| PRO NFL to expand to 17 games starting this season

With NFL expected to expand regular-season schedule to 17 games this week, a look at likely dates - CBSSports.com

The NFL is set to implement a 17-game schedule this week, the first time the league will expand the schedule since 1978 when games were increased from 14 games to 16 games, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. The league's owners will meet this week and are expected to ratify the schedule expansion, as has been expected for several months.

As for the 2021 regular season schedule -- here's what to expect, per Warren Sharp of Sharp Football Analysis:

• No extra bye week (17 games on 18 weekends)
  • Week 1 (first regular season Sunday): Sept. 12, 2021 (week after Labor Day weekend)
  • Week 18 (final regular season Sunday): Jan. 9, 2022
  • Super Bowl Sunday: Feb. 13, 2022 (week before President's Day weekend)
  • Wild Card Weekend will have two games on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2022; three games on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022; and one game on Monday, Jan. 17, 2022.

With NFL expected to expand regular-season schedule to 17 games this week, a look at likely dates - CBSSports.com

The NFL is set to implement a 17-game schedule this week, the first time the league will expand the schedule since 1978 when games were increased from 14 games to 16 games, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. The league's owners will meet this week and are expected to ratify the schedule expansion, as has been expected for several months.

As for the 2021 regular season schedule -- here's what to expect, per Warren Sharp of Sharp Football Analysis:

• No extra bye week (17 games on 18 weekends)
  • Week 1 (first regular season Sunday): Sept. 12, 2021 (week after Labor Day weekend)
  • Week 18 (final regular season Sunday): Jan. 9, 2022
  • Super Bowl Sunday: Feb. 13, 2022 (week before President's Day weekend)
  • Wild Card Weekend will have two games on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2022; three games on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022; and one game on Monday, Jan. 17, 2022.

surprised that they didnt expand playoffs
Was expecting it. Now a 6 month season
soon to be like nba.

How many preseason games?

Edited based on brain fart

Supposedly, the NFL was going to get what they wanted (17 games season) by giving the players what they wanted (reduced preseason games). There was thought at the time that preseason games could be cut back to just two. Obviously the players wanted a bigger cut of the revenue also. The NFL is also trying to arrange things so that the Super Bowl falls on the Sunday before President's Day (something I thought made sense for years).

Last edited:
The additional game was the biggest single point of contention in the CBA fight. According to some of “”jr” union members it got railroaded through although nobody has shown proof of how

Honestly I don’t look upon an extra non conference game as anything for the regular fan base to get excited about. It is all tied to the upcoming new tv deal and the money that 16 more televised games will produce. All of which goes back to the owners as there was no extra compensation agreed to for the players

I really don’t see how it passed and it has also contributed to the poor feelings that many NFL players have with current union rep, who’s name I forget at this point but they basically say he is more a friend to owners than he is to players

Edited based on brain fart

Supposedly, the NFL was going to get what they wanted (17 games season) by giving the players what they wanted (reduced preseason games). There was thought at the time that preseason games could be cut back to just two. Obviously the players wanted a bigger cut of the revenue also. The NFL is also trying to arrange things so that the Super Bowl falls on the Sunday before President's Day (something I thought made sense for years).

What's the point of the extra game? More home game revenues?

I would imagine the players hate it due to taxing the body and the fact their contracts aren't as lucrative by spreading out their pay by an extra game.

Am I on the right track with my assumptions?

What's the point of the extra game? More home game revenues?

I would imagine the players hate it due to taxing the body and the fact their contracts aren't as lucrative by spreading out their pay by an extra game.

Am I on the right track with my assumptions?

More $$$, home, away, or neutral site. More games means more TV revenue. More games mean more ticket (and higher ticket) revenue. Preseason games don't command the same price as regular season games. Even if they are dropping a preseason game, higher regular season ticket prices means more money.

Now, since they are only adding ONE more game, helf the teams will add a home game and half won't. Who gets the extra home game? Will it be based on W-L in 2020? Will the better teams or the not-so-good teams get the extra game?

I don't know if I've ever watched in entire NFL game. I know I've never seen a complete Super Bowl.; maybe a quarter, here and there. But I just have no interest.

I like when the guys from BAMA do well. But when they play against each other, I find it difficult to root for one over the other. I just hope they all have good seasons and stay healthy.

I don't know if I've ever watched in entire NFL game. I know I've never seen a complete Super Bowl.; maybe a quarter, here and there. But I just have no interest.

I like when the guys from BAMA do well. But when they play against each other, I find it difficult to root for one over the other. I just hope they all have good seasons and stay healthy.
Miami vs new england is one. Tua vs jones

Back
Top Bottom