| FTBL Kentucky football: After 44 years, Commonwealth Stadium has a new name: Kroger Field

TerryP

Staff
First Commonwealth Stadium underwent a facelift and now it’s getting a brand new name.

With an emphasis on “brand.”

The home of the University of Kentucky football team will now be known as Kroger Field, per a deal struck between the university, the UK Athletics department and marketing partner JMI Sports.

“An unprecedented partnership that pairs two iconic brands: UK and Kroger, whose reach extends throughout the commonwealth and far, far beyond our borders,” university President Eli Capilouto said of the agreement, which is for 12 years and $1.85 million annually.

The stadium name change is still contingent on approval by the university’s Board of Trustees at its meeting Tuesday. It is the first name change since the venue opened in 1973.

On the west end of the stadium facing Nicholasville Road, there soon will be new signage replacing the “Welcome to Commonwealth Stadium” with “Welcome to Kroger Field.”

But that is just the start of the changes, which will include new interior, exterior and directional signage. All UK materials referencing the stadium will immediately refer to the new name: Kroger Field.

Kentucky also has agreed to place the Kroger logo on the field opposite the Southeastern Conference logo on the 25-yard lines, one official confirmed.

“This partnership is a lot more than the name of our football stadium,” Kentucky Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart said of the deal with Kroger. “It’s about our shared commitment to this university and to this state.”

Read more here: After 44 years, Commonwealth Stadium has a new name: Kroger Field

I wonder if the SEC had to agree to advertising on the field of play. It's already on the field at the "kickoff classic" neutral site games, but I just haven't noticed at the college home fields.

RTR,

Tim

but I just haven't noticed at the college home fields.
...marketing partner JMI Sports.

If I'm reading this correctly, it's the same type of company that's controlling concessions, etc., for UA--Leerfield, maybe? The name escapes me. It goes above and beyond concession agreements in place.

This Kroger deal is pretty in depth, Tim. The term I'm running across is "fuel partner." Kroger is basically going to be their partner. Official nutrition partner. That can cover a lot. Grocery store/Pharmacy ...the "Official" one from UK.

It's not something I would look for. Is there a Kroger on campus in Lexington?>

The Kroger company has its headquarters in Cincinnati, an hours drive north of Lexington. UC and Xavier are located in Cincy and Columbus is 1 1/2 hours northeast. I am sure the powers that be at Kroger wanted a major conference like the SEC and UK basketball is huge nationwide so IMO, this makes sense. As the old saying goes, "show me the money!"

Last edited:
I really like that! Maybe you should copyright that slogan along with Coca-Cola Field.

Maybe they have advertisements on all seats...you wouldnt be in section U3E...
You would be in coca-Cola section...(cause all the fans are sweet)...
Or U4M....that would be the Kentucky Fried Chicken section....(cause you get cooked nice and brown in September games)
Should I go on???????

If I'm reading this correctly, it's the same type of company that's controlling concessions, etc., for UA--Leerfield, maybe? The name escapes me. It goes above and beyond concession agreements in place.

This Kroger deal is pretty in depth, Tim. The term I'm running across is "fuel partner." Kroger is basically going to be their partner. Official nutrition partner. That can cover a lot. Grocery store/Pharmacy ...the "Official" one from UK.

It's not something I would look for. Is there a Kroger on campus in Lexington?>

Aramark?

Sounds like they are still paying the bills for their latest football facilities. Inside one of those buildings, is the 1950 national championship won by HC, Paul "Bear" Bryant. I'm still counting it (7).

I really like that! Maybe you should copyright that slogan along with Coca-Cola Field.

I'm curious if the fizzy water business will be able to bankroll a sponsorship in 20 years. If everyone knew that bottled water usually comes from a tap and lets chemicals from the bottle leach into it until you drink it, they'd lose a good bit of their sales. It's good they have a handle on the juice market and have expanded into coffee, but I'm not a fan of their long-term growth prospects.

RTR,

Tim

No. It's Learfield. When Battle worked out the deal with Learfield one of his main consultants was JMI Sports who are mentioned earlier. It took a minute to remember how all of this went down. It didn't get much play from the media despite what Battle accomplished. It was in the spring of '14 and I'm sure you can easily remember where the attention was focused--it wasn't on media negotiations.

To the best of my memory ...

