| FTBL LSU or Auburn?

Who do you want Bama to beat more?

• Total voters
ijijmijij said:
Bama Los said:
I rather beat Auburn and not go to Atlanta than losing to them and winning the SEC. We will be on top of the SEC soon enough, I'm dead tired of this five in a row crap, it has to end!!!!!

Right behind you

I am going with these two. I could handle losing to LA Monroe, MS State and LSU. Please, before I die, beat the Cow College again. If thats having Auburn mentality I am sorry, lets flip the streak back around on them.

Bama Bo said:
Porterhouse said:
Argo said:
LSU without a doubt. Big picture here people. Yes, losing to AU would suck this year but if we are heading to Atlanta in the process does it really matter? We already have the state locked up this year in recruiting. Can you imagine the national media clips if Saban takes a 6-7 Alabama team to the SECCG in his first year? Can you imagine what the recruits would be thinking?

LSU and Atlanta all the way!!!!

Agreed. Voting for the barn in this poll is ironically enough... a barn mentality.

Bingo! Porter's got it.

Well, I somehow missed your post, I was reading though them fast... so you actually said it before I did. I should have quoted your post and just agreed with it.

So when did wanting to beat your in-state rival become barn like?

Guys I'll take either one of them really, but it's hardly barn like to want to beat Auburn badly.

Why does everyone think if Bama beats LSU and loses to Auburn that Bama is going to the SECCG? That would happen ONLY if Bama, Auburn, and LSU are in a 3-way tie.

252BAMA said:
Why does everyone think if Bama beats LSU and loses to Auburn that Bama is going to the SECCG? That would happen ONLY if Bama, Auburn, and LSU are in a 3-way tie.

If Bama beats LSU, Miss State, and Monroe they can lose to the barn and still represent the West in the SECCG. LSU still has to play Arky. We still have to play Monroe and State. Let's take it one game at a time.

Tider 27 said:

Guys I'll take either one of them really, but it's hardly barn like to want to beat Auburn badly.

It's not wanting to beat your rival that's barn like. It's wanting to beat your rival instead of a chance at a championship that's barn like. Beating the barn gives you bragging rights for 364 days. Winning a championship puts a trophy in the case till the end of time. Which is more important? I live about 45 miles form the barn. Still, winning the SEC is much more important. I had a post made up in this thread yesterday with links and quotes from barners saying how important winning the IB is. You never hear championship talk from them. Wait, that's not exactly right. They are obsessed with state championships.

Bones82 said:
252BAMA said:

If Bama beats LSU, Miss State, and Monroe they can lose to the barn and still represent the West in the SECCG. LSU still has to play Arky. We still have to play Monroe and State. Let's take it one game at a time.

Bama can NOT lose to Auburn and still represent the West if they wind up in a TWO-WAY tie with Auburn. LSU and Bama can finish 7-1, 6-2, 5-3, or 4-4. Auburn can finish 6-2, 5-3, 4-4, or 3-5. Obviously there are several different combinations of those final records. My point is that it is not correct to assume that if Bama beats LSU and loses to Auburn then Bama will go to the SECCG.

Auburn, 100%

Beating Auburn in Auburn buries them. We rule the state then, absolutely. When we rule the state absolutely, plus having Saban, it is only a matter of time before we rule the West, the SEC, and the world.
If Miles leaves, then that will take care of that for us before next year.
First domino first.

252BAMA said:
Bones82 said:
252BAMA said:

Bama can NOT lose to Auburn and still represent the West if they wind up in a TWO-WAY tie with Auburn. LSU and Bama can finish 7-1, 6-2, 5-3, or 4-4. Auburn can finish 6-2, 5-3, 4-4, or 3-5. Obviously there are several different combinations of those final records. My point is that it is not correct to assume that if Bama beats LSU and loses to Auburn then Bama will go to the SECCG.

Beating LSU and MSU means Bama will have no more than 2 SEC losses. LSU has already lost one game in the conference, and the Barn has lost two already. Ergo, if we beat LSU and MSU and lose to the barn, we all have two loses, provided that LSU beats Arky. The Barn would be eliminated from the tie due to two losses within the division (MSU and LSU), and LSU would be eliminated due to head-to-head against Bama. Therefore, beating LSU and MSU puts Bama into the SECCG.

AlaphaMale said:
Tider 27 said:

It's not wanting to beat your rival that's barn like. It's wanting to beat your rival instead of a chance at a championship that's barn like. Beating the barn gives you bragging rights for 364 days. Winning a championship puts a trophy in the case till the end of time. Which is more important? I live about 45 miles form the barn. Still, winning the SEC is much more important. I had a post made up in this thread yesterday with links and quotes from barners saying how important winning the IB is. You never hear championship talk from them. Wait, that's not exactly right. They are obsessed with state championships.

Fair enough and fully understandable. I don't think I was putting the victory over the Barn first. Personally I thought I was being more realistic, since it will almost certainly be harder to win the SEC Champ then beating Auburn. That could be JMHO though. I'm all for winning a SEC Championship, thats something special in today's game.

Re: Auburn, 100%

LBS said:
Beating Auburn in Auburn buries them. We rule the state then, absolutely. When we rule the state absolutely, plus having Saban, it is only a matter of time before we rule the West, the SEC, and the world.
First domino first.

Beating the barn is absolutely meaningless. We already rule the state where it matters. A win against the barn has no bearing on the national stage, no bearing on recruiting, it won't even affect our ranking as much as a win against LSU will. We gain nothing other than bragging rights by beating the barn. It's not dominoes. We don't have to beat the barn to play for a championship. All beating the barn does this year is break a streak. That is inevitable anyway.

