| FTBL Linebacker Spot

T

TWBama

Duz anybody know what our linebacking core is gonna be next season? We switched to a 3-4 (Thanks alot Kevin Steele) so now we have 4 linebackers and 3 down lineman. From wut I've seen so far, looks like our 2 inside linebackers r gonna be Prince Hall, and Darren Mustin. Our Outside Linebackers r gonna be Keith Saunders and Ezekial Knight. Somebody tell me if different

Here's what we have from the Spring position chart:

Linebackers
No. Player Ht., Wgt. Class, Exp.
32 Eryk Anders 6-2, 221 So.-SQ
25 Alex Benson 6-2, 215 Fr.-RS
28 Tucker Callahan 6-2, 228 So.-SQ
56 Matt Collins 6-1, 245 Sr.-3VL
39 Justin Dunn 6-0, 225 Fr.-RS
50 Cy Ellis 5-11, 210 So.-RS
21 Prince Hall 5-11, 255 So.-1VL
45 Charlie Higgenbotham 5-11, 225 Fr.-RS
57 Darren Mustin 6-3, 237 Sr.-1VL
38 Joel Nix 6-0, 230 So.-RS
59 Mitch Rey 6-0, 202 Fr.-RS
46 Zach Schrieber 6-1, 211 So.-1VL
48 Travis Sikes 6-3, 195 Fr.-RS
6 Marcel Stamps 6-2, 199 Sr.-3VL
44 DeMarcus Waldrop 5-11, 200 Sr.-3VL

Many times, Spring game performance is not a very good indicator of Fall playing time, but Higgenbotham and Anders both had seven tackles in the A-Day game. I would expect Collins to see significant time, and Waldrop should be there as well.

RTR,

Tim

" Inexperienced linebackers: Only one starting linebacker returns, sophomore Prince Hall, who earned freshman All-SEC honors with 77 tackles and two sacks last season. The switch to a 3-4 requires more linebackers.Walk-on Darren Mustin earned the other inside spot during the spring. Defensive ends Keith Saunders and Ezekial Knight were moved to outside linebacker, where Saban hopes they'll be able to help in pass protection. They're still grasping the nuances of pass coverage, though."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2880066

Waldrop was hurt the entire spring

TWBama said:
" Inexperienced linebackers: Only one starting linebacker returns, sophomore Prince Hall, who earned freshman All-SEC honors with 77 tackles and two sacks last season. The switch to a 3-4 requires more linebackers.Walk-on Darren Mustin earned the other inside spot during the spring. Defensive ends Keith Saunders and Ezekial Knight were moved to outside linebacker, where Saban hopes they'll be able to help in pass protection. They're still grasping the nuances of pass coverage, though."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2880066

Waldrop was hurt the entire spring

Collins started four games before losing his spot to Hall. He should figure into the rotation. I may be wrong, but I believe Waldrop will make it back - he started three games last year. It's also possible a true freshman (most likely McClain) could see significant time.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
It's also possible a true freshman (most likely McClain) could see significant time.

RTR,

Tim

I would love for Rolando to start next season. Is he inside or outside? Has he qualified yet? I know he's not on the spring roster...
http://www.rolltide.com/SportSelect...RDER=1&SPID=3011&DB_OEM_ID=8000&Q_SEASON=2007

Then again, there were only 1 or 2 true freshman at spring. He was our top prospect coming in. Him and Kerry Murphy.

Also, so much could change over the course of summer. What's now is most likely not gonna be in the fall. The only spot set in stone is Prince.

Mustin and Collins will rotate at the inside spot opposite Hall

I'm not sure where McClain will end up this first year, I'm guessing it's wherever we need him most (I think he ends up at Jack after the first)

I think Zeke is a good fit where he is at right now, probably should have been there from the beginning...but Saunders agility has me a little worried, and I'm thinking that is where McClain ends up at when it's all said and done

Once Saban gets this defense installed and everyone's comfortable this defense is going to be awesome, with blitzes coming from all directions, and there are so many different looks that you can give as opposed to a 4-3. I think the one thing we are missing right now is a HUGE nose tackle to occupy more than one blocker (which is why we need Murphy in there this year)

TWBama said:
TrojanTiger13 said:
Is Matt Collins the brother of Sam Collins?

