| FTBL Mismatches on offense...

weezyfbaby00 said:
jocephus8179 said:
You can throw Maze in that bunch too. i see him being another Prothro one day.

Prothro was special, but I could definitely see him being like Pro someday. There are a lot of weapons to be plugged into the slot position. Do you think we'll spread the field a lot with four and five-wide packages to take advantage of our talent at WR?

I hope it's five. That way, we can see how much the defensive secondary gets scared. :D

reger60 said:
Big_Fan said:
WR is one of the easiest positions to come in and play right away. It is 90% natural ability and 10% coaching. It is probably the easiest offensive position for a frosh.

Interesting. Most NFL coaches view WR as the most difficult positions on the field to develop players for. It's also one of the riskiest position to draft. It's nearly impossible to name a WR that came into the NFL and had any success in their first two or three seasons.

Wonder why it's so much easier in college?

I agree for the most part. A talent like Julio will be able to contribute immediately on the college level though IMO.

reger60 said:
Big_Fan said:
WR is one of the easiest positions to come in and play right away. It is 90% natural ability and 10% coaching. It is probably the easiest offensive position for a frosh.

Interesting. Most NFL coaches view WR as the most difficult positions on the field to develop players for. It's also one of the riskiest position to draft. It's nearly impossible to name a WR that came into the NFL and had any success in their first two or three seasons.

Simply an opinion but probably because college defenses rarely play bump and run coverage. Watch most college corners. They play at least five yards off the man giving him a free release off the line. Saban's defense is one of the few that actually requires corners to get up on the line and do a lot of jamming. That is what gives the rookie wr's at the pro level the most trouble. They can't get off the line.

Bamabuzzard said:
reger60 said:
Big_Fan said:

Simply an opinion but probably because college defenses rarely play bump and run coverage. Watch most college corners. They play at least five yards off the man giving him a free release off the line. Saban's defense is one of the few that actually requires corners to get up on the line and do a lot of jamming. That is what gives the rookie wr's at the pro level the most trouble. They can't get off the line.

Exactly. Additionally, there are fewer lock down corners in college. When you go from thousands of HS's to hundreds of colleges, to 30 pro teams - the talent distills. There is more put on receivers in terms of reading and making adjustments to their routes as well. In college they don't do as much of that. The QB makes reads and goes through a progression - the offense is less complex.

College receivers run routes and catch balls. Sometimes they block. Great receivers rarely bloom late in college. They are usually good from day one and get better. The same is true in the NFL when a receiver has incredible physical tools... Skill is developed, but good hands and size+speed are gifts.

I think our best options for offensive mismatches will be:

1.) tight ends... we have big tight ends that can catch. with the linebackers we're going to see in our first 4 games, our TE's should be able to do some serious damage.

2.) receivers... with alexander and jones, our trips to the redzone should be much more successful. JPW isn't a very good quarterback, but if he can just air it into the back corner of the inzone, jones and alexander will get it. they will have about 4+ inches on a lot of the corners they'll be up against.

3.) SCREENS! SCREENS! SCREENS! I can't say this enough. Considering JPW's lackluster throwing abilities, we need to utilize the screen as much as possible. Basically take the game out of his hands and put it into our playmakers'. With McCoy, Jones and Alexander and how we will utilize our TE's, you give Maze or Scott, or Grant out of the backfield, a short pass behind the size... sooner or later one will break big time. We are possibly one of the most well equipped teams in the SEC to live off the screen.... I hope we do because even JPW can't mess that up.

jocephus8179 said:
It Takes Eleven said:
I'm waiting for the day when our mismatch will be Mark Ingram over left tackle.

AND, our LBs and T. Cody plugging holes on every HB that we're against. :D

I think you'll be pleased with what Chapman and Washington do this year. I'm expecting very good things from those 2.

Porter said:
jocephus8179 said:
It Takes Eleven said:

I think you'll be pleased with what Chapman and Washington do this year. I'm expecting very good things from those 2.

Don't forget about McCullough. I think he's going to be a beast on the DL THIS YEAR.

Bamabuzzard said:
Porter said:
jocephus8179 said:
It Takes Eleven said:

Don't forget about McCullough. I think he's going to be a beast on the DL THIS YEAR.

I think he and Washington will both get reps inside and on the end. Both have done well in strength and conditioning, and I bet it pays off big. We are FINALLY starting to have quality depth along the defensive line again. It isn't where it needs to be, but it is closer than it has been for several years.

What you can do is take one of these new guys, athletes, like Scott and set him up to run a reverse early in the season, like the Clemson game. Reason I say that is he or Julio (not sure of Julio's running ability) might not have all the plays down and resposiblities of thier position understood yet, but you want to give a playmaker a chance to touch the ball and get into the action. A player like Scott might be able to break a nice run in open space on a simple end around. Gets him a touch, feel for the game.

Interested to see where Maze fits in. You add all these guys people are talking about at WR and Ath and wonder when are we ever going to run the ball? Lots of guys who can make "plays", but who are you going to go to? Usually, 2-3 rise to the top and the rest become role players, which is almost equal important.

Back
Top Bottom