| CURRENT EVENTS Memphis powder keg?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
I've not really followed this story much, but what little I have seen makes me wonder... waiting to release the bodycam video until Friday night? Seems like someone(s) wants chaos in the streets.

It’s going to get bad, I’m afraid. And I’m not being pessimistic. We had reservations at one of our nice dinner spots Saturday night, I called and cancelled this morning. We’ll let it simmer and return in a few weeks. Got to be careful in Memphis on a normal day, and it won’t be normal starting this evening!

It’s going to get bad, I’m afraid. And I’m not being pessimistic. We had reservations at one of our nice dinner spots Saturday night, I called and cancelled this morning. We’ll let it simmer and return in a few weeks. Got to be careful in Memphis on a normal day, and it won’t be normal starting this evening!
Are you in Memphis?

They’ve shut down some major roads and interstate stretches in the last 30-45 minutes due to protests. Hopefully it stays peaceful through the night. As it gets later, it could likely heat up.

Last edited:
I believe the guy had already evaded them in his car, driving recklessly, then ran from them on foot, then fought with them. Still, no reason for it. Not sure if the lack of a racial angle will temper the unrest, along with calls from the family for peaceful protests.

I just wonder if he was targeted though. Maybe too much tin foil in my hat... but supposedly these cops were part of a violent crime/gang type unit, so they'd deal with that sort of thing most every shift. And sorta looked like they never really tried to subdue him at first, then when they finally did they still went to work on him... like they were sending a message.

The Chief said there was nothing that showed he should’ve been stopped at all
I saw that and it makes it worse. He was beat to death for refusing what amounts to an illegal stop. By officers of his own race. That should make anyone realize the police are NOT necessarily on your side in any situation. Coupled with the fact that legally they have zero obligation to protect you, that should make most people worry about the power they hold.

I just wonder if he was targeted though. Maybe too much tin foil in my hat... but supposedly these cops were part of a violent crime/gang type unit, so they'd deal with that sort of thing most every shift. And sorta looked like they never really tried to subdue him at first, then when they finally did they still went to work on him... like they were sending a message.
It is 100% obvious that they let something other than duty guide them here. I watched everything released I could find. It was obvious that personal anger drove them for much of it.

Having lived in Memphis and having seen the best and worst of MPD it's not "too much tin foil." If we find out there's a Vice Lords connection I'll be one of the least shocked people you'll find.

The circumstances aren't the same here other than police violence. I still see an older guy occasionally who still lives inside the loop, Hollywood area, of Memphis. He's still in the same house he was 30+ years ago; 14 houses down from where this happened on Shannon Street.

Hearing this week's story reminded me of this one. It was two years later I moved to Memphis but it was still very much on the minds of those who lived there.

Back
Top Bottom