Who's Sam Collins?

Personal: He is the son of Susan and Danny Collins and he has a sister, Amanda and a brother, Drew. Born 12-15-84. He is in pre-major studies.

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle...11&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=508998&Q_SEASON=2007

You profess to be a student of the game, TWBama. Do a little research. It doesn't take long, and it gives you a broader knowledge and better appreciation of all things crimson.

Sam Collins was an excellent possession receiver, attending Bama from 99-02. He's nestled between Toderick Malone and Joey Jones in career receptions (pretty good company), and was in the top 15 all-time at the time. I believe his family had a skybox in the east upper deck and hung a banner for him at each game for at least his last two seasons. It said something like "Go Sam #4" (I think he was #4) on it. He's from Fayette, Matt's from Pinson.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
You profess to be a student of the game, TWBama. Do a little research. It doesn't take long, and it gives you a broader knowledge and better appreciation of all things crimson.

Sam Collins was an excellent possession receiver, attending Bama from 99-02. He's nestled between Toderick Malone and Joey Jones in career receptions (pretty good company), and was in the top 15 all-time at the time. I believe his family had a skybox in the east upper deck and hung a banner for him at each game for at least his last two seasons. It said something like "Go Sam #4" (I think he was #4) on it. He's from Fayette, Matt's from Pinson.

RTR,

Tim

I'm more of a "Here and Now" kinda guy. I mean don't get me wrong History's great and everything, especially Bama's history. It's just not my thing. I'm more experienced in the area of "Current News"

Go Sam #4" (I think he was #4) on it. He's from Fayette, Matt's from Pinson.

#7. Will Oakley has his number now and if last year was any indication....looks like he will do the number justice. He seems to be the same type of receiver that Sam was. He doesn't have the lime-light of our other two. Hall and Brown, but Will looks like he will be the go to guy for a first down. Able to sneak out underneath coverage b/c everybody else is focusing on the "big" receivers.

rammerjammer said:
Go Sam #4" (I think he was #4) on it. He's from Fayette, Matt's from Pinson.

#7. Will Oakley has his number now and if last year was any indication....looks like he will do the number justice. He seems to be the same type of receiver that Sam was. He doesn't have the lime-light of our other two. Hall and Brown, but Will looks like he will be the go to guy for a first down. Able to sneak out underneath coverage b/c everybody else is focusing on the "big" receivers.

My bad. I knew it was single digits.

TWBama said:
It Takes Eleven said:

RTR,

Tim

I'm more of a "Here and Now" kinda guy. I mean don't get me wrong History's great and everything, especially Bama's history. It's just not my thing. I'm more experienced in the area of "Current News"

Having even a brief background in Bama football provides a perspective that allows one to better grasp the here and now.

RollTideRandy said:
Is Matt Collins the son of Phil Collins? If so, Billy better not lose his number. :lol:

oscars2.jpg

Phil even thought that was funny, Randy. :lol:

What have you been having for happy hour? a Tom Collins or three?

TWBama said:
BamaFan14 said:
Mustin and Collins will rotate at the inside spot opposite Hall

Opposite Hall? He's inside to!! What makes u so sure Collins has the starting spot?

we run a 3-4, meaning there will be 3 linemen and 4 LB's...leaving 2 inside LB's....so Hall will have one inside spot, and there will be a rotation between Mustin and Collins opposite Hall(Mustin won the starting role in the spring - I never said Collins would be starting, Mustin will be starting unless McClain takes it from him)

TWBama said:
It Takes Eleven said:

RTR,

Tim

You nearly have to be when you're 15 I must say.

Sam was a great WR. Always knew he would come up with a clutch reception.

Back
Top Bottom