| FTBL It's the topic of the day. Let's address it.

• Thread starter imported_porkchop
  • Start date

Should Shula/BAMA let a proven OC call the plays?

• Shula's doing just fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's an OC?

• As long as the new OC doesn't feature the JUMBO package

• We just have to execute better

• Total voters
I

imported_porkchop

Should Shula/BAMA let a proven OC call the plays and worry about strategy or are things fine the way they are?

Be honest. Submit your vote and your thoughts on the matter.

uh-huh!
stupid.gif
(j/k)

They need to be more cut-throat. Too much conservatism when we get ahead. Trying to run out the clock with running plays when there is 5 minutes left and we hadn't been sucsessfull doing them anyway.

In the last 2 games, with good execution BAMA would have won both comfortably, but yes, IMHO, I'd like to see Shula hand over the reins to another OC (Rader).

lol on "We just have to execute better." One might say that execution on offense offers "a tremendous challenge, and an opportunity." Gotta love coachspeak. :lol:

At some point, it's crazy to keep on doing the same stuff and expecting different results.

The offense is way too vanilla. We don't surprise anyone. Although, I did see a few pitch backs to Darby early. I didn't see the second half, but from the score it couldn't have been too good.

Birdman37 said:
and u realise Shula is a proven OC himself right?

Shula was OC at Tampa Bay from 1996 to 1999. Following the 1999 NFC Championship Game, Shula was fired as Offensive Coordinator after the Bucs finished no higher than 22nd in total offense during his tenure.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's what Porkchop meant by "proven".

Not sure what is going on.

1. Is it the coaching staff?
2. Is it the players attitude toward Vandy?
3. Is it the lack of talented players?

Something is not working. Just don't know. Major improvements are needed on off, def and spec teams.

Bama went in reverse today. Not a good way to go. We were very LUCKY against Vandy.

bamaisone said:

Something is not working. Just don't know. Major improvements are needed on off, def and spec teams.

Bama went in reverse today. Not a good way to go. We were very LUCKY against Vandy.

i want u to sit here and explain to me every thing that went so wrong for Bama saturday (BESIDES the two fumbles). i assure u wont find much. the coaching staff cannot keep the backs from layin it on the turf.

Before 'Bama shot theirselfs in the foot, our play calls still were aweful.

I like how we move the ball, but not executing is killing us. I would of loved to see more deep passes. There was only 1-3 plays that were intended to be 20 + yard plays. The play calls are too conservative for SEC play.

I think all they have to do is mix it up. We have all that we need to be a great team, and Im not saying we arn't anyway. If CMS just mixes it up a little better(Actually alot MORE), we would not be sitting here wondering why we beat Vanderbilt by only 3 points :evil: .

I just got off the phone with CMS. He laments calling those 2 fumbles and the interception. He really thought that turning the ball over in those situations was the best thing to do. He said he is committed to doing better next week.

RTR

Okay, I just cast my vote on the matter and I think that there are a number of things wrong with the offense but they are things that are fixable. This isn't a no win situation. The staff just needs to tweak some things to be more successful in my humble opinion.

Is it the play calling or is it execution? I think some of both. Obviously BAMA shot themselves in the foot a number of times yesterday when in the red zone. You can't blame the coaches for fumbles, but you can blame them for being unimaginative and setting the offense up for failure by calling the same play from the same set with the same personnel on a given situation.

Let me ask this question; Is it good offensive philosophy when the opposing defense knows the play before it is run? I mean, if we know the play that is coming you can bet that opposing coordinators know the play as well. We only observe from the sidelines or the television screen while coordinators are paid to examine these things.

I have to think that it is bad offense to line your team up in the jumbo package and run the same dive play to Tim Castille on each and every third and short or goalline situation. Without variation you can execute till the cows come home and never achieve full success because the opposition already knows what you're going to do before you do it.

IMHO the play calling needs to be a lot more imaginative to keep opposing defenses off balance. Shula would do well to turn over these duties to the OC and concentrate more on being a head coach.

Birdman37 said:
bamaisone said:

i want u to sit here and explain to me every thing that went so wrong for Bama saturday (BESIDES the two fumbles). i assure u wont find much. the coaching staff cannot keep the backs from layin it on the turf.

I will be glad to point out one major factor for you.... Our run blocking SUCKS!!!

That has largely been attributed to the staff as well over the last several years and the blocking schemes they use. Since Shula has taken over we've never been the type of OLine to manhandle defenses and move the LOS forward. We're doing that hing blocking crap stuff they use in the NFL.

Personally I would rather see a more physical line.

I'm actually naive enough to think that the staff is holding back a little and experimenting a lot while playing these weaker teams -- almost like preseason NFL games. When the meat of the schedule arrives, I'm thinking that maybe they'll open things up a little based on what they've learned.

Takeaway the overturned calls from the HI game and the red zone miscues in the Vandy game and both games are pretty close to being blowout wins.

We're 2-0 and, let's face it, at no point were we ever in jeopardy of losing either one of these games. I think CMS and staff are looking a little bit further down the road than the rest of us.

Why give the Arky, Florida, TN, LSU and the barn any more valuable scouting material than you have to?

Too many turnovers - so I voted "We just have to execute better."

No offense is going to look good being that sloppy with the ball. I also tend to believe Vandy is a much better team than when we used to see them on a regular basis.

And yes, we still have work to do.

I'm not exactly brimming with confidence after this game, but I'm also of the opinion that this team will get a lot better as the season goes along. How good that will end up being is anyone's guess.

At this point I'm more worried about the defense. At times they looked like they just couldn't stop Vandy period unless the Dores made a mistake. That doesn't bode too well down the road with proven offenses like LSU and Auburn.

RTR

Reger you hit the nail on the head, use these first three games as pre-season. Get the nerves and miscues out of the way and don't give opponents down the road film to really figure us out. Also control the ball I can't find time of possession for the Vandy game but we had 69 plays compared to 45 for vandy. It is this simple CMS didn't fumble the ball yesterday(BUT HE PUT IN THE JUMBO PACKAGE) i'm sure some of you are screaming. Let CMS get some more games under his belt this season before you throw him under the bus, yes he has a conservative approach to the offense but I think he has the right Idea. By the way he did call a fake field goal albeit unsuccessful it will have defenses wondering in the upcoming games, Just sit back and enjoy either way we will have a very exciting season ahead of us. RTR

I think CMS has his offence set around Darby having big plays and 100+ yards a game. When this did not happen the last couple of games, there was not a great back-up plan and they kept running the same plays. Just like last year when Pro went down. IMHO Bama needs to mix it up more where more than one star player in depended on to score touchdowns.

Back
Top Bottom