| MBB/WBB Legendary College Basketball Coach Bobby Knight Has Died

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Legendary College Basketball Coach Bobby Knight Has Died

1698879076188.png

The basketball community received heartbreaking news this Wednesday night. Legendary coach Bob Knight has passed away at the age of 83.

The Knight family released a statement on Knight's passing.

"It is with heavy hearts that we share that Coach Bob Knight passed away at his home in Bloomington surrounded by his family. We are grateful for all the thoughts and prayers, and appreciate the continued respect for our privacy as Coach requested a private family gathering, which is being honored," the family said. "We will continue to celebrate his life and remember him, today and forever as a beloved Husband, Father, Coach, and Friend."

The Knight family is kindly asking people to consider sending a memorial contribution to the Alzheimer's Association of Marian University in honor of Knight.

Knight, who was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1991, coached Indiana from 1971-2000. He made the Final Four five times during that stretch and won three national championships.

While there's no doubt Knight was known for his intense personality, his record spoke for itself. He finished his coaching career with 902 wins.

In addition to Knight's lengthy stint at Indiana, he coached Army and Texas Tech.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Knight family at this time.

Years ago, my when my brother was a grad student at IU (late 90's), he and some friends came across some old footage hidden away in an SID storage room on campus. It was a box of old tapes of a Bobby Knight Golf Show that was filmed in the 80's. They dug through them, watched them, and found some incredible outtakes that had apparently never seen the light of day. They complied some of the better outtakes and made a separate tape of just those. I think multiple copies ended up getting made as it was before YouTube at the time. Eventually a portion was shared for the world when someone uploaded a clip of them several years later... some of you have probably seen them at some point. But when I think of Bobby Knight, I think of him throwing chairs across the court... but then, I think of these golf clips that almost stayed hidden away forever...

I remember UAB getting them in the tourney, and then they got to come back to Bham for the regional. They had already enjoyed winning the Sunbelt tourney in the BJCC as well. Oliver Robinson, Norman Anchrum, Chris Giles, they had a good team, I used to get tickets as a high schooler through the Bham News. After they beat Indiana in the NCAA first round, it really opened up for them, back home in Bham they took out VA and Ralph Sampson. Then there was a moment in the tourney where I believe it was Anchrum, leading late against Louisville, had a brain freeze and threw the ball directly to the defender pressing under the basket. It was the turning point, and UAB lost what looked like a sure Final Four. That was Bartow's high point at UAB.

Love him or hate him as a coach or person, the guy got the best out of his players. Yes, he had many altercations with fans, refs and administration through his years and 3 with players that I can recall quickly. The whip incident, the choking of a player and kicking his son on the bench. Army, IU and Texas Tech all won way more games with him at the helm of their programs.

Bama gave IU all they wanted in IU's undefeated championship run of 76. Bama took them down to the last few minutes in an NCAA tournament game when few t4eams got into the tournament. Leon Douglas, Anthony Murray, Reggie King, T.R. Dunn and I think Ricky Brown started on this team.

May his family find peace and comfort during these difficult days.

We were robbed in that '76 NCAA tournament game and Knight knew it he came to the Bama locker room after the game and told the team they had out played Indiana. I saw a video clip of the call this year for the first time it was terrible.

Years ago, my when my brother was a grad student at IU (late 90's), he and some friends came across some old footage hidden away in an SID storage room on campus. It was a box of old tapes of a Bobby Knight Golf Show that was filmed in the 80's. They dug through them, watched them, and found some incredible outtakes that had apparently never seen the light of day. They complied some of the better outtakes and made a separate tape of just those. I think multiple copies ended up getting made as it was before YouTube at the time. Eventually a portion was shared for the world when someone uploaded a clip of them several years later... some of you have probably seen them at some point. But when I think of Bobby Knight, I think of him throwing chairs across the court... but then, I think of these golf clips that almost stayed hidden away forever...

Can you imagine what his language was like when he knew he wasn’t being recorded? Those team huddles when they were behind (or even ahead) must have been enlightening.

Back
Top Bottom