| NEWS ⚽ NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament~COLLEGE CUP ⚽ Alabama Soccer’s Historic Season Comes to Close with College Cup Loss to UCLA

Had I ever really understood, I'd have preferred centerback, even right back. I mostly played midfield.
The school I went to in high school dropped football (expense) and went to soccer my freshman year. Our coach took the old football field and went immediately to a pitch that was 120'x70'. We ran the hell out of teams.

It still amazes me we started practice with six to eight laps around the field.

The school I went to in high school dropped football (expense) and went to soccer my freshman year. Our coach took the old football field and went immediately to a pitch that was 120'x70'. We ran the hell out of teams.

It still amazes me we started practice with six to eight laps around the field.

That's what off-season workouts are for. The more time coaches spend doing that stuff, the less time they have to practice.

CARY, N.C. – The Alabama soccer team's record-setting 2022 season came to an end Friday night with a 3-0 loss to UCLA in the semifinals of the NCAA Women's College Cup which was played in front of a sold-out crowd at WakeMed Soccer Park. With the loss, the Crimson Tide closed its historic 2022 season with a final overall record of 23-3-1.

From Head Coach Wes Hart

"What a wonderful experience for our program. The NCAA put on a first-class event and we feel fortunate to have had this opportunity. Credit to UCLA for a great game. They were able to break our press a few times early, which gave them some confidence and took the wind out of our sails. We are a team that thrives on frustrating our opponents and we weren't able to do that tonight. This one stings a lot. To come this close and come up short of a national championship hurts, but when it finally wears off, I hope our players will look back at this season and be able to see how incredible it was. We accomplished way more than anyone thought was possible. We shattered almost every program record and achieved so many program firsts.

"I'm going to miss these seniors. What they've meant to and done for this program is remarkable. I truly can't put it into words, but no doubt they can leave here knowing they left Bama soccer in a good place."

How It Happened​

• The Crimson Tide gave up a season-high three goals as UCLA scored in the 30th minute, 52nd minute and 54th minute to punch its ticket to Monday's national title match
  • McKinley Crone made eight saves, including three in the opening minutes of the contest to keep the game scoreless early on
  • Alabama's Riley Mattingly Parker scored on a diving header at the 26:41 mark, but the goal was disallowed due to an offsides call
  • Just under three minutes later, at the 29:31 mark, Reilyn Turner scored the game-winner for the Bruins
  • UCLA found its second goal in the 52nd minute as Quincy McMahon fired a ball through traffic
  • Less than two minutes later, Madelyn Desiano sailed a shot from the top of the box into the net to make it 3-0
  • Seven of the Tide's 11 shots were on frame, while the Bruins finished with 20 shots including 11 on frame

Game Notes​

• Alabama finished the season at 23-3-1 overall while UCLA improved to 21-2-1
  • UA set program record for points (220), goals (76), assists (68), shots (539), shots on goal (231), wins (23) and shutouts (12)
  • The contest marked the first time Alabama played in the College Cup
  • UCLA is the first team to score three goals on the Crimson Tide this season
  • Friday's contest marked the first in series history between UCLA and Alabama
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaSoccer on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaSoccer on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.

-UA-

Great season. It was actually fun to watch Women's soccer, which I had never done. Wes Hart got us to the Sweet 16 last year, then the Final Four this year. No doubt he is building a great program here. Use this loss as more motivation to get that title next season.

Back
Top Bottom