| PRO Bye Bye Barry (Sanders)

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Staff
I just watched the documentary on Barry Sanders and it was a good one. To me and admittingly I don't watch much Pro sports anymore, Barry Sanders was one of the greatest Running backs, if not the best in my lifetime. The show goes deep in his mindset, and you see the guy different afterwards. Why he walked away when he did and why personal achievements did not mean much to him. i recommend it, just on why he retired alone. Just thought I would put this out there for you all.

I just watched the documentary on Barry Sanders and it was a good one. To me and admittingly I don't watch much Pro sports anymore, Barry Sanders was one of the greatest Running backs, if not the best in my lifetime. The show goes deep in his mindset, and you see the guy different afterwards. Why he walked away when he did and why personal achievements did not mean much to him. i recommend it, just on why he retired alone. Just thought I would put this out there for you all.
I agree completely. Really sad time when he walked away, but I have to respect him for it. Don't think I ever really understood his reason. I don't follow pro football any more.

Had he an Emmitt Smith swapped places..........there is no telling how amazing a rusher Sanders could have been.

I "heard" a state that on average Barry was hit behind or at the LOS while Smith averaged being hit 3 yards beyond the LOS. If that stat is true, can you imagine what Sanders all time rushing yards would have been.

Had he an Emmitt Smith swapped places..........there is no telling how amazing a rusher Sanders could have been.

I "heard" a state that on average Barry was hit behind or at the LOS while Smith averaged being hit 3 yards beyond the LOS. If that stat is true, can you imagine what Sanders all time rushing yards would have been.
I somewhat disagree here….
3rd and short???? Barry was not your guy he didn’t put his shoulders down and get the tough yards. Even he and his coaches in day said this…. Emmitt would grind if he needed to Barry wouldn’t, by his own admission

Behind that line Dallas had? He would of broke every record out there. What I took from the documentary is that it had a lot to do with all the changes and salary caps Pro Football had. Just when things started going right for them, players that he felt comfortable with, worked and practiced with, and how they knew each other, then get traded or badly injured, plus coaching changes really got to him. He was not big on personal accolades. Didnt want the Heisman, nor the NFL MVP award and could care less about them. He wanted the team to go to the Super Bowl basicly.

My son and I watched it over the weekend. Very good documentary. I loved watching Sanders play. What a draft class he was in! How many stars of that caliber are going to hide out from the media on draft night these days? And shy away from setting individual records? A lot of his runs look like magic tricks. So many times guys couldn’t believe he ended up where he did during the play. What a running back.

My son and I watched it over the weekend. Very good documentary. I loved watching Sanders play. What a draft class he was in! How many stars of that caliber are going to hide out from the media on draft night these days? And shy away from setting individual records? A lot of his runs look like magic tricks. So many times guys couldn’t believe he ended up where he did during the play. What a running back.
Yeah, Even Troy Aikman agreed he should have one it.

I somewhat disagree here….
3rd and short???? Barry was not your guy he didn’t put his shoulders down and get the tough yards. Even he and his coaches in day said this…. Emmitt would grind if he needed to Barry wouldn’t, by his own admission
My friend, he would lower his shoulders and escape Multiple tacklers. although his game was more about his elusiveness, he would hit in the trenches. I saw him multiple times do it. Was he a 3rd down back, sometimes, but he usually didn't need the third down. I do see what you mean, and not takin anything away from Emmit, but Emmit even admitted he couldn't do the things Barry did. Barry juked most players and made them look silly.

My friend, he would lower his shoulders and escape Multiple tacklers. although his game was more about his elusiveness, he would hit in the trenches. I saw him multiple times do it. Was he a 3rd down back, sometimes, but he usually didn't need the third down. I do see what you mean, and not takin anything away from Emmit, but Emmit even admitted he couldn't do the things Barry did. Barry juked most players and made them look silly.
Yes Emmitt said he couldn’t do things Barry did, that’s not up for debate. The fact is that on 3rd and 1, Emmitt got the ball at a better than 75% clip. Barry did not. This is not from my mouth this is from Barry sanders mouth. I know a little about this because I’ve actually met Barry sanders years ago, and Emmitt stayed weekends as a kid at our house and still very close friends with the family. Barry was probably more “gifted” but not a “better” running back….

Not taking anything away from Smith, but behind that line even my 190 pound ass could get a first down on 3 and 1
that very phrase takes everything away from him.
And no you couldn’t. His vision is what makes him the best all around running back.

Oh and by that logic, every Alabama running back under Saban has sucked because the line was good.

Back
Top Bottom