| FTBL Lia's eligibility granted and Maryland's QB from last year opts out of senior season

bama alum

Well...I guess we're seeing our first Covid casualty (no spring practice).

Alabama sophomore quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa has entered the NCAA transfer portal, BamaOnLine has confirmed. Matt Zenitz of AL.com was first to report the move.

The younger brother of former Crimson Tide star quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, Taulia appeared in five games this past season and took over as the backup signal-caller after his brother went down with a dislocated hip in mid-November. Taulia threw for 100 yards and a touchdown while completing 75 percent (9-of-12) of his passes as a true freshman at Alabama.

A former 4-star recruit at Thompson (Ala.) High School, Taulia was the nation’s fifth-best, dual-threat quarterback, the No. 8 player in the state of Alabama and the 180th overall prospect in the 2019 recruiting cycle, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

Taulia’s departure leaves the Crimson Tide with three scholarship quarterbacks -- redshirt junior Mac Jones, who started four games a season ago, redshirt freshman Paul Tyson, who played in one game last year, and freshman Bryce Young, who enrolled early in January.

Established in October of 2018, the NCAA’s transfer portal now allows collegiate student-athletes to merely enter their name into an online database and wait for collegiate teams to contact them. It is also worth noting that players can withdraw their name from the portal, too.

CLICK HERE FOR 247SPORTS' LIVE TRANSFER PORTAL FEED

Alabama has already lost three scholarship players to transfers this offseason in the form of running back Jerome Ford (Cincinnati), offensive tackle Scott Lashley (Mississippi State) and cornerback Nigel Knott (East Carolina). Two more Crimson Tide players in cornerback Scooby Carter and tight end Giles Amos are also currently in the transfer portal.

*** This story will be updated.

Last edited:
Lia wasn't going to overcome Mac if this season happens. Bryce already in and Saban still looking to pick up top talent at the QB position every year means it will only get tougher. Might as well transfer to somewhere in South Florida and get all the attention that comes with being a Dolphins QB's little brother and possible starter at his school.

Not too surprised, and honestly a little relieved for him, because it's early enough in his career to find a good fit and hopefully string together some great seasons as "The Man".

Still feel like that his season was poorly managed by the Coaching Staff (Appearing in 5 games). Doubtful it would make a difference in him staying or going though. RTR

Tua answered that.

It wasn't his choice to attend in the first place. There's a reason I'm saying he's not getting a fair shake from some fans.

Ok, so does this mean Galu wasn't happy with Alabama? You're confusing me, cause when I asked this you pointed me to an interview when he said they liked Alabama.

So my question is, when do they boys becomes men of their own and make their own decisions? I understand the Samoan culture with family, but did Galu have to take direction from his father till he was 40? I guess I'm just not understanding why he is still calling the shots. It also seems like they plan on living off Tua's money and success. Is that a fair statement?

Can't say I'm surprised. The only way I saw Lia hanging around for one more season was had Tua elected to not enter the draft. I know Tua has said that he would likely be on his own in Miami, but I'm sure there are some that still think that the family will try and stay close, putting Lia in a Florida school. Others of note that recruited him, Nebraska, Michigan, Ole Piss, LSwho, Ok State, Oregon, USCe, and the Viles.

Ok, so does this mean Galu wasn't happy with Alabama? You're confusing me, cause when I asked this you pointed me to an interview when he said they liked Alabama.

So my question is, when do they boys becomes men of their own and make their own decisions? I understand the Samoan culture with family, but did Galu have to take direction from his father till he was 40? I guess I'm just not understanding why he is still calling the shots. It also seems like they plan on living off Tua's money and success. Is that a fair statement?
It's such a unique situation. Yes, they are happy with Tua's experience at Bama. Yes, they are happy with what's happened with their family while they've been at Bama.

But this goes back to what I've been pointing to for months now. How many articles and reviews have you seen linked here, or one's the 'bot' pulled, that talked about Bryce and his role in '20? I'm guessing on the number but I'm thinking I've seen more than a handful of national analyst say he'd grab the starting role his freshman year. Now, no more than 10 or so ... but that's not the point.

Is this what we want football to be?

