| FTBL LSU terminates Miles and Cameron, Orgeron interim

I always thought Miles to be simultaneously goofy and insightful. A coaching savant, of sorts, who could dial up a whimsical, ballsy play but then could run enough non-working option plays to make even Coach Bryant roll over in his grave.

Clock awareness always plagued him. It's a blind spot that he never addressed - he could even have given up the game day responsibility for it to someone else, or have the special teams or get-back coach to scream in his ear when to call time out. He just seemed to get so immersed in the game that he never maintained the sense of how to control it.

RTR,

Tim

I know this thread about the former coach call Les Miles and one side kick. But any of you guys think the maybe that last game this year. The wheels on the Bus will be falling off or flat as a pancakes?

Did Dupre piss someone off? I counted 4 of 5 plays where he was so wide open, it appeared the defense gave up on covering him because they knew no passes were going to him. Strange.

I've seen a few suggest that practice last week didn't go so well and that the game could get interesting as a result.

Les hasn't appeared to make the adjustments on the offensive side of ball that should have been made years ago. They're recruiting QB's that don't fit the system their calling.

If I'm Les, I'm hanging it up. NC ring and a boat load of money...

He may have dug his grave with a spade instead of a shovel but he eventually got there. Some coaches would rather quit or be fired before they change their spots. Stallings was not going to budge, nor Shula and his jumbo, dumbo package and Les is just another HC that would rather fall on the sword than rethink the wheel. $11 million dollar consolation prize on the way out should help to take the sting out of the fall.

He may have dug his grave with a spade instead of a shovel but he eventually got there. Some coaches would rather quit or be fired before they change their spots. Stallings was not going to budge, nor Shula and his jumbo, dumbo package and Les is just another HC that would rather fall on the sword than rethink the wheel. $11 million dollar consolation prize on the way out should help to take the sting out of the fall.

Stallings told Bob Bockrath, the AD at the time, to take a flying leap and kiss his ass! Stallings wasn't fired! Besides, he had BAMA inside the Top 15 each season with exception the '90 season, his first, and '95, while they were on probation for the Langham napkin. To be fair to Coach Stallings, BAMA suffered some terrible injuries to start the '90 season before getting the ship righted before the Fiesta Bowl disaster. We lost Siran Stacy in game 1 versus Southern Miss and Brett Favre, loss 27-24. Game 2 we lost WR Craig Sanderson @ home versus UF loss 17-13, and in Game 3 we lost WR Prince Wimbley @ UGA, loss 17-16. We finished the season with Lamonde Russell, one of the top TEs in the conference moving out to WR in an attempt to have some form of a passing game. I should know, I was a sophomore walk on on that '90 team.

Stallings told Bob Bockrath, the AD at the time, to take a flying leap and kiss his ass! Stallings wasn't fired! Besides, he had BAMA inside the Top 15 each season with exception the '90 season, his first, and '95, while they were on probation for the Langham napkin. To be fair to Coach Stallings, BAMA suffered some terrible injuries to start the '90 season before getting the ship righted before the Fiesta Bowl disaster. We lost Siran Stacy in game 1 versus Southern Miss and Brett Favre, loss 27-24. Game 2 we lost WR Craig Sanderson @ home versus UF loss 17-13, and in Game 3 we lost WR Prince Wimbley @ UGA, loss 17-16. We finished the season with Lamonde Russell, one of the top TEs in the conference moving out to WR in an attempt to have some form of a passing game. I should know, I was a sophomore walk on on that '90 team.

My point wasn't necessarily about being fired, just a lot of coaches who come hell or high water were singing " I did it my way." Mile's may have woke up this morning thinking I'm glad it's over. I remember Lamonde Russell and he was the most dynamic receiver we had in an offense that could struggle. He was from Oneonta, I grew up in Blount county.

My second game to watch Bama at LF on the benches at the end zone. The part I remember the most is we had a punt return for a TD, but it was call back , because of holding.

They're recruiting QB's that don't fit the system their calling.

This is true but I think it needs a little clarification. LSU has been recruiting athletes and then attempted to turn them into Quarterbacks. Etling, and Mett, are the only two guys I can recall that have been quarterbacks for a pro-style scheme. (One might argue Russell fit that bill as well.)

What Les Miles said about being fired on The Dan Patrick Show
Les Miles appeared Monday on The Dan Patrick Show and provided his first thoughts on being fired at LSU, prematurely ending his tenure in Baton Rouge four games into his 12th season.

Here's what Miles said:

Got up this morning, got my work out in. The necessity to be productive is something this family, this Miles family, requires of you.