Tider 27 said:
Fair enough and fully understandable. I don't think I was putting the victory over the Barn first. Personally I thought I was being more realistic, since it will almost certainly be harder to win the SEC Champ then beating Auburn. That could be JMHO though. I'm all for winning a SEC Championship, thats something special in today's game.

We don't even have to win it. Just getting there in Saban's first year would be a greater accomplishment than winning a SINGLE game!

The way the question was phrased with multiple factors for determining an answer led to the confusion. You were answering the personal preference aspect and I was treating your answer in respect to the "state of the west" part.

Given our current record, the state of the SEC West, and your personal preference, who do you want Bama to beat more between LSU and Auburn?

AlaphaMale said:
Tider 27 said:

We don't even have to win it. Just getting there in Saban's first year would be a greater accomplishment than winning a SINGLE game!

The way the question was phrased with multiple factors for determining an answer led to the confusion. You were answering the personal preference aspect and I was treating your answer in respect to the "state of the west" part.

Given our current record, the state of the SEC West, and your personal preference, who do you want Bama to beat more between LSU and Auburn?

That's true, didn't really think of that factor. I suppose I'll be happy with either one, extremely happy with a SEC Champ/Appearance.

DustyG said:
252BAMA said:
Bones82 said:
252BAMA said:

Beating LSU and MSU means Bama will have no more than 2 SEC losses. LSU has already lost one game in the conference, and the Barn has lost two already. Ergo, if we beat LSU and MSU and lose to the barn, we all have two loses, provided that LSU beats Arky. The Barn would be eliminated from the tie due to two losses within the division (MSU and LSU), and LSU would be eliminated due to head-to-head against Bama. Therefore, beating LSU and MSU puts Bama into the SECCG.

What you(and everone else) is ASSUMING a 3-Way tie with Bama, Auburn, and LSU. And yes, Bama would go in that scenario. But a 3-way tie is FAR from a given, therefore just beating LSU and MSU does NOT, in itself, put Bama in the SECCG. And all of you that think that, need to hope and pray that LSU doesn't lose a third game which would put Auburn in the SECCG. Unless Bama and Auburn lose a third game, which would put it back to a 3-way tie, unless Arky wins the rest of their games, which would put it into a 4-way tie, in which case all bets are off. By now you should get the point that it is not a given that Bama will go to the SECCG by beating LSU and MSU and losing to Auburn.

252BAMA said:
What you(and everone else) is ASSUMING a 3-Way tie with Bama, Auburn, and LSU. And yes, Bama would go in that scenario. But a 3-way tie is FAR from a given, therefore just beating LSU and MSU does NOT, in itself, put Bama in the SECCG. And all of you that think that, need to hope and pray that LSU doesn't lose a third game which would put Auburn in the SECCG. Unless Bama and Auburn lose a third game, which would put it back to a 3-way tie, unless Arky wins the rest of their games, which would put it into a 4-way tie, in which case all bets are off. By now you should get the point that it is not a given that Bama will go to the SECCG by beating LSU and MSU and losing to Auburn.

Let's put it like this. Alabama beating LSU gives them the best chance they are going to have to be in the SEC Champ game. No, it's not gauranteed that we will go if we beat LSU and MSU, but it would give us the best chance we are going to have.

Bama Bo said:
252BAMA said:

Let's put it like this. Alabama beating LSU gives them the best chance they are going to have to be in the SEC Champ game. No, it's not gauranteed that we will go if we beat LSU and MSU, but it would give us the best chance we are going to have.

No question about that! I guess I'm like the old bull going down the hill with the young bull to the cows. You young bulls want to run down there and win one. I want to walk down and win 'em all.

252BAMA said:
DustyG said:
252BAMA said:
Bones82 said:
252BAMA said:

Let me put it like this, and this is only my opinion. If we beat LSU, we have about a 75-90% chance of going to Atlanta. If we lose to LSU, we have about a 0% chance of going to Atlanta. As Coach Saban has said, the most important game is the next one. If an angel from Heaven came down and gave me the choice of a win over LSU, or a win over the Barn, I wouldn't hesitate to say LSU, because that gives us the best chance to get to Atlanta, which is the ultimate goal (other than a National Championship which is probably out of reach this season). Obviously, if beating them both were an option, I would chose that first. We are in as good a position to control our own destiny as we are ever going to be. Making that destiny include a trip to Atlanta begins next Saturday.

AlaphaMale said:
LBS said:
First domino first.

Beating the barn is absolutely meaningless. We already rule the state where it matters. A win against the barn has no bearing on the national stage, no bearing on recruiting, it won't even affect our ranking as much as a win against LSU will. We gain nothing other than bragging rights by beating the barn. It's not dominoes. We don't have to beat the barn to play for a championship. All beating the barn does this year is break a streak. That is inevitable anyway.

We can't claim domination until it happens on the field. The last decade has shown the West to be ruled by LSU or Auburn or Arkansas or Alabama. Our state can only yield one Western threat each year. HAVING the Auburn domination gains the most ground for us. Owning Auburn first yields more benefit than owning Arkansas or LSU. LSU will always get the lion's share of recruits from Louisiana, as will Arkansas with Arkansas. There is only so much to gain or lose there. A dominant Tide would rule Alabama and Mississippi, and that would be more than LSU and the Hogs could handle.

AlaphaMale said:

exactly the rationale behind my vote for beating LSU.

plus, if you look at the remaining schedules for LSU and Auburn, i think Auburn has a better chance of losing again. so i'd much rather beat LSU since it will more likely place Bama in Atlanta than will a victory over Auburn.

i'd rather have bragging rights over an in-state rival concerning SEC titles than head-to-head competition.

Back
Top Bottom