while still giving those players value and keeping your top players happy. But, with NIL/collectives now, that should make things considerably easier manage. With how the team is trending though, and OU and Texas walking in the SEC front door, the hill is as steep as it has been for him since his early days of taking over. I still say, he's more than earned the right to figure things out, make adjustments on the field, and off the field, and get things back on track.

I don't disagree that he has earned the right to figure it out. You just have to wonder if he is actually interested in figuring that out. I don't feel like we have the necessary depth to be a Top 10 team, yet we have the backing of the university and I have zero doubt we have the funding to keep the program moving forward. I say "you wonder if he has the desire to make a change", because he has been questioned about hitting for years now, not just one or two seasons. Hard to simply put it on the pitchers and expect them to strike out ten every outing with no run support. As you said, Oklahoma coming into the SEC will only make it tougher. It shows that other programs have caught and surpassed us within our conference. Sad to see us fall. I feel the same about the baseball program and do not think we should be a struggling program with what the university has dumped into facilities and all of its athletic programs.

I don't disagree that he has earned the right to figure it out. You just have to wonder if he is actually interested in figuring that out. I don't feel like we have the necessary depth to be a Top 10 team, yet we have the backing of the university and I have zero doubt we have the funding to keep the program moving forward. I say "you wonder if he has the desire to make a change", because he has been questioned about hitting for years now, not just one or two seasons. Hard to simply put it on the pitchers and expect them to strike out ten every outing with no run support. As you said, Oklahoma coming into the SEC will only make it tougher. It shows that other programs have caught and surpassed us within our conference. Sad to see us fall. I feel the same about the baseball program and do not think we should be a struggling program with what the university has dumped into facilities and all of its athletic programs.

I think there's definitely some roster issues... even coming into the season we knew unless Essman ended up being an overlooked gem somehow, then there was not going to be a high level #2 behind Fouts... in a league where you have to have one, and really, need a third. That's why I think his biggest adjustment area is roster management... recruiting, getting transfers that can will make an impact, and also keeping the top talent he does get from leaving. That's a lot of balls in the air to deal with, but he's going to have to find a way to do it. He made a comment a while back that when players wanted out of the program, it bothered him.... hurt him personally. He was sort of saying that he was having to learn to not take it personally, but that it was hard for him based on the culture he'd tried to create over the years. But that's at least a glimpse of some self-awareness of the situation, which gives me hope in other areas. Players are going to transfer out, that ain't stopping. The key is to keep the ones you need to keep and do everything possible to replace any that do leave with equal or better players. Easier said than done, but there's probably only a half dozen schools or so who should be better positioned than Alabama to do that.

Oklahoma is the standard. They recruit athletes that are capable at at least 2 positions and have a great approach at the plate. Gasso doesnā€™t recruit specific positions,(other than pitchers). This is straight outta gassoā€™s mouth.

Back
Top Bottom