How were you told you were fired?

Face to face. Joe Alleva said we’re going to have to make a change. And I’m for the tigers. Anything they see that makes the Tigers better, I’m for it. I accepted the outcome and will support that decision and these Tigers going forward

Did you try to fight it?

It was beyond fighting. The enjoyment of being here, the enjoyment of community, the experiences that my family’s had, it’s too important to fight over. It’s history. It’s what we were are. If they see a change makes the tiger better, I’m for them.

If you beat Auburn, would you still be employed?

I want you to know something. How that game ends, with the Tigers fighting for their breath, maybe there’s a way the coach could’ve got them a second more. I would argue that I made those moves. One second. It’s certainly a decision that was made more appropriately over more than a second.

Was you being fired an undercurrent there or lingering?

If it was there, I went beyond it. I enjoyed going into my room and enjoying seeing the young men I recruited and I coached. If there was an undercurrent, it did not exist in the that building. What goes on inside the building just didn’t matter.

Did you talk to your players?

I did and I appreciate Joe Alleva giving me that opportunity. I took advantage of it. I did not stay long, but wished them well. They deserve the best. I think Ed Orgeron will do a great job for them.

How tough is this job?

I think it’s a blast. I think coaching football and being with young players and developing them … taking a team into an opponent’s stadium and coming out with a victory (is a blast). I don’t think this job’s hard.

Do you do anything differently?

I always review everything. In certain things, we could’ve been better. I gave us a chance to win the game.

Do you want to coach again?

I don't golf, play no tennis. I enjoy shooting the gun, don't necessarily like pointing at animals. Play cards, but not very well. But what I've done for 12-14 hours a day for the last number of years is coach football. I'd have a difficult time not being a coach.

What would you tell your successor?

How fortunate you are to coach the LSU Tigers. Taking them to the field, walking into the home and representing them.

My point wasn't necessarily about being fired, just a lot of coaches who come hell or high water were singing " I did it my way." Mile's may have woke up this morning thinking I'm glad it's over. I remember Lamonde Russell and he was the most dynamic receiver we had in an offense that could struggle. He was from Oneonta, I grew up in Blount county.

You have to give Coach Stallings credit though. He went from Mal Moore as OC to hiring Homer Smith back at OC. Lamonde was undersized at TE but was a mismatch against LBs and Safeties. In '89, we had an offense that didn't struggle. Kevin Turner at FB, Murry Hill and Siran Stacy at TB, Sanderson, Marco Battle, John Cassimus, and Wimbley at WRs, and Hollingsworth pulling the trigger. I know you all saw the stat during the Ole Pi$$ game about the 21 point deficit. We started out down 21-0 and won 62-27!!!
What part of Blount County? I went to Corner High and my dad taught at Warrior High. We played a lot of the Blount County schools.

My second game to watch Bama at LF on the benches at the end zone. The part I remember the most is we had a punt return for a TD, but it was call back , because of holding.

My one take away was Siran Stacy taking a toss sweep and crumpling in a heap with a torn ACL, non contact. We were up 24-20 at the time. Favre then led USM back on one of his many 4th quarter comebacks in his career.

You have to give Coach Stallings credit though. He went from Mal Moore as OC to hiring Homer Smith back at OC. Lamonde was undersized at TE but was a mismatch against LBs and Safeties. In '89, we had an offense that didn't struggle. Kevin Turner at FB, Murry Hill and Siran Stacy at TB, Sanderson, Marco Battle, John Cassimus, and Wimbley at WRs, and Hollingsworth pulling the trigger. I know you all saw the stat during the Ole Pi$$ game about the 21 point deficit. We started out down 21-0 and won 62-27!!!
What part of Blount County? I went to Corner High and my dad taught at Warrior High. We played a lot of the Blount County schools.

Wow, you lived right down the road. I had absolutely no issue with Stallings, never did, not one. Even when we were losing some painfully close ones to Spurrier in the SECCG. I was still sad he left. I think all of us who remember how that ole miss game started and then the pure ecstasy of blowing it open will never forget that one. I lived at Rickwood State Park. We played Warrior and Corner, back in the day at Hayden.

My one take away was Siran Stacy taking a toss sweep and crumpling in a heap with a torn ACL, non contact. We were up 24-20 at the time. Favre then led USM back on one of his many 4th quarter comebacks in his career.
You said you were on the team at this time. Well you may had been the one my 16th year old daughter was looking at with my binoculars while you were doing your pre-game warn up. I took them away when I saw she was looking at the players butts. :D

Back
Top Bottom