How long have I been 'screaming' that? I know. I got it in 2012, December, when watching WatchESPN...watched every Ole Miss game before the bowl season kicked off. Football has changed.

Code:
Oh shit, here comes a rant sponsored by ______

@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw the complaints about the defense when the game has changed.
@50+yeartidefan when you realize how it's changed, you'll see the benefit of facing a team like Duke: Cut's offensive mind. You see why TCU is a better opponent that USC.

Opinion:

When Saban arrived at Bama do you remember how many teams ran the 3-4?
When you look it up, and then compare it to today, you'll see one way he affected college football.

How many teams in the SEC run a variation of the 3-4?

His defensive approach—make their ass quit—wasn't seen in a lot of places. His team approach—MTAQ—wasn't found in a lot of places.

wasn't found in a lot of places.

It is now. You see it with Mario. You see it with Kirby, Pruitt, and to a "hat tip kind of nod" what Love is starting at Ole Miss.

This type of football, Saban's old approach...It does not work any more. It does, in a sense, because few teams can match the talent. It won't "rule" football.

Just like Julio changed the perception of Bama ... Tua changed Bama football.

Today's football requires, requires, elite play from the QB position.

You guys will see what I'm talking about with Bryce.

He's elite talent that Lia could not beat out.

Code:
That deserves a Maduro...

@It Takes Eleven to go along with that...something I thought you'd appreciate. Maybe not... 🤷‍♂️

'bout to crack to top of a '16 bottle...single malt, Scotch, Glenorangie Private Edition.

It's such a unique situation. Yes, they are happy with Tua's experience at Bama. Yes, they are happy with what's happened with their family while they've been at Bama.

But this goes back to what I've been pointing to for months now. How many articles and reviews have you seen linked here, or one's the 'bot' pulled, that talked about Bryce and his role in '20? I'm guessing on the number but I'm thinking I've seen more than a handful of national analyst say he'd grab the starting role his freshman year. Now, no more than 10 or so ... but that's not the point.

How long have I been 'screaming' that? I know. I got it in 2012, December, when watching WatchESPN...watched every Ole Miss game before the bowl season kicked off. Football has changed.

Code:
Oh shit, here comes a rant sponsored by ______

@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw the complaints about the defense when the game has changed.
@50+yeartidefan when you realize how it's changed, you'll see the benefit of facing a team like Duke: Cut's offensive mind. You see why TCU is a better opponent that USC.

Opinion:

When Saban arrived at Bama do you remember how many teams ran the 3-4?
When you look it up, and then compare it to today, you'll see one way he affected college football.

How many teams in the SEC run a variation of the 3-4?

His defensive approach—make their ass quit—wasn't seen in a lot of places. His team approach—MTAQ—wasn't found in a lot of places.

It is now. You see it with Mario. You see it with Kirby, Pruitt, and to a "hat tip kind of nod" what Love is starting at Ole Miss.

This type of football, Saban's old approach...It does not work any more. It does, in a sense, because few teams can match the talent. It won't "rule" football.

Just like Julio changed the perception of Bama ... Tua changed Bama football.

Today's football requires, requires, elite play from the QB position.

You guys will see what I'm talking about with Bryce.

He's elite talent that Lia could not beat out.

Code:
That deserves a Maduro...

@It Takes Eleven to go along with that...something I thought you'd appreciate. Maybe not... 🤷‍♂️

'bout to crack to top of a '16 bottle...single malt, Scotch, Glenorangie Private Edition.

In football right now, you are starting to see the emergence of the of the super team. You basically need to be rounded in all aspects of the game, or you'll be screwed in the big games. In 2016, I believe Alabama was a better team than Clemson, but due to the fact they were more well rounded on offense than Alabama was, they were able to outlast Bama in that game. This past year, Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson were all collectively impressive and did not have any serious deficiencies on their teams.

For what its worth, I hate what football is becoming these days. College football is rotting from the inside. From a game point of view, all the teams are transitioning now to spread offenses, and bad ass defensive teams are becoming a thing of yesterday. Culturally, the game is decomposing. Free agency is basically now a thing in college football, and with players now being able to be compensated, I fear what collateral effects could be looming. Yes, I understand that change is often an inevitability, but that doesn't mean its necessarily a beneficial thing.

Back
Top Bottom