| FTBL My all-time favorite Bama running back

yea Shaun is my all time favorite player and the 2 games that always pop right in my head when i think about Alexander is the '96 game against LSU & the '99 Iron Bowl. i remember everytime Shaun would carry the ball in that game against Auburn he would come back to the huddle hobbling a little and u could see the pain on his face (coming off the ankle injury that pretty much ended his Heisman hopes) but he kept pounded it away. pretty much put Bama on his back in the second half. and obviously the 291 yard, 4 TD game against LSU his redshirt freshmen year and the story about that game is incredible. if uve read his book you know what im talking about. he had a HORRIBLE week of practice leading up to the game and the coaches had told him he wasnt playing so he and his roommate at the hotel (another backup RB) stayed up all night playing NCAA basketball on Playstaion and then spent much of the morning playing it too. he said he was so tired that he didnt even put on all his pads and was wearing his practice cleats. when Dennis Riddle got injured they called in for Curtis Alexander (who had a cracked wrist) but called a play to the side that Curtis couldnt run because of his wrist. luckily ESPN called a TV timeout and they called for Alexander to come in. next play he busted it open for his 1st TD. he said he was just in the zone after that.

Mine will still continue to be Bobby Humphries and Shaud, for nostalgic reasons I guess. Love what both of those guys brought to the U during their time there.

porkchop said:
Mine will still continue to be Bobby Humphries and Shaud, for nostalgic reasons I guess. Love what both of those guys brought to the U during their time there.
Hey 'chop. I love Bobby Humphrey as well. He's one of my favourites ever in 'Bama history. What a game he played at Beaver Stadium!!. :shock:

RTR,

Mine is Shawn Alexander as well. He is the complete package. I honestly can't find a fault in him.

He did not come to Alabama because he was raised in Alabama and Alabama is all he knows. He honored us in bypassing other school to come to Alabama from the state of Kentucky.

Once here he brought honor in the classy manner in which he excelled on the field. Since he has gone, he has honored us by continuing to excel.

Beyond that he is a man of the first order. Years ago, while he and I both still called Tuscaloosa home, my family and I were eating out one evening. Across the room I noticed him and another seated at a booth. My son, around seven years old then, wanted to get his autograph. I heard that he was the approachable type and allowed my son to go ask for the autograph while my wife and I waited at our table. To our surprise, he slid over in the booth and had the youngster hope up and sit next to him while he has talked to him. Soon, I felt the opportunity was right for me to visit as well, if nothing else but to let the two guys finish their meal. He was engaging and not at all in a hurry end the personal contact. In a just a couple of minutes, he has earned fans for life.

Also, many of you know he is a "wear it on his sleeves" Christian. His autograph to my son cites a Biblical verse. Many of you man recall the testimonial that he and Andy Phillips game when Franklin Graham came to Tuscaloosa.

All of this is why I consider him the total package. All of this is why he is my favorite sports figure of all time.

LBS said:
Mine is Shawn Alexander as well. He is the complete package. I honestly can't find a fault in him.

He did not come to Alabama because he was raised in Alabama and Alabama is all he knows. He honored us in bypassing other school to come to Alabama from the state of Kentucky.

Once here he brought honor in the classy manner in which he excelled on the field. Since he has gone, he has honored us by continuing to excel.

Beyond that he is a man of the first order. Years ago, while he and I both still called Tuscaloosa home, my family and I were eating out one evening. Across the room I noticed him and another seated at a booth. My son, around seven years old then, wanted to get his autograph. I heard that he was the approachable type and allowed my son to go ask for the autograph while my wife and I waited at our table. To our surprise, he slid over in the booth and had the youngster hope up and sit next to him while he has talked to him. Soon, I felt the opportunity was right for me to visit as well, if nothing else but to let the two guys finish their meal. He was engaging and not at all in a hurry end the personal contact. In a just a couple of minutes, he has earned fans for life.

Also, many of you know he is a "wear it on his sleeves" Christian. His autograph to my son cites a Biblical verse. Many of you man recall the testimonial that he and Andy Phillips game when Franklin Graham came to Tuscaloosa.

All of this is why I consider him the total package. All of this is why he is my favorite sports figure of all time.

yea, i met him before too and he is a nice guy. im guessin that bible verse he wrote with ur sons autograph is Pslams 37:4. he says that is his life verse.

Derrik Lassic is one of my favorites for the game he had in the NC in '92.

Riddle, BH, and I like to watch the "Sherman Shake" as well.

My favorite is the Dothan Antelope, who participated in "The Football Game That Changed The South."

The Football Game That Changed the South

25and26.jpg.w560h346.jpg

xbrown28.jpg

Johnny Mack Brown (September 1, 1904 – November 14, 1974), billed as John Mack Brown in the first and most prestigious phase of his screen career, was an All-American college football player and successful film actor.

Born and raised in Dothan, Alabama, Brown was a star of the high school football team, earning a football scholarship to the University of Alabama. Playing the halfback position on his university's Crimson Tide football team, Brown helped his team to become the 1926 NCAA Division I-A national football champions. In that year's Rose Bowl Game, he earned Most Valuable Player honors after scoring two of his team's three touchdowns in an upset win over the favored Washington Huskies.

His good looks and powerful physique saw him portrayed on Wheaties cereal boxes and in 1927, brought an offer for motion picture screen tests that resulted in a long and successful career in Hollywood. He appeared in minor roles until 1930 when he was cast as the star in a western movie entitled Billy the Kid and directed by King Vidor. An extremely early widescreen film (along with Raoul Walsh's The Big Trail with John Wayne, produced the same year), the movie also features Wallace Beery as Pat Garrett. Also in 1930, Brown played Joan Crawford's love interest in Montana Moon.

Brown went on to make several top-flight movies under the name John Mack Brown, including The Secret Six (1931) with Wallace Beery, as well as the legendary Lost Generation celebration of alcohol, The Last Flight (1931), and was being groomed by MGM as a leading man until being replaced on a film in 1931, with all his scenes reshot with Clark Gable in his place. Rechristened "Johnny Mack Brown," he returned to making exclusively westerns and eventually became one of the screen's top B-movie cowboy stars, making 127 western films during his career, including Ride 'Em Cowboy with Abbott and Costello. Brown also starred in four serials for Universal Studios (Rustlers of Red Dog, Wild West Days, Flaming Frontiers and The Oregon Trail) and was a hero to millions of young children at movie theaters and on their television screens. When the B-Western genre dropped sharply in box office popularity, Johnny Mack Brown went into retirement in 1953. He returned more than ten years later to appear in secondary roles in a few Western films. Altogether, Brown appeared in over 160 movies between 1927 and 1966, as well as a smattering of television shows, in a career spanning almost forty years.

In recognition of his contribution to the motion picture industry, Brown was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6101 Hollywood Blvd. In 1969, Brown was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

For his All-American exploits on the football field, Brown was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1957, and the Rose Bowl Hall Of Fame in 2001.

Johnny Mack Brown died in Woodland Hills, California of heart failure at the age of 70. He was interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3d5APqyriU[/youtube]

Another vote for the Moose. Age does have a lot to do with it, he was a senior my freshman year. I still have a 45 rpm "The Moose is on the Loose.

Actually I think it was called "The Ballad of Johnny Musso"

Yes that dated my very well.

One of my favorites who hasn't been mentioned was Paul Ott Carruth. He was a hardnosed runner who launched an auburn player into the endzone to help a Perkins squad to the upset.

He even looked more throwback with the Packers.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom