| FTBL Looking back at the Texas game.

I planned on doing a little film breakdown of a few plays, but I haven't had the time to rewatch the game(id rather not as well, still hurts). I'll say this now, Im fucking sick of the same shit happening in these games, turnovers, penalties, missed tackles, our o-line getting manhandled, D-line not consistently getting any pass push..... and one of the things I'm tired of seeing is both sides of the ball not complementing each other, not helping either one out when they're needed. Defense did a good job in the first half of defending Texas and getting off the field, meanwhile.... our fucking offense could not sustain drives, whether it be penalties, missed assignment, or a turnover. Then the complete opposite in the 2nd half, we finally take the lead, then proceed to give up a touchdown the following drive. I'm sick of watching this same formula play out these last two years, we have to get better on all levels on each side of the ball. It hurts to watch this, I hope we flip it around before it's too late this year, we have a tough slate of games coming up.

I went back and watched in it bits and pieces... it was like trying to force myself to eat bad leftovers. But, I feel a little better about the OL overall than I did late Saturday night. They started off just fine, better than fine really. It wasn't until after Texas went all in, confident that Milroe wasn't going to beat them with his passing, that they started to get overwhelmed. IMO, that's not really on them... they were put in a bad spot at that point. I was really pleased with the WR's as a group too... they made some tough grabs and kept Milroe's night form being even worse. I think as a whole, there has only been 1 drop so far through 2 games (remember in mid-August when folks were having conniption fits over the amount of drops from scrimmage reports?). Niblack is a legitimate weapon... need Dippre to step up too. I'm not concerned with the ILB play or the defensive backs. DL/OLB? Yes. Need more out of them... much more. K/P combo has been outstanding... video game God mode level of play.

I planned on doing a little film breakdown of a few plays, but I haven't had the time to rewatch the game(id rather not as well, still hurts). I'll say this now, Im fucking sick of the same shit happening in these games, turnovers, penalties, missed tackles, our o-line getting manhandled, D-line not consistently getting any pass push..... and one of the things I'm tired of seeing is both sides of the ball not complementing each other, not helping either one out when they're needed. Defense did a good job in the first half of defending Texas and getting off the field, meanwhile.... our fucking offense could not sustain drives, whether it be penalties, missed assignment, or a turnover. Then the complete opposite in the 2nd half, we finally take the lead, then proceed to give up a touchdown the following drive. I'm sick of watching this same formula play out these last two years, we have to get better on all levels on each side of the ball. It hurts to watch this, I hope we flip it around before it's too late this year, we have a tough slate of games coming up.

We did not let our athletes play on defense. Lawson should have been living in their backfield.

I went back and watched in it bits and pieces... it was like trying to force myself to eat bad leftovers. But, I feel a little better about the OL overall than I did late Saturday night. They started off just fine, better than fine really. It wasn't until after Texas went all in, confident that Milroe wasn't going to beat them with his passing, that they started to get overwhelmed. IMO, that's not really on them... they were put in a bad spot at that point. I was really pleased with the WR's as a group too... they made some tough grabs and kept Milroe's night form being even worse. I think as a whole, there has only been 1 drop so far through 2 games (remember in mid-August when folks were having conniption fits over the amount of drops from scrimmage reports?). Niblack is a legitimate weapon... need Dippre to step up too. I'm not concerned with the ILB play or the defensive backs. DL/OLB? Yes. Need more out of them... much more. K/P combo has been outstanding... video game God mode level of play.
ILB's played a good game, up until the 4th quarter at least. We need that front to step up, not putting consistent pressure on the quarterback is a big problem for us. Especially an organic pass rush, theyve been bad at getting to the quarterback without having to bring the linebacker(s), or a blitz from anywhere else. Quinnen Williams was the last player on that front that I can remember that bring consistent pressure as a pass rusher every game.Theres absolutely no reason the guys we have now shouldn't be able to do that. I love Coach Roach, but if there's no improvement this season.... it's probably time to let him go.

