| OT It's Thanksgiving's football ... and you don't get CBS because of fighting with DISH.

TerryP

Staff
Nearly 4 million Dish Network subscribers in 18 cities, including Los Angeles, have lost access to their local CBS television station — just two days before Thanksgiving, when many Americans want to watch NFL football.

The blackout comes amid a contentious fee dispute between satellite TV provider Dish Network and CBS Corp., which owns the television stations. Customers in New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, Denver and other markets also were hit by the blackout, which in addition to the local stations includes three CBS cable channels: CBS Sports Network, Smithsonian Channel and Pop.

Dish has nearly 400,000 subscriber homes in the greater Los Angeles area.

“Dish subscribers are in jeopardy of being without CBS over the Thanksgiving holiday, which would mean they would miss CBS Sports’ NFL and SEC football coverage,” CBS said in a statement.
In Dallas, on Thanksgiving, and you can't watch the Cowboys? And if you were a Bama or Auburn fan?

Millions of Dish customers lose CBS signals, face Thanksgiving without networks football

Nearly 4 million Dish Network subscribers in 18 cities, including Los Angeles, have lost access to their local CBS television station — just two days before Thanksgiving, when many Americans want to watch NFL football.

The blackout comes amid a contentious fee dispute between satellite TV provider Dish Network and CBS Corp., which owns the television stations. Customers in New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, Denver and other markets also were hit by the blackout, which in addition to the local stations includes three CBS cable channels: CBS Sports Network, Smithsonian Channel and Pop.

Dish has nearly 400,000 subscriber homes in the greater Los Angeles area.

“Dish subscribers are in jeopardy of being without CBS over the Thanksgiving holiday, which would mean they would miss CBS Sports’ NFL and SEC football coverage,” CBS said in a statement.
In Dallas, on Thanksgiving, and you can't watch the Cowboys? And if you were a Bama or Auburn fan?

Millions of Dish customers lose CBS signals, face Thanksgiving without networks football

Any self-respecting fan should always have a plan B. Years ago, I went outside antenna and preamp out of Columbus, GA. I get over 20 stations and all my national broadcast channels as well and all true HD quality. It's kinda crazy that a lot of folks have legitimate options that they just haven't considered the possibilities. I know I was tired of being held hostage by big business and started thinking outside the box.

Any self-respecting fan should always have a plan B. Years ago, I went outside antenna and preamp out of Columbus, GA. I get over 20 stations and all my national broadcast channels as well and all true HD quality. It's kinda crazy that a lot of folks have legitimate options that they just haven't considered the possibilities. I know I was tired of being held hostage by big business and started thinking outside the box.

We have Direct TV, ROKU box, Chromecast, and a homemade HDTV antenna that pulls in stations from all over. We live on Mobile Bay and I can point the antenna toward New Orleans and pickup stations there. Our house is 16 feet off the ground and the antenna is in the attic of our two story home. The digital picture quality is amazing. During a rain storm the Direct TV will go out and we can either watch the local channels or watch anything you want on ROKU. Here is a link to a home made antenna that works better than any thing you can buy. This is what I have in the attic. We get about 30 or 40 channels.

We have Direct TV, ROKU box, Chromecast, and a homemade HDTV antenna that pulls in stations from all over. We live on Mobile Bay and I can point the antenna toward New Orleans and pickup stations there. Our house is 16 feet off the ground and the antenna is in the attic of our two story home. The digital picture quality is amazing. During a rain storm the Direct TV will go out and we can either watch the local channels or watch anything you want on ROKU. Here is a link to a home made antenna that works better than any thing you can buy. This is what I have in the attic. We get about 30 or 40 channels.

You did a good job with your antenna. I actually built one of those a few years back and even though I put it inside my house and I'm about 40 miles from the broadcasting towers I was able to pull in a few of the stations available with a great signal. When I got an outdoor antenna and preamp I was able to get everything out there. We have trