| FTBL Next Year's Returnee's

Portside

I know that digestion is something everyone is having a problem with today. We were told going in that this season was going to difulcult. Some bought into it. Some didn't. We started off with bang and things when downhill from there to a whisper. And it's that whispering that we need to be careful of. A lot things have been said last night and today by a lot of people both positive and negative. Let us just remember to keep the whispering on the positive side. On that note, will someone take time to list the players coming back that hopefully will make an impact. Maybe not just those seniors next year but a good honest look at positions and personnel.

OFFENSE
John Parker Wilson, QB (we will see about him)
Terry Grant, RB
Jimmy Johns, RB (maybe a LB switch?)
Glen Coffee, RB
Roy Upchurch, RB
Jonathan Lowe, RB/WR/KR
Jeramie Griffin, FB
Earl Alexander, WR
Brandon Gibson, WR
Marquis Maze, WR/KR
Mike McCoy, WR
Will Oakley, WR
Nikita Stover, WR
Travis McCall, TE
Nick Walker, TE
Andre Smith, OT
Antion Caldwell, C (hopefully he'll be able to stay at Center)

DEFENSE
Rolando McClain, LB
Prince Hall, LB
Ezekial Knight, LB
Jennings Hester, LB
Brian Motley, NT
Bobby Greenwood, DE
Lorenzo Washington, DT
Luther Davis, DE
Rashad Johnson, S
Kareem Jackson, CB
Javier Arenas, DB/KR
Lionel Mitchell, CB (he needs to improve)
Justin Woodall, DB

SPECIAL TEAMS
Leigh Tiffin, K
Javier Arenas, KOR/PR (i hope they give him a shot on 'O' too)
Jonathan Lowe, KOR
Marquis Maze, KR

those are the guys that I think CAN make an impact next year. and hopefully we will have a great group of Freshmen coming in, some of which can make an impact early.

FWIW, 37, Cardwell will probably be at Center next season. Caldwell will be back as well. Mike Johnson also returns.

Demetrius Goode will probably be seeing some playing time as well. He's been pretty mobile in practice lately...I'm thinking he'll be ready when spring camp hits.

I really believe Javy's calling is in the defensive backfield as well. Think about this for just a minute...

Can you imagine his closing speed on a receiver that a QB thinks is open?

ACL11190 said:
Who is Marquis Maze....never heard of him?

Speedster out of Birmingham, came in with last years class. He was one of the late commits that Steele pulled out of Birmingham. Hell, in his Jr. year he was averaging over 10 yards per carry...RB, Rcvr and played in the defensive backfield as well.

TerryP said:
FWIW, 37, Cardwell will probably be at Center next season. Caldwell will be back as well. Mike Johnson also returns.

Demetrius Goode will probably be seeing some playing time as well. He's been pretty mobile in practice lately...I'm thinking he'll be ready when spring camp hits.

I really believe Javy's calling is in the defensive backfield as well. Think about this for just a minute...

Caldwell is an All American at Center, but if we can use both Cardwell (who has done a pretty good job at Center in replace of Caldwell) and Caldwell on the line then im all for it as long as Caldwell is able to play at what other position at the same high level as he does at Center. are you thinking maybe staying at Tackle other side of Andre? he looked a lil lost at times last night (which is understandable it being his first start at Tackle) but im sure hed surely be better after a years worth of practice at the position. or maybe a lil easier transition to Guard?

yea Javy has made HUGE strides in becoming a good DB this year and yea QB's would be scared to death of him jumping routes. but what i was thinking was not him come to the offense full time (because i think we will have enough talent on the outside and in the backfield) but use him in maybe a Champ Bailey type of role that he played at Georgia and what Devin Hester does now in the pros. you know, a DB (maybe eventually a starting Corner but def. a nickel back) and return man, but coming in and lining up in the backfield or in the slot and using him in different packages.

Birdman37 said:
TerryP said:

Caldwell is an All American at Center, but if we can use both Cardwell (who has done a pretty good job at Center in replace of Caldwell) and Caldwell on the line then im all for it as long as Caldwell is able to play at what other position at the same high level as he does at Center. are you thinking maybe staying at Tackle other side of Andre? he looked a lil lost at times last night (which is understandable it being his first start at Tackle) but im sure hed surely be better after a years worth of practice at the position. or maybe a lil easier transition to Guard?

yea Javy has made HUGE strides in becoming a good DB this year and yea QB's would be scared to death of him jumping routes. but what i was thinking was not him come to the offense full time (because i think we will have enough talent on the outside and in the backfield) but use him in maybe a Champ Bailey type of role that he played at Georgia and what Devin Hester does now in the pros. you know, a DB (maybe eventually a starting Corner but def. a nickel back) and return man, but coming in and lining up in the backfield or in the slot and using him in different packages.

I couldn't begin to guess how the OL lines up next season. Cardwell has been slated as a C since he arrived on campus. BUT, we haven't had the same line on offense all year long. Heck, Andre is the only one.

I understand what you are saying about Javy. But, we have enough athletes on campus that it's not all on Javy. Burton Scott, although I see him as a CB, could easily fit that role. Not to mention Bolten.

It'll all play out. We'll know more after we get into spring camp. Which, I suspect will be closed. (hoping)

TerryP said:
Birdman37 said:
TerryP said:

I couldn't begin to guess how the OL lines up next season. Cardwell has been slated as a C since he arrived on campus. BUT, we haven't had the same line on offense all year long. Heck, Andre is the only one.

I understand what you are saying about Javy. But, we have enough athletes on campus that it's not all on Javy. Burton Scott, although I see him as a CB, could easily fit that role. Not to mention Bolten.

It'll all play out. We'll know more after we get into spring camp. Which, I suspect will be closed. (hoping)

yea one thing we do, sorely need on the O-Line is continuity. like u said, Andre is the only one to start every game this year. and yea we do have alot of great Athletes, but Javy just seems like a special player. one of those once in a life time type guys. like a David Palmer or a Tyrone Prothro type player.

Back
Top Bottom