The OL had some issues in pass pro, but the run game issues were a direct result of UT not respecting the pass game after Milroe threw the first INT. They crowded the box and played dowhill on the run game. The OL and RBs didn't have a chance because Texas was outnumbering them.

The OL had some issues in pass pro, but the run game issues were a direct result of UT not respecting the pass game after Milroe threw the first INT. They crowded the box and played dowhill on the run game. The OL and RBs didn't have a chance because Texas was outnumbering them.

That's the exact same approach I felt we should have had against a quarterback in Ewers that has proven to be shaky. Instead we sat back and he ate us alive. That's the difference in winning and losing last weekend.

That's the exact same approach I felt we should have had against a quarterback in Ewers that has proven to be shaky. Instead we sat back and he ate us alive. That's the difference in winning and losing last weekend.

The difference is Ewers didn't throw our defense the ball. He was making great throws. That throw when they were backed up on their own 5 was as good as it gets.

From my observations, Texas was clamping down and playing downhill in 1st and 10 - aiming to shut down the run. On 3rd and likely passing distance, they rushed 4 (used a spy occasionally) and made Milore read the D.

So the difference in my mind was that we didn't trust the QB to throw the ball on first and 10 after he threw the pick, and because of that they ran the ball a lot on first and 10, and Texas outnumbered the Bama offense at the LOS.

Texas used a lot of quick game on first and 10, trusted Ewers, and was able to stay in 2nd and 3rd and medium to short.

And to his credit, Ewers played great and threw very very accurately all day (he turned around his deep ball accuracy from week 1 - somehow that always seems to happen when Bama faces a QB who had been struggling).

The difference is Ewers didn't throw our defense the ball. He was making great throws. That throw when they were backed up on their own 5 was as good as it gets.

From my observations, Texas was clamping down and playing downhill in 1st and 10 - aiming to shut down the run. On 3rd and likely passing distance, they rushed 4 (used a spy occasionally) and made Milore read the D.

So the difference in my mind was that we didn't trust the QB to throw the ball on first and 10 after he threw the pick, and because of that they ran the ball a lot on first and 10, and Texas outnumbered the Bama offense at the LOS.

Texas used a lot of quick game on first and 10, trusted Ewers, and was able to stay in 2nd and 3rd and medium to short.

And to his credit, Ewers played great and threw very very accurately all day (he turned around his deep ball accuracy from week 1 - somehow that always seems to happen when Bama faces a QB who had been struggling).

All you're saying is fine, but no matter who it is, if they have all day like he did with no pressure then we will get ate up. All D1 quarterbacks are making those throws unharrased and that's why they D1. Go back and look at Ewers performance when we actually put pressure on him, he looked like a high school Freshman in there with shaky legs and happy feet. Credit to him though as he did the opposite of Milroe abd was able to settle and take advantage when we sidn't pressure, compared to Milroe that was tweaked the rest of the game.

JMO but the lack of really good interior defensive lineman is killing our defense...year after year. We don't have a DL that can whip the guy infront of them and make the plays as years in the past. Every team's OL is handling our bunch. Good news is Nick made mention of that this week as well. It could be the way these guys are asked to play that keeps them from wrecking havoc. Taking a side thus creating a hole can kill you as well but then again if you're getting beat anyway why not take a chance and create a bad play for their offense.

No matter the distance on 3rd down the other teams are making it anyway. It's documented already.

Last edited:
JMO but the lack of really good interior defensive lineman is killing our defense...year after year. We don't have a DL that can whip the guy infront of them and make the plays as years in the past. Every team's OL is handling our bunch. Good news is Nick made mention of that this week as well. It could be the way these guys are asked to play that keeps them from wrecking havoc. Taking a side thus creating a hole can kill you as well but then again if you're getting beat anyway why not take a chance and create a bad play for their offense.

No matter the distance on 3rd down the other teams are making it anyway. It's documented already.

How much is coaching at this point? They've recruited very, very well along the DL.

Back
Top Bottom