| FTBL Jimmy Barnes speaks

I'm not interested in ripping Jimmy. Hell, I don't know if I could make it through one week of CNS practices myself, so I'm certainly not trying to insult him. What does make me fume is the national media coming down on CNS and our program because of this, always looking for an excuse to tear us down. What do they think, USC practices are like origami classes? Coach Tressel lets his guys sip Mai Tai's and paint their toenails if they want? Phil Fulmer lets his boys try on pantyhose and pumps (that might be true)?

I couldn't believe my ears when the guys on Buck and Kincaid (680 TheFan in ATL) absolutely destroyed Barnes. They really ripped him and his dad a new one. I just naturally assumed they would tear into Alabama, yet they pleasantly surprised me. :)

TWBama said:
Jimmy Barnes is Ridiculous! His frickin problem is that his daddy sheltered him his entire high school career. Shula prolly did the same thing seeins how he Loves his quarterbacks and all. and now, when he finally gets a big boy coach, he can't cut it. Who needs him? Good riddens... Wuss

When he transferred schools, everyone respected his wishes and wished him the best of luck wherever he goes. Once he realized that no one gives a rats - about him leavin, he makes up some story about Saban abusin him. Buncha panises in my opinion...

And you are 15? Come back when you are shaving and talk about what men are experiencing.

RTR

Supergenius said:
And you are 15? Come back when you are shaving and talk about what men are experiencing.

RTR

For the record, I am shaving. And I know exactly what Barnes is going through. I know cuz I'm goin through the same thing on the high school level. I play for the Best Coach in the nation. He's also the biggest asshole in the nation too. He puts me through hell every practice. U think my daddy would let me quit? hell no! Wanna know real football, come find me, we'll talk. But Don't u dare think I don't know what I'm talkin about just cuz of my age. maybe this board just isn't welcome to my kind...

TWBama said:
Supergenius said:

RTR

For the record, I am shaving. And I know exactly what Barnes is going through. I know cuz I'm goin through the same thing on the high school level. I play for the Best Coach in the nation. He's also the biggest alpha-hole in the nation too. He puts me through hell every practice. U think my daddy would let me quit? hell no! Wanna know real football, come find me, we'll talk. But Don't u dare think I don't know what I'm talkin about just cuz of my age. maybe this board just isn't welcome to my kind...

He's just razzing you man, don't worry about it. :lol:

On the subject of Barnes...he just didn't have the stuff. I think the Saban abusing a player is bs, but basically who cares? Its not going to effect anything, or at least in my eyes. I personally think Jimmy never had a chance and I feel bad for him. In saying that...I wish him luck where ever he goes.

TWBama said:
Supergenius said:

RTR

For the record, I am shaving. And I know exactly what Barnes is going through. I know cuz I'm goin through the same thing on the high school level. I play for the Best Coach in the nation. He's also the biggest alpha-hole in the nation too. He puts me through hell every practice. U think my daddy would let me quit? hell no! Wanna know real football, come find me, we'll talk. But Don't u dare think I don't know what I'm talkin about just cuz of my age. maybe this board just isn't welcome to my kind...
My HS coach was a jerk too, but in a bad way, he was interested in riding his players coattails to the college level, he could have cared less about any of his players.

I have a state championship ring in football, and I can honestly say that you dont have to cuss or holler to be a good football coach, because coach Luker never said one cuss word. However, having said that, if I were a coach I would cuss players left and right, more or less to get their attention. Unless he said that Barnes was not worth a sh** and his parents were going to hell, I dont see the problem. Only parents in California can be neive enough to think that someone can walk thru college football without getting their feelings hurt. What a joke. :roll:

TWBama said:
Supergenius said:

RTR

That is not true, this board welcomes all! I was just stating my case and I have experienced more than I hope you ever see, that being said tough it out and get better.

RTR

My opinion....Barnes isn't saying this to the media, his Dad is. Furthermore, Daddy Barnes is tight with the Shula family. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I promise you, he is not helping his son's chances at a career in football (be it playing or coaching) by making these types of remarks. I suspect Jimmy saw the writing on the wall that he was not going to be a QB with playing time at Alabama, he called Dad and told him wanted to leave. His Dad asks him, "Why?" And he tells his Dad a number of reasons including "Saban is mean to me" to garner the support of his Dad in the transition. What kid in this world has not made remarks that were not really lies, but more only half truths in order to get what they want? The thing is...we can't hold this against the younger Barnes. It is his Dad who is making the remarks. I wish Jimmy the best.

RTR
BamaSon25

BamaSon25 said:
My opinion....Barnes isn't saying this to the media, his Dad is. Furthermore, Daddy Barnes is tight with the Shula family. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I promise you, he is not helping his son's chances at a career in football (be it playing or coaching) by making these types of remarks. I suspect Jimmy saw the writing on the wall that he was not going to be a QB with playing time at Alabama, he called Dad and told him wanted to leave. His Dad asks him, "Why?" And he tells his Dad a number of reasons including "Saban is mean to me" to garner the support of his Dad in the transition. What kid in this world has not made remarks that were not really lies, but more only half truths in order to get what they want? The thing is...we can't hold this against the younger Barnes. It is his Dad who is making the remarks. I wish Jimmy the best.

