| FTBL Jimmy Barnes leaving Crimson Tide

It was getting crowded, and once he realized he wasn't number two right now, the likelihood of him getting in the mix in the future was remote. I wish him well.

Anyone know what our current scholarship numbers are with the Spring recruiting class plus returning players? How many above 85 are we currently?

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
Anyone know what our current scholarship numbers are with the Spring recruiting class plus returning players? How many above 85 are we currently?

A couple weeks back I tried to figure this out. Since we don't know for sure what Saban is going to do with players like Matt Collins and Jamie Christensen (walk-ons who were later awarded scholarships) it is hard to get an exact number. Will Saban pull those scholarships? What will he do with Prothro's? Also, will there be any other academic casualties other than Murphy and Ricks? Counting Collins, Christensen, and Prothro, but then subtracting Murphy, Ricks, and Barnes... I think that puts us at 89 or 90 (that includes '07 "grayshirt: signees).

When it is all said and done, I think BAMA will get back to 85 easily though a little more attrition (and with the possibility that 1 or 2 more signees might not qualify). Worst case scenario, guys like Crump and Vlachos end up having to grayshirt.

As far as looking ahead, as of now, I think we have 16 SR's on scholarship.

It could be that Barnes is / was made aware that there is another highly touted QB coming in. I would tend to think that is the most likely scenario. Saban liked Barnes and his decision making. He even went as far as to say that he would be a helluva head coach one day. If there is a silent commit, (which I believe there is) that would have been enough to force Barnes into this decision.

RTR
BamaSon25

BamaSon25 said:
It could be that Barnes is / was made aware that there is another highly touted QB coming in. I would tend to think that is the most likely scenario. Saban liked Barnes and his decision making. He even went as far as to say that he would be a helluva head coach one day. If there is a silent commit, (which I believe there is) that would have been enough to force Barnes into this decision.
...this is an interesting thing!. :roll:

RTR

firestorm said:
BamaSon25 said:

RTR

I don't understand the "rolling of the eyes" thing? In any case, maybe somebody like the Pryor kid from PA. Here are a few quotes that he has had about us:

"I'm able to focus more now on each school individually and see about their depth chart and where I fit in for the long run in their future plans. I'll be able to tell who has been honest with me so far and who hasn't," Pryor said. "I want to make sure that the school I go to is cool with me playing both sports and that they plan to use me at quarterback. I don't want to move to another position. I'm set on quarterback.

"I'm not worried about staying close to home. In fact, I want to get out and see new things and meet new people. That is what college is about. I'm planning on taking some unofficial visits and camping at a few schools this year. That would give me a good chance to work with the quarterback coach and see how we mesh."

During the evaluation period Alabama stopped by to watch Pryor practice and the Tide ended up making his initial cut.

"Coach Saban and Coach (Curt) Cignetti came through to see me. They offered me early so I knew they were interested already," Pryor said. "I like both of them. I've talked to Coach Saban on the phone and he was honest. He told me that it was a good situation for me at Alabama because I could come in and redshirt for a year and then John Parker Wilson will be gone and I would have a chance to compete for playing time. He said that all of his quarterbacks would have a chance to earn the starting job and I thought that sounded good.

"I've gotten to know coach Cig pretty well. I have a good feeling about him and so far he's been direct and honest with me."

RTR
BamaSon25

Personally, I’m very disappointed by this. I really liked what I saw from Barnes in the FIU game and I wasn’t on pins and needles worried about Wilson getting hurt knowing that Barnes was there. I can’t say that I’m all that high on McElroy cause I haven’t seen him prove himself in a game situation. I personally think a QB depth chart of JR, RS FR, True FR is a very scary thing.

BamaSon25 said:
I don't understand the "rolling of the eyes" thing?

Only I felt intrigued with your post... don't worry!

BamaSon25 said:
In any case, maybe somebody like the Pryor kid from PA. Here are a few quotes that he has had about us:

"I'm able to focus more now on each school individually and see about their depth chart and where I fit in for the long run in their future plans. I'll be able to tell who has been honest with me so far and who hasn't," Pryor said. "I want to make sure that the school I go to is cool with me playing both sports and that they plan to use me at quarterback. I don't want to move to another position. I'm set on quarterback.

"I'm not worried about staying close to home. In fact, I want to get out and see new things and meet new people. That is what college is about. I'm planning on taking some unofficial visits and camping at a few schools this year. That would give me a good chance to work with the quarterback coach and see how we mesh."

During the evaluation period Alabama stopped by to watch Pryor practice and the Tide ended up making his initial cut.

"Coach Saban and Coach (Curt) Cignetti came through to see me. They offered me early so I knew they were interested already," Pryor said. "I like both of them. I've talked to Coach Saban on the phone and he was honest. He told me that it was a good situation for me at Alabama because I could come in and redshirt for a year and then John Parker Wilson will be gone and I would have a chance to compete for playing time. He said that all of his quarterbacks would have a chance to earn the starting job and I thought that sounded good.

"I've gotten to know coach Cig pretty well. I have a good feeling about him and so far he's been direct and honest with me."
Thanks for the reading... Seems Pryor is in the mold of JaMarcus Russell (commited by Saban at LSU)... Surely, Coach Saban will do all the possible things to land him, but I think he's unreachable for us at this moment...

RTR

BamaSon25 said:
firestorm said:
BamaSon25 said:

RTR

I don't understand the "rolling of the eyes" thing? In any case, maybe somebody like the Pryor kid from PA. Here are a few quotes that he has had about us:

RTR
BamaSon25

It's so early in the process though it's hard to really know what will happen in the end. I guess it's possible Saban talked Barnes into transferring so that he could clear some space for someone like Pryor. But doing that would also be like playing Russian Roulette. On the other hand Barnes may have just decided that a change of scenery was the best thing for him.

But either way, it's just too early to tell with Pryor. I don't pay too much attention to the quotes personally until it gets closer to signing day. While I'm glad Pryor seems interested I'm not giddy about it at this point in the process.

I've seen Pryor play, I gotta say that I'm not all that impressed with him. His size is nice, but his decisions aren't all that great. But the word around here is that he's Ohio States to lose.

I can see how he would be highly sought after, he is a great athlete, but as a QB it'll take a lot, and I mean a lot to get him ready for the SEC. Plus Jeannette plays in a pretty soft section, so his competition isn't all that great.

One local guy (for me anyway) that I'm really excited to see on our radar is Jonathin Baldwin a TE, see him here -- http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=45293&Sport=1 -- this guy is the real deal, he is awesome to see in person, great hands, great athlete. Would be nice to see him in crimson.

Gotta say it's really cool to see Bama recruiting up here in my neck of the woods. PA produces some excellent players.

Back
Top Bottom