| FOOD Maybe not? Millennials blamed for killing "casual dining." How often do you eat out?

There are two things I see there that *may* be worth a thing--and that all depends on the brand.

This did get me thinking a bit about the last time I actually ate at a BWW, or an Applebee's or TGIF. It's been years. YEARS.

The last time I ate out, which was last week, I had a sandwich that consisted of Shaved Ribeye topped with bacon, ghost pepper jack, & jalapeno poppers. The poppers stayed on the plate. It's not that I don't like the taste, but geez the idea (and feeling afterwards) of eating fried food just turns me off.

After thinking about it even longer I realize I've not been to a place like Outback, or something akin to it, in years as well. Like a lot of the people referred to in the article I'm hitting small, unique venues. When @It Takes Eleven was in town a few weeks ago I recommended he and his wife stop by Muse for a bit. Yah, it's one of those "trendy" type places, I suppose. Or one of those places we folks characterized as "stuffed collar" types enjoy.
Given the choice, where would you and your family eat this afternoon if it were a day out?

BWW wings suck! Bob Baumhower's place still had the best wings.

I agree with you; I have eaten at BWW once in the last year, and that's only because a student gave me a gift card. I am far from a millenial. Their food just isn't that good.

Since my wife retired. we eat out a lot, probably 4 or 5 times a week. I'll be 64 in a couple of weeks so I'm no Millennial by a long shot. We avoid the "chain store restaurants" for the most part although a coupon for 50% off got us in an Outback a few weeks ago.

the idea (and feeling afterwards) of eating fried food just turns me off.

That's the saddest thing I've ever read Terry. I'm so sorry. :poke2::devil:

Ate at BWW in Trussville 2 weeks ago after catching a movie.....boneless Mango/Habanero... Hit the Bright Star in Bessemer the week before, had to get my prime rib fix in... so I guess I just mix it up a bit, usually hit the BWW in Gardendale or the Shrimp Basket,(when I need my oyster fix), when we want to stay closer to home and we hit Cedar House in Tarrant for (IMO) the best meat and 3 you can get.:)

Chains are dying as local places are growing in the mid to high price range. When we eat out it is either fast food or a local place. About the only chain we go to would be Carrabba's. Why? With fast food it is self-explanatory, I need it fast and relatively cheap. With casual dining, why would I pay $40-50 for two people at Applebee's or Chili's and get ignored by my server all for some fairly uninteresting food when I can take the same money and hit up Mark's City Grill, Cannon Brew Pub, or Trevioli (all local places in Columbus GA)?

I eat out about six or seven times a week, three or four lunches and two to three dinners. I eat at more local places than major chains. I'll propose that Applebees is killing Applebees. Of those seven meals, I'll eat at a major chain like Carrabbas or Outback once, a larger local chain (many times Marlow's in Atlanta) and the other four or five will be local places (Cypress Street Pint & Plate, Taqueria del Sol, Five Seasons Brewing, Fox Brothers BBQ and others) that have one to four locations.

If I'm in Pell City, I'll go to Dock's, Chilly Willy's or The Shack BBQ. Not many great places around there, but those are dependable.

RTR,

Tim

Haven't been to BWW in a looooong time. I usually go to TGIFriday, Hurricane' s or maybe just an Arby' s. I may eat out once or twice a month.

8f60ddf7369405b70558adf3e1b966e172cd58065a18e3dfecac56ce7ab43566.jpg

it's kind of rare that i get to eat out. so i eat a lot of home-cooked meals.

but when i do get to go out to eat, i like to just hang out for a while, talking, eating slow, taking my time. i'm definitely not into the whole "eat as fast as you can so we can go do something else" thing.

Back
Top Bottom