| FTBL Mismatches on offense...

I

imported_Porter

You guys can remember back to last season when Saban and Applewhite moved DJ Hall around and put him in the slot quite a bit during our game against Tennessee. That resulted in some serious mismatches and Hall had a field day. Well, Hall is gone now, but there are a couple of new guys that have that type of ability that are coming in... Julio and BJ Scott. When you throw those 2 guys in with Hanks, McCoy, Stover, and Alexander (4 guys that have all benefited tremendously from a year in the program), you've got a LOT of options that McElwain and Saban can utilize. It will be interesting to see how they use some of these guys, specifically Julio, Scott, and Hanks are utilized in some of the bigger games this year. Just imagine for a second Julio, Jones, Hanks, and Stover or McCoy all on the field at the same time in a 4 wide set. That is going to give some opposing DC's nightmares.

Porter, do you see Devonta Bolton receiving any significant playing time in the slot this fall? He is also one of the many gifted athletes that can play on either side of the ball from this class so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on him.

Argo said:
Porter, do you see Devonta Bolton receiving any significant playing time in the slot this fall? He is also one of the many gifted athletes that can play on either side of the ball from this class so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on him.

There is speculation that Bolton will not qualify, no one has heard anything on him and he is not enrolled in school yet.

What about Scott in the uno package?

bamabarney said:
Argo said:

There is speculation that Bolton will not qualify, no one has heard anything on him and he is not enrolled in school yet.

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I was thinking I read he had qualified. Maybe it was Lawrence I remember reading about.

Argo said:

If Bolton were to make it in, I could see him at either OLB or at H-Back/TE. Which one is really a toss-up.

bamabarney said:
What about Scott in the uno package?

I'm pretty sure point, they will install a package of some sort for him. I would think they will wait until he is comfortable with the WR position first though. It might be something we see some of later in the season, or later in his career. I doubt he'll line up under center any against Clemson... though stranger things have happened.

Porter said:
You guys can remember back to last season when Saban and Applewhite moved DJ Hall around and put him in the slot quite a bit during our game against Tennessee. That resulted in some serious mismatches and Hall had a field day. Well, Hall is gone now, but there are a couple of new guys that have that type of ability that are coming in... Julio and BJ Scott. When you throw those 2 guys in with Hanks, McCoy, Stover, and Alexander (4 guys that have all benefited tremendously from a year in the program), you've got a LOT of options that McElwain and Saban can utilize. It will be interesting to see how they use some of these guys, specifically Julio, Scott, and Hanks are utilized in some of the bigger games this year. Just imagine for a second Julio, Jones, Hanks, and Stover or McCoy all on the field at the same time in a 4 wide set. That is going to give some opposing DC's nightmares.

If McElwain can work with JP to find the open guy and not lock in, it could be very scary indeed.

Don't forget about Earl Alexander. What is the latest word on him? He did well in the spring game, definitely has the size for a mismatch. Thoughts???

Earl Alexander is a big dude just like Julio. I think he will have a big impact. Hanks was impressive in the spring. What about Stover, McCoy, Maze, Gibson?

Well we have the weapons for mismatches but who is going to throw it to them?! :D

I'm just playing guys, I'm pretty pumped up about our WR core. ;tr

Tider27 said:
Well we have the weapons for mismatches but who is going to throw it to them?! :D

I'm just playing guys, I'm pretty pumped up about our WR core. ;tr

Probably whichever quarterback can play without an offensive line the best. Very rarely do you run across a QB who requires absolutely no offensive line; they are few and far between.

On the up side, if this year is a repeat of every year since Croyle started playing, maybe McElwain will be smart enough to free up the offensive lineman to play on defense or something.

That way, at least they can contribute and be part of the team.

jocephus8179 said:
You can throw Maze in that bunch too. i see him being another Prothro one day.

Prothro was special, but I could definitely see him being like Pro someday. There are a lot of weapons to be plugged into the slot position. Do you think we'll spread the field a lot with four and five-wide packages to take advantage of our talent at WR?

weezyfbaby00 said:
jocephus8179 said:
You can throw Maze in that bunch too. i see him being another Prothro one day.

Prothro was special, but I could definitely see him being like Pro someday. There are a lot of weapons to be plugged into the slot position. Do you think we'll spread the field a lot with four and five-wide packages to take advantage of our talent at WR?

4 wide, occasionally. 5 wide, I doubt it. Too much talent in our TE position to pull all of them off the field at the same time.

I just don't see any of these guys coming in and contributing immediately. They're starting college classes, and getting a new playbook. Talent rarely helps you recover from missed blocks, assignments or blowing a route and throwing the QB off, etc... Hopefully, we've got a few people waiting in the wings.

shiloh said:
I just don't see any of these guys coming in and contributing immediately. They're starting college classes, and getting a new playbook. Talent rarely helps you recover from missed blocks, assignments or blowing a route and throwing the QB off, etc... Hopefully, we've got a few people waiting in the wings.

WR is one of the easiest positions to come in and play right away. It is 90% natural ability and 10% coaching. It is probably the easiest offensive position for a frosh.

Big_Fan said:
WR is one of the easiest positions to come in and play right away. It is 90% natural ability and 10% coaching. It is probably the easiest offensive position for a frosh.

Interesting. Most NFL coaches view WR as the most difficult positions on the field to develop players for. It's also one of the riskiest position to draft. It's nearly impossible to name a WR that came into the NFL and had any success in their first two or three seasons.

Wonder why it's so much easier in college?

Back
Top Bottom