| FTBL Mike Leach pulls name from Washington consideration

elbatider

Verified Member
...scrolled during the game last night...

Leach has pulled his name from the Washington job. Wonder can you read into this (ie Auburn) or take it a face value that he is staying at Tech.

Re: Interesting scroll on ESPN during Lville/Rutgers game

elbatider said:
Leach has pulled his name from the Washington job. Wonder can you read into this (ie Auburn) or take it a face value that he is staying at Tech.

That exact same news was reported on ESPN two days ago, even before Tuberville resigned.

bear facts said:
That exact same news was reported on ESPN two days ago, even before Tuberville resigned.

Did not know that, thanks. Take these scroll things to be current as in today. Sorry to bother.

RollTide1980 said:
I just pulled my name out of the Washington job.

Leach did...
The dude at Fresno State did...

Let's face it...Washington=sucks.

~Bryan

Washington=Why do we still have a football team?

elbatider said:
bear facts said:

Did not know that, thanks. Take these scroll things to be current as in today. Sorry to bother.

No bother at all. I have noticed that ESPN and CNN sometimes do not update their "scrolls" as often as one would expect them to.

Mike Leach Article

Sports > College Sports Friday, Dec 5, 2008

College Sports
Posted on Fri, Dec. 05, 2008 Print E-Mail
Texas Tech’s Mike Leach withdraws from Washington search
By DWAIN PRICEdprice@star-telegram.com

Texas Tech fans can breathe a little easier. Coach Mike Leach has withdrawn his name from consideration for the head coaching job at the University of Washington.

Leach flew to Seattle on Monday to talk to UW officials about their football coaching vacancy, but on Thursday decided he no longer wants to be a part of the Washington coaching search.

Tech athletic director Gerald Myers is taking Leach’s move to mean he wants to remain the Red Raiders’ coach. Myers is in negotiations with Leach’s agent, Gary O’Hagan, on a contract extension for the 47-year-old coach.

Leach has two years remaining on his current contract that’ll pay him, with bonuses, $2.65 million next year and $2.35 million in 2010. Myers said an extension will keep Leach at Tech through the 2013-14 school year.

"I think Mike is going to be our coach," Myers said. "I have talked to his agent. We have had some dialogue with his agent, so I’m waiting to hear back from him.

"Maybe we’ll get [the contract] done the next day or two, because everybody’s ready to get it done."

Myers said he hadn’t talked to Leach since Saturday. However, he said that’s not unusual, because O’Hagan is the person who is speaking on behalf of Leach during the negotiations.

Repeated phone messages left for Leach and O’Hagan were not returned.

"Mike doesn’t want to be involved in talks about his contract, so I don’t talk to him about his contract," Myers said.

Leach’s name also surfaced as a possible replacement for Tommy Tuberville, who resigned Wednesday as head coach at Auburn. Myers hasn’t received a phone call from Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs seeking permission to talk to Leach, so he doesn’t believe Leach sits atop the Tigers’ wish list.

"I just think [Auburn] is going to go a different direction, I don’t think they’re going after Leach," Myers said. "The majority of [athletic directors] will call you if they were very serious about your coach.

"I don’t know what happened at Washington and I don’t know that AD up there. But I still think he would have called if they were serious about Mike."

In nine years at Tech, Leach is 76-38, and the Red Raiders have played in a bowl game every season. Leach also has utilized his spread offense to turn Tech into one of the most explosive offenses in the country.

A source close to Leach said he doesn’t think Leach will leave Lubbock, especially after what is perhaps the finest season in Tech history. Tech was ranked as high as No. 2 this season, finished the regular season with an 11-1 record and tied for the Big 12 South championship.

"Lubbock is rocking now," the source said. "It’s not slowing down.

"This is like Lubbock Vegas. Now is not the time to leave."

Myers couldn’t agree more.

"I think Leach wants to be here," he said. "I do want to get it over with sooner than later, and he does, too.

"We’ll get this contract worked out. It’ll take a few days, but it’ll be sooner than later and he’ll be our coach."

Dwain Price, 817-390-7760

Tech's athletic director doesn't have a clue. :shock:

In other news Jack Del Rio is not (repeat is not) interested in the Alabama job.

That to me can't be topped....ever. :D

Back
Top Bottom