When Battle closed the deal with Learfield it was one of the biggest multi-media rights deals at the time. Top three. Bama came in third behind Texas and Notre Dame (yeppers, both with their own networks.)

The payday for UA came in the form of what else Learfield took over. We're no longer talking about CTSM. The reason UA is getting such a high guarantee are these things outside of CTSM: concessions, your sports drink market, seat stuff, merchandise sales...

Pouring rights and concessions are usually sold by the school. These contracts use the word "isotonic" a lot to cover your Gatorade's and other energy drinks. So, it's Learfield that conrols these rights for UA. Boom. Payday each year. The amount Bama was/is getting paid doubled.

(BTW, Learield sold the pouring rights to Coco-Cpola, concessions to another company that wasn't Aramark {at least at that time, I'll think of the name,} and Gatorade fit that isotonic category.

No. It's Learfield. When Battle worked out the deal with Learfield one of his main consultants was JMI Sports who are mentioned earlier. It took a minute to remember how all of this went down. It didn't get much play from the media despite what Battle accomplished. It was in the spring of '14 and I'm sure you can easily remember where the attention was focused--it wasn't on media negotiations.

To the best of my memory ...

When Battle closed the deal with Learfield it was one of the biggest multi-media rights deals at the time. Top three. Bama came in third behind Texas and Notre Dame (yeppers, both with their own networks.)

The payday for UA came in the form of what else Learfield took over. We're no longer talking about CTSM. The reason UA is getting such a high guarantee are these things outside of CTSM: concessions, your sports drink market, seat stuff, merchandise sales...

Pouring rights and concessions are usually sold by the school. These contracts use the word "isotonic" a lot to cover your Gatorade's and other energy drinks. So, it's Learfield that conrols these rights for UA. Boom. Payday each year. The amount Bama was/is getting paid doubled.

(BTW, Learield sold the pouring rights to Coco-Cpola, concessions to another company that wasn't Aramark {at least at that time, I'll think of the name,} and Gatorade fit that isotonic category.

Intradasting.

Aramark handles Bama Dining. Figured they were doing gameday concessions as well.

I also thought Learfield was only a mass media company. When did they get into concessions contracting?

When did they get into concessions contracting?
A few years before the deal. When Bama was going through this A&M was dealing with a company called Levy Restaurants. It was right on top of Bama's deal. I noticed at the time Learfield and Levy were basically one in the same--they call it a joint venture.

Bama's concession deal ... that's Centermark, Centerpoint, ... it'll come to me.

Maybe they have advertisements on all seats...you wouldnt be in section U3E...
You would be in coca-Cola section...(cause all the fans are sweet)...
Or U4M....that would be the Kentucky Fried Chicken section....(cause you get cooked nice and brown in September games)
Should I go on???????

The convention center in Louisville is already the YUM Center in honor of KFC. So many places to go with that name.

The Kroger company has its headquarters in Cincinnati, an hours drive north of Lexington. UC and Xavier are located in Cincy and Columbus is 1 1/2 hours northeast. I am sure the powers that be at Kroger wanted a major conference like the SEC and UK basketball is huge nationwide so IMO, this makes sense. As the old saying goes, "show me the money!"

It's 85 miles from Lexington to Cincinnati (you must drive fast). It used to be that a company would seek to name a stadium near their HQ (Valvoline is in Lexington). Mercedes Benz in Atlanta, Levi's Stadium with the 49ers, Raymond James in Tampa, MetLife in NY/NJ. I don't think Kroger will get the mileage that other companies have received for their sponsorship dollars.

I don't think Kroger will get the mileage that other companies have received for their sponsorship dollars.
Based on what I've read--scant on a lot of specific detail--I don't think we can compare the examples you've listed with this deal. While it is 'sponsors,' there are some pretty distinct contrasts in their reach and what is provided. With these parties involved it is more than a name change. (But good god, the branding at Kroger's disposal here?)

When you throw in companies like JMI Sports you have to throw out conceptions with these agreements.

Let's not forget this is an agreement with the University of Kentucky as well as the University of Kentucky Athletic Department. Student accounts are linked to Kroger and their main grocery store (two blocks from housing/athletics.) That banana bought at the little store on the way to close ... Kroger, again. Pharmacy ...

Back
Top Bottom