RTR
BamaSon25

I share your view of how this story developed. You've got a kid explaing to his Dad why he wants to quit. The kid's idea of an indignity could be lack of playing time, lack of consideration for playing time, or perhaps being relegated to scout team QB or placed somewhere south of Fanuzzi (is he on campus yet?) on the depth chart.

I wish them both the best. Remember, the article mentions the Dad refused to elaborate on the issue, and how he was disappointed his son was leaving Alabama. He was hunted down in California for a comment by an Alabama reporter, gave one, and then refused to elaborate. The reporter had his sound bite and wrote his article.

In picking up the story, the double standard by the national press is obvious. Charlie Weis runs down a QB in a public statement, the kid then decides to transfer. Because it's notre dame, there is no outrage against one of the more arrogant coaches in all of football. If Nick Saban had said, "Starting QB is undecided, but I can tell you it won't be Jimmy Barnes", he would have been crucified. Weis gets a pass.

There have been successful coaches who were quiet and demanding, and there have been successful coaches who were fiery and demanding. Some of both have been alapahahaholes. I've experienced enough to know that there are no absolutes, but the coaches who were toughest on me on the field and in the classroom loved me the most. Despite his legendary demands in practice, Coach Bryant's off-the-field actions also showed how much he loved his players.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
BamaSon25 said:

RTR
BamaSon25

I share your view of how this story developed. You've got a kid explaing to his Dad why he wants to quit. The kid's idea of an indignity could be lack of playing time, lack of consideration for playing time, or perhaps being relegated to scout team QB or placed somewhere south of Fanuzzi (is he on campus yet?) on the depth chart.

I wish them both the best. Remember, the article mentions the Dad refused to elaborate on the issue, and how he was disappointed his son was leaving Alabama. He was hunted down in California for a comment by an Alabama reporter, gave one, and then refused to elaborate. The reporter had his sound bite and wrote his article.

In picking up the story, the double standard by the national press is obvious. Charlie Weis runs down a QB in a public statement, the kid then decides to transfer. Because it's notre dame, there is no outrage against one of the more arrogant coaches in all of football. If Nick Saban had said, "Starting QB is undecided, but I can tell you it won't be Jimmy Barnes", he would have been crucified. Weis gets a pass.

There have been successful coaches who were quiet and demanding, and there have been successful coaches who were fiery and demanding. Some of both have been alapahahaholes. I've experienced enough to know that there are no absolutes, but the coaches who were toughest on me on the field and in the classroom loved me the most. Despite his legendary demands in practice, Coach Bryant's off-the-field actions also showed how much he loved his players.

Dang

Pretty deep stuff

So it's not Jimmy's fault, it's a combination of His, His dad's, and the reporter's fault. Right?

TWBama said:
Dang

Pretty deep stuff

So it's not Jimmy's fault, it's a combination of His, His dad's, and the reporter's fault. Right?

In this situation, I don't believe there is fault or blame to be assigned. The vilifications of Barnes as a pansy and malcontent appear (to me) ignorant and dismissive (We're talking about a kid who has gone through major knee surgery and rehab to get back into playing shape - hardly for the weak of heart). His Dad doesn't come off as a manipulative, press-seeking parent, and the reporter's doing his job.

Jimmy decided to transfer. I wish him the best. Dad loves and backs his son, but probably regrets his son's choice. The reporter is paid to dig for interesting angles to sell papers.

RTR,

Tim

porkchop said:
Outlaw said:
Sauce said:
THIS IS FOOTBALL!! Anyone who has ever played organized football knows that practices suck. My coach in high school used to grab me by the facemask and scream as loud as he could in my face. Afterwards, I had to wipe off the dip and spit that he sprayed in my face. This is what all coaches do, they intimidate and put you through hell to see what you are made of. Coach Bryant was asked about his tough practices in his first year back at Bama as a head coach, and he said: "My plan was to bleed 'em and gut 'em because I didn't want any well-wishers hanging around." As stated about coach Bryant by Bobby Drake Keith "What he wanted to see was a kid fight, to hang in there, to take what he dished out and come back for more. He wanted to see who wanted that uniform the most."

All coaches don't do that, no matter how much you think they do. I do think there is a little reaching by the reporter here as well. Let's all cool our engines a little bit and lay off. The Barnes (Jimmy especially) loved the University and loved Tuscaloosa. Obviously, there was a reason why Jimmy left. Whether it was PT (I personally liked his style, obviously a lot of people fell in the other group - mainly because of mobility issues) or that he didn't like the new style of CNS is not really a reason for you guys to bash him.

Then again, we still have people who bash XCMS and obviously have some kind of personal vendetta against him, so whatcha gonna do?

It's more common at the college and Pro level though to have a coach like that. Luckily I played for a pretty good one in HS, though I knew people that had coaches that put them through He** at their schools.

I'd say that's about right. I had a coach who didn't have to cuss and holler to get his point across. With that said, I'm not saying he didn't cuss and holler at all. :D

I guess there can be exceptions to that cuss and hollerin rule... I mean look @ Tony Dungy. He never let's a curse word cross his lips. He's... i don't know... somewhat successful?

It's official fans, Jimmy Barnes will play at Weber State next season, its a Big Sky conference doormat in Utah, I hope he doesn't get to confident that conference is known for having FBS drop downs fail, hope he can do some good though.

WSU........why...

Back
Top Bottom