| PRO Namath says “Burrows is better than he ever was” … say it ain’t so Joe!

Davestwin

Joe Namath was the first great QB I knew of, the first QB I followed in the NFL and the first iconic player I ever cheered for no matter where he played. So, I’m biased but there’s no way I will concede Burrow’s better than Joe Willie … not at this stage of his career. Plus I hate comparing players from different eras.

Injuries are part of football but I firmly believe had Joe had better knees he would have dominated the AFL/NFL during the 60’s and 70’s. Oh well, his saying that does show the class we’ve come to expect from Joe. One of the greatest ambassadors of Alabama football … ever!

Anyway, other than Brady, who do you think was the greatest NFL QB ever … in the era they played? I would probably say Montana.

Joe Namath was the first great QB I knew of, the first QB I followed in the NFL and the first iconic player I ever cheered for no matter where he played. So, I’m biased but there’s no way I will concede Burrow’s better than Joe Willie … not at this stage of his career. Plus I hate comparing players from different eras.

Injuries are part of football but I firmly believe had Joe had better knees he would have dominated the AFL/NFL during the 60’s and 70’s. Oh well, his saying that does show the class we’ve come to expect from Joe. One of the greatest ambassadors of Alabama football … ever!

Anyway, other than Brady, who do you think was the greatest NFL QB ever … in the era they played? I would probably say Montana.

Montana
Bradshaw

Guys were winners

Besides Brady, I'd say Joe Montana.

The problem I have with judging QBs today however is that the game is so skewed in their favor that it is hard for me to say they are legendary. Even Tom Brady, who is undoubtedly the GOAT, would not have lasted as long as he did if he played in the 1980s/early 90s like Montana did. Montana called it a quits because his body was physically beat to shit. Brady/Favre/Roethlisberger/Brees all lasted as long as they did because the NFL made it their mission to protect their sacred cash cows.

Besides Brady, I'd say Joe Montana.

The problem I have with judging QBs today however is that the game is so skewed in their favor that it is hard for me to say they are legendary. Even Tom Brady, who is undoubtedly the GOAT, would not have lasted as long as he did if he played in the 1980s/early 90s like Montana did. Montana called it a quits because his body was physically beat to shit. Brady/Favre/Roethlisberger/Brees all lasted as long as they did because the NFL made it their mission to protect their sacred cash cows.
You’re exactly right and that’s a big part of why I don’t like comparing players from one era to another. By the way, the same is true of receivers. Going across the middle used to separate the greats from the merely goods. Once the NFL defanged LB’s and safeties by eliminating their ability to make receivers pay whether they caught the ball or not, receivers gained a huge adavantage. They now know they can go up for a ball thrown across the middle without fear of having their head taken off. I’m not saying the rule changes weren’t needed … I’m just saying the rule changes dramatically altered how receivers are judged.

I don't think Namath was the best based on ability (although substantial), but no one was cooler. :cool:
Again though, his ability was greatly diminished because of repeated injuries. Coach Bryant said Namath was the greatest athlete he ever coached. All that changed after his second knee injury. Today’s QB’s also benefit from not having to call the plays. Namath was considered one of the greatest ever in reading defenses and every receiver said no QB at that time had a stronger arm. Anyway, I realize I’m biased but I so wish people could have seen Namath before the injuries changed how he played the game.

Namath
Stabler
Jones
Tua
Jalen.

Ok I maybe I have a Bama bias.

In all seriousness Montana, Staubach and Bradshaw were great during their eras based on what they accomplished.

Brady for sure during his era.

Bigger picture I would still go with Montana if you had to go across eras which is really hard to do.

Last edited:
I too think it is an apple and orange comparison due to so many factors.
I do think that guys this day and age have a better grasp of the position than QB's back in the day. Burrow is a prime example. He is 2 year removed from college and playing in the super bowl. I remember seeing an interview with Joe Namath several years ago and they were talking with him and several great QB's from that time period. All of them essentially said that by the time they were where they needed to be mentally, that their bodies were shot. ie....Joe Willie's knees were gone. Namath talked about yawning in the huddle while calling plays. Took them several years to grasp the offense and all of the ins/outs of the details of everything. Guys today are on a much more accelerated curve.

Think of how the guys treated their bodies during the off season back then. Training camp was just that, time to get their lazy asses back in shape. Guys now, eat and exercise religiously 24/7 for the 17 week grind of the NFL. I do think QB's today are ahead mentally from a knowledge of the game standpoint as opposed to 30-50 years ago.

You’re exactly right and that’s a big part of why I don’t like comparing players from one era to another. By the way, the same is true of receivers. Going across the middle used to separate the greats from the merely goods. Once the NFL defanged LB’s and safeties by eliminating their ability to make receivers pay whether they caught the ball or not, receivers gained a huge adavantage. They now know they can go up for a ball thrown across the middle without fear of having their head taken off. I’m not saying the rule changes weren’t needed … I’m just saying the rule changes dramatically altered how receivers are judged.
Yeah....that safety from Raiders....cant remember name.... nobody wanted to come across middle on him....he would decleat ur senses.... Lester something?

Saw Namath at Bama early in career.... he was best and most exciting player i ever saw
..Never saw anything like him at bama til Tua

Burrowis solid regardless of your fandom. I have become a fan of his play. He's getting arrogant with his outfits and his comment about "making too much money to be fake" when referring to his diamonds. He not learn anything from Cameron Newton?

Him and Mac are a lot alike. Cerebral, cool, calm, collected, and can make plays.

Burrowis solid regardless of your fandom. I have become a fan of his play. He's getting arrogant with his outfits and his comment about "making too much money to be fake" when referring to his diamonds. He not learn anything from Cameron Newton?

Him and Mac are a lot alike. Cerebral, cool, calm, collected, and can make plays.
That damn lsu game in 2019...still have burrow nightmares

Were you also thinking about Lester Hayes? The guy that had all the stickum on his hands?

Did a quick search and Jack Tatum was nicknamed "The Assassin".
He was that … but the best safety I ever saw was Ronnie Lott. He could not only decleat any receiver, he could also cover and was absolutely a beast in run support. Today, he and Tatum would be thrown out of every game.

Back
Top Bottom