| FTBL John Parker Wilson!

BAMAFSTBACK

Verified Member
With everyone having their own Julio thread singing Paul Simon "Me and Julio down by the school yard" I thought I would make a JPW thread!

John Parker is going to have a breakout year this year and silence all them critics! I have been a huge supporter of his ever since the first touchdown he scored against Auburn. Kid won back to back State championships in High school and gives 200% to the crimson tide during times when they needed it the most. He's a winner and I look forward to him bringing the heat all season long! He is what Alabama football is all about! ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

BAMAFSTBACK said:
With everyone having their own Julio thread singing Paul Simon "Me and Julio down by the school yard" I thought I would make a JPW thread!

John Parker is going to have a breakout year this year and silence all them critics! I have been a huge supporter of his ever since the first touchdown he scored against Auburn. Kid won back to back State championships in High school and gives 200% to the crimson tide during times when they needed it the most. He's a winner and I look forward to him bringing the heat all season long! He is what Alabama football is all about! ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

JPW does not have the skill to pick up and carry a team - which is what he was trying to do last year. He does have the skill to win big when he has a supporting cast on the same page.

This year he has a much fuller cast and they are on the same page.

Saturday cannot get here fast enough.

I am with Big fan, JPW is a very good player but he is only as good as those around him. Look at what happened last year after the Tennessee game. He has big play ability but I don't think he is one that makes players around him better.

I'm behind JPW 100% and have confidence that he'll do good things this season. If he keeps the mistakes to a minimum and makes the occasional big plays, it could end up being a impressive season. If he stays healthy it already known he has multiple records wrapped up. I would love for him to go out on a high note and add a exclamation point to his name in the record books. Overall, I'm confident that McElwain and JP are on the same page and are on the right track...I guess we'll see this Saturday.

Yea, JPW doesnt have enough skill to change a game, and thats exactly why hes broken certain QB records at Alabama and is on the verge of breaking more this season.

His completely mediocre skill level allows for an Oline to break, and caused all those WR's to tip balls for interceptions.

I mean, breaking our all time record in passing yards as he might this year is just a testiment to how easy it is to be a QB nowadays. He is totally awful. Thank the good Lord we pulled in new WR talent that is capable of throwing the ball, then running down field to catch it solo.

/end sarcasm

I mightve been a little rough(Im just dry witted by nature and I dont mean to offend or call anyone out), but I just feel that way when people doubt JPW. I really want him to break out on the scene this year.

joeman546 said:
Yea, JPW doesnt have enough skill to change a game, and thats exactly why hes broken certain QB records at Alabama and is on the verge of breaking more this season.

His completely mediocre skill level allows for an Oline to break, and caused all those WR's to tip balls for interceptions.

I mean, breaking our all time record in passing yards as he might this year is just a testiment to how easy it is to be a QB nowadays. He is totally awful. Thank the good Lord we pulled in new WR talent that is capable of throwing the ball, then running down field to catch it solo.

/end sarcasm

I mightve been a little rough(Im just dry witted by nature and I dont mean to offend or call anyone out), but I just feel that way when people doubt JPW. I really want him to break out on the scene this year.

I think everyone has the desire for JPW to have a breakout season. I am not criticizing Wilson, quite the opposite actually...I think he is a good QB, but he is not a QB who is going to do for a team what Dameyune Craig did for Auburn, or what Pat White does for WVU...or Eli for Ole Miss. He needs a good supporting cast, and during our nosedive last season he did not have that. When we imploded against ULM, we could not get 1 yard on 4th down...it wasn't his fault, but he was not a threat to turn a busted play into a 50 yard scamper for a TD - and he does not have all of the throws in his arsenal that Croyle had - the Croyle to Hall throw that got us into position to beat UT in 05 would not have been made by Wilson. He lacks the arm to thread the needle in a split second...or at least he has never shown it.

Regardless, he is a good QB that with a supporting cast has the ability to win big (Toretta and Barker were that way). I feel like this could be his year to prove his doubters wrong. He just has to keep his head on his shoulders if he has to face adversity, and not force throws. That is my only knock on him - when he gets rattled, sometimes he loses his composure.

