| FTBL John Hannah and what he learned from Coach Bryant

“I always in my mind wanted to be in the NFL,” John Hannah said. “I wanted to follow in my dad’s footsteps. I wanted to play in the NFL. And that was my goal all growing up: I wanted to be in the NFL. That was a target I shot for. I didn’t know if I could make it physically or talent-wise, but in my heart, I figured I could.

“Then coach (Paul ‘Bear’) Bryant taught me some lessons when I was at Alabama. The biggest lesson he taught me at Alabama was that it’s not always the guy with the talent that wins. It’s the guy with the most guts. He’ll stick it out and play hard all the way through the game. A lot of guys with talent will play tough for a quarter or two but take some breaks. When he takes those breaks, that’s the time to take care of him. And that was a huge lesson, and that’s what really kind of got me over the hump. I always figured there were a lot of guys more talented than me in the NFL, but I would outwork most of them.”

1626621160416.png

“I always in my mind wanted to be in the NFL,” John Hannah said. “I wanted to follow in my dad’s footsteps. I wanted to play in the NFL. And that was my goal all growing up: I wanted to be in the NFL. That was a target I shot for. I didn’t know if I could make it physically or talent-wise, but in my heart, I figured I could.

“Then coach (Paul ‘Bear’) Bryant taught me some lessons when I was at Alabama. The biggest lesson he taught me at Alabama was that it’s not always the guy with the talent that wins. It’s the guy with the most guts. He’ll stick it out and play hard all the way through the game. A lot of guys with talent will play tough for a quarter or two but take some breaks. When he takes those breaks, that’s the time to take care of him. And that was a huge lesson, and that’s what really kind of got me over the hump. I always figured there were a lot of guys more talented than me in the NFL, but I would outwork most of them.”

View attachment 18173
I was surprised learning of his lack of closeness with Coach Bryant and Hannah making a point to say Bear wasn’t the best head coach he played for in his career. You could feel a bit of animosity in his words.

View attachment 18173
“He came in the next day winding that watch, and he said, ‘Well, boys, you learned a big lesson yesterday. You’ll push yourself and push yourself. You think you’re going to die. But the human body’s an amazing machine. It’ll always pass out before it dies.’ And I remember that one.”

Classic Bryant!!!!

Back
Top Bottom