| LIFE Legendary singer-songwriter David Crosby dies at 81

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Legendary singer-songwriter David Crosby dies at 81

Legendary musician David Crosby dead at 81

Jan. 19, 2023, 4:54 PM CST / Updated Jan. 19, 2023, 6:53 PM CST
By Diana Dasrath, Tim Stelloh and The Associated Press
David Crosby, the legendary singer-songwriter and founding member of the Byrds and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, has died, a source close to the musician confirmed Thursday. He was 81.
The two-time Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee died after a long illness, his wife said in a statement to Variety.

"He was lovingly surrounded by his wife and soulmate Jan and son Django," she told the outlet. "Although he is no longer here with us, his humanity and kind soul will continue to guide and inspire us. His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music."
Pop group The Byrds (l to r): Chris Hillman; Dave Crosby; Mike Clark; Jim McGuinn; and Gene Clark. (Photo by © Hulton-Deutsch Collection/CORBIS/Corbis via Getty Images)
From left, The Byrds, Chris Hillman, Dave Crosby, Mike Clark, Jim McGuinn, and Gene Clark, in 1965.Hulton-Deutsch Collection / Corbis via Getty Images file
In a Facebook post, former bandmate Graham Nash recalled the focus on their sometimes-volatile relationship — Crosby lashed out at him publicly as recently as two years ago in an interview with the Guardian — but said that the "pure joy" of making music with Crosby was what mattered most.
"David was fearless in life and in music," Nash said. "He leaves behind a tremendous void as far as sheer personality and talent in this world. He spoke his mind, his heart, and his passion through his beautiful music and leaves an incredible legacy. These are the things that matter most."
Crosby’s final release, “Live at the Capitol Theater,” came out last month. In an interview with the site ultimateclassicrock.com, he described the performance captured in the recording as “magical.”
Crosby, who was born in Los Angeles, joined the Byrds in 1964, scoring their first hit with Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man."
Crosby, Stills & Nash — later known as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young when joined by musician Neil Young — were founded the following year and released a series of hits with "Marrakesh Express," "Just a Song Before I Go," "Woodstock" and others.
The band's album, "Looking Forward," was released in 1999.
Crosby, Stills and Nash posing backstage at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco on November 23 1991 (L-R): David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash.
From left, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash of Crosby, Stills & Nash in San Francisco, on Nov. 23 1991.Clayton Call / Redferns file
Crosby was inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice — once in 1991 with the Byrds and again six years later with Crosby, Stills & Nash.
In last month's interview, he said that he was no longer touring because of tendonitis in both hands.
Crosby underwent a liver transplant in 1994 after decades of drug use and survived diabetes, hepatitis C and heart surgery in his 70s.

Previous drug use left him bloated, broke and alienated. He kicked the addiction in 1985 and 1986 during a year’s prison stretch in Texas on drug and weapons charges. The conviction eventually was overturned.
“I’ve always said that I picked up the guitar as a shortcut to sex and after my first joint I was sure that if everyone smoked dope there’d be an end to war,” Crosby said in his 1988 autobiography, “Long Time Gone,” co-written with Carl Gottlieb. “I was right about the sex. I was wrong when it came to drugs.”
He lived years longer than even he expected and in his 70s enjoyed a creative renaissance, issuing several solo albums while collaborating with others including his son James Raymond, who became a favorite songwriting partner.
“Most guys my age would have done a covers record or duets on old material,” he told Rolling Stone in 2013, shortly before “Croz” was released. “This won’t be a huge hit. It’ll probably sell nineteen copies. I don’t think kids are gonna dig it, but I’m not making it for them. I’m making it for me. I have this stuff that I need to get off my chest.”
Crosby married longtime girlfriend Jan Dance in 1987. The couple had a son, Django, in 1995. Crosby also had a daughter, Donovan, with Debbie Donovan. Shortly after he underwent the liver transplant, Crosby was reunited with Raymond, who had been placed for adoption in 1961. Raymond, Crosby and Jeff Pevar later performed together in a group called CPR.
“I regretted losing him many times,” Crosby told the AP of Raymond in 1998. “I was too immature to parent anybody, and too irresponsible.”
In 2000, Melissa Etheridge revealed that Crosby was the father of the two children she shared with then-partner Julie Cypher. Cypher carried the children Crosby fathered by artificial insemination, Etheridge told Rolling Stone. One son, Beckett, died in 2020.
Crosby didn’t help raise the children but said, “If, you know, in due time, at a distance, they’re proud of who their genetic dad is, that’s great.”

Back
Top Bottom