With a good surrounding cast and great coaching, Jay Barker won it all. Wilson could be that kind of QB...but he is not the kind of impact player of a David Palmer or Eli Manning.

Big_Fan said:
joeman546 said:

/end sarcasm

I think everyone has the desire for JPW to have a breakout season. I am not criticizing Wilson, quite the opposite actually...I think he is a good QB, but he is not a QB who is going to do for a team what Dameyune Craig did for Auburn, or what Pat White does for WVU...or Eli for Ole Miss. He needs a good supporting cast, and during our nosedive last season he did not have that. When we imploded against ULM, we could not get 1 yard on 4th down...it wasn't his fault, but he was not a threat to turn a busted play into a 50 yard scamper for a TD - and he does not have all of the throws in his arsenal that Croyle had - the Croyle to Hall throw that got us into position to beat UT in 05 would not have been made by Wilson. He lacks the arm to thread the needle in a split second...or at least he has never shown it.

Regardless, he is a good QB that with a supporting cast has the ability to win big (Toretta and Barker were that way). I feel like this could be his year to prove his doubters wrong. He just has to keep his head on his shoulders if he has to face adversity, and not force throws. That is my only knock on him - when he gets rattled, sometimes he loses his composure.

With a good surrounding cast and great coaching, Jay Barker won it all. Wilson could be that kind of QB...but he is not the kind of impact player of a David Palmer or Eli Manning.

Big_Fan is pretty accurate with his statements. JPW should be much better because of his surrounding players.

It's pretty obvious that JPW has great talent. The only question in my mind is can the coaching staff get the best play from him. I'm an optimist and I think (and hope) the answer is YES!

elbatider said:
Big_Fan said:
With a good surrounding cast and great coaching, Jay Barker won it all.

With the most awesome defensive group to ever put on the pads in Tuscaloosa, Jay Barker was a part of the team that won it all.

And with that you make my point. In his soph season, Barker was not asked to do more than he was capable of. Even as a Senior, he had a great surrounding cast and the offense had enough playmakers that defenses had to stay honest.

Big_Fan said:
joeman546 said:

/end sarcasm

Well, I can certainly agree with that, the past few years he hasnt been able to carry the team, although I do not realy blame him for that either.

Though, theres are QBs in the NFL that dont have his skill potential. He might not have the rocket arm, but he can be a solid/exceptional QB when the team is gelling together. He hasnt had that on a consistent basis, but I think this year has the potential for that more so than others and I think his indivual play will show that.

Well Coach Saban has already said he's our best chance to win. With that the nail biting and stomach churning begins. :shock:

Will a more stable situation give him more confidence and less ball handling mistakes? I sure hope so!

joeman546 said:

/end sarcasm

Ok I’ll be the devils advocate.

The facts are the reason he's got the records is because we pass twice as much we run therefore records will fall. With all these records crumbling at his feet, you would think that we would be winning, but as we all know we are not. I've heard the argument about JPW breaking all these records time and time again. I’ll take a J-Barker type of player who is nothing, but a winner over these record holders.

Not bashing the guy, but let’s face facts we’re not a running team. The stats don’t lie either. Last year his longest pass was 67 yards, his TD to INT was 18 td’s to 12 INT sacked 25 ****ing times. We didn’t even have a 1000 yard rusher last year, so of course he’s going to break some records, and why we got sacked 25 times. He has to be able to read the zone and find the open players. We have all seen him struggle to do this. He has to be able to read the blitz pick up change his blocking up front as well and call the play!

JPW is not a running threat nor does he have the Brodie type arm. If he can’t out run or out throw the coverage he has to be able to out think it a cerebral assassin of sorts. I truly hope he does, but given past history it’s hard to see.

Before you all jump on the Oline about the sacks the QB has to get rid of the ball about 3 to 5 seconds when the play is called. We’ve all seen him holding on the ball or trying to make a play only to be burned a few times. Other times the Line just sucked!

