| FTBL Kentucky football: After 44 years, Commonwealth Stadium has a new name: Kroger Field

It's 85 miles from Lexington to Cincinnati (you must drive fast). It used to be that a company would seek to name a stadium near their HQ (Valvoline is in Lexington). Mercedes Benz in Atlanta, Levi's Stadium with the 49ers, Raymond James in Tampa, MetLife in NY/NJ. I don't think Kroger will get the mileage that other companies have received for their sponsorship dollars.

The Kroger Grocery Chain is located all over KY, IN., OH., and W.V. The only point I am making is that it is a familiar brand in those states, major conference and UK basketball.

Based on what I've read--scant on a lot of specific detail--I don't think we can compare the examples you've listed with this deal. While it is 'sponsors,' there are some pretty distinct contrasts in their reach and what is provided. With these parties involved it is more than a name change. (But good god, the branding at Kroger's disposal here?)

When you throw in companies like JMI Sports you have to throw out conceptions with these agreements.

Let's not forget this is an agreement with the University of Kentucky as well as the University of Kentucky Athletic Department. Student accounts are linked to Kroger and their main grocery store (two blocks from housing/athletics.) That banana bought at the little store on the way to close ... Kroger, again. Pharmacy ...

Lexington is a small market. UK doesn't get on TV much and when they're on, they don't get the viewership of Alabama, UGA, LSU or even Auburn. As a result, the exposure Kroger gets is minimal. They may dominate the Lexington market, but is that worth the money paid?

The Kroger Grocery Chain is located all over KY, IN., OH., and W.V. The only point I am making is that it is a familiar brand in those states, major conference and UK basketball.

I didn't see where Kroger is sponsoring UK basketball. They are only getting naming rights to the football stadium. If you already have significant exposure in the market, do you need more?

This is where you're missing the point, OP. They are getting much more than their name on the stadium. A quick overview of the details can be found ITT.

Everything that Kroger gets is UK-focused:

"What differentiates the agreement is its comprehensive nature that extends on campus at UK and ensures a long-term commitment to the Commonwealth’s flagship university and Kentucky’s children and communities. For example, Kroger and UK will work together to improve community fields across the Commonwealth as part of the Kroger Fields Community Program and a community 5K race – the Simple Truth 5K – will finish at the 50-yard line at the newly renamed Kroger Field.

“The common goal of this partnership is for Kroger customers to benefit, Kentucky football fans to benefit, and ultimately the entire community to benefit,” said Calvin Kaufman, president of Kroger’s Louisville Division. “We look forward to showing what can be accomplished when two iconic brands like UK and Kroger, which have similar values and rich heritage, work together on health and wellness initiatives, community engagement, and enhanced experiences for our customers and fans.”

Through this partnership, Kroger becomes the Official Fuel Partner of the University of Kentucky and the Official Grocery Partner of Move-In at UK while also providing additional engagement opportunities with UK students in discussion now. Per the agreement, Kroger is also the Official Nutrition and Pharmacy Partner of UK Athletics."

Not everyone is happy with the plan: Kentucky's Commonwealth Stadium pioneers differ on opinions of new Kroger Field name

Everything that Kroger gets is UK-focused:
Which is the point of this being much more than tacking their name on the stadium.
"What differentiates the agreement is its comprehensive nature that extends on campus at UK and ensures a long-term commitment to the Commonwealth’s flagship university and Kentucky’s children and communities.
That touches on this a bit. What seems to be missed are the monies Kroger will be making through their grocery, nutrition, and pharmacy agreements--which cover UK as a whole. That alone is worth 1.8 million per year, in my opinion.

I didn't see where Kroger is sponsoring UK basketball. They are only getting naming rights to the football stadium. If you already have significant exposure in the market, do you need more?

Technically, they are not a sponsor of UK basketball but it does have a direct impact on the entire UK athletic brand. Bottom line, its $$$$$

This theory that Kroger doesn't sponsor basketball needs to be retired. It's wrong. You'll notice that's last season's schedule.

http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.silverchalice.co%2Fkty-prod%2F2016%2F10%2F10%2F20161010210717_2016_17_mbb_poster_rupp_calipari_jpg

Back
Top Bottom