Flame on! :twisted:

We didn’t even have a 1000 yard rusher last year

I think Grant would have made it to the 1,000 yard mark if he would not have been hurt.

JPW is not a running threat nor does he have the Brodie type arm.

JP might not have the arm that Brodie did, but he has been able to scramble around to buy some time or pick up yards.

Last year his longest pass was 67 yards, his TD to INT was 18 td’s to 12 INT sacked 25 ****ing times.

I really believe that JP was thinking to much last year and could not recover very well from mistakes. After reading comments from practices and JP asking Rashad questions about his decisions, it looks like he is trying to step it up a level (he should as he is a senior).

Let us also give him some credit as he has had to learn another offense. Hopefully with this version, it will be QB friendly and build confidence with JP.

bama4life said:
We didn’t even have a 1000 yard rusher last year

I think Grant would have made it to the 1,000 yard mark if he would not have been hurt.

JPW is not a running threat nor does he have the Brodie type arm.

JP might not have the arm that Brodie did, but he has been able to scramble around to buy some time or pick up yards.

Last year his longest pass was 67 yards, his TD to INT was 18 td’s to 12 INT sacked 25 ****ing times.

I really believe that JP was thinking to much last year and could not recover very well from mistakes. After reading comments from practices and JP asking Rashad questions about his decisions, it looks like he is trying to step it up a level (he should as he is a senior).

Let us also give him some credit as he has had to learn another offense. Hopefully with this version, it will be QB friendly and build confidence with JP.

Like I stated before I was not bashing the player in any way. Just pointing out some things we all know and we "hope" will be addressed.

All the HYPE of the freshmen is great,but I could give a hill of beans. Until we have a running game the defense will play zone and make our QB beat them deep. I'll bet Clemson will do the same.

When I said running threat I meant a dual threat running as in a QB draw play. I'd be willing to any on this board can run like hell when they're being chased by hulking defensive linemen, or we'd try. :wink:

Optimus said:
joeman546 said:

/end sarcasm

Ok I’ll be the devils advocate.

The facts are the reason he's got the records is because we pass twice as much we run therefore records will fall. With all these records crumbling at his feet, you would think that we would be winning, but as we all know we are not. I've heard the argument about JPW breaking all these records time and time again. I’ll take a J-Barker type of player who is nothing, but a winner over these record holders.

Not bashing the guy, but let’s face facts we’re not a running team. The stats don’t lie either. Last year his longest pass was 67 yards, his TD to INT was 18 td’s to 12 INT sacked 25 ****ing times. We didn’t even have a 1000 yard rusher last year, so of course he’s going to break some records, and why we got sacked 25 times. He has to be able to read the zone and find the open players. We have all seen him struggle to do this. He has to be able to read the blitz pick up change his blocking up front as well and call the play!

JPW is not a running threat nor does he have the Brodie type arm. If he can’t out run or out throw the coverage he has to be able to out think it a cerebral assassin of sorts. I truly hope he does, but given past history it’s hard to see.

Before you all jump on the Oline about the sacks the QB has to get rid of the ball about 3 to 5 seconds when the play is called. We’ve all seen him holding on the ball or trying to make a play only to be burned a few times. Other times the Line just sucked!

Flame on! :twisted:

Just a few clarifications. We passed (472 attempts) less than we rushed (490) last year. Our rushing total for last year (1,940 yards on 490 attempts for a 4.0 ypc) was within two hundred yards either side of our last two successful seasons, those being our 10 win season in 2005 (1,710, 463 and 3.7) and our last SECC in '99 (2,145, 509 and 4.2). True, last year we didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher, but that was more a factor of injuries and Saban's tendency to spread the carries around. Our biggest problem, as it has been for several years, is that we couldn't run it when we had to, or when the other team expected it. Until we can impose our will at the line of scrimmage, we're left with little but regret.

Successful dual threat QBs have been scarce at Bama since The Wishbone departed. I'm sure I'm missing some, but Walter Lewis and Tyler Watts are the only two that immediately come to mind, and Watts was more of a plodding warrior than an explosive threat.

Saturday can't get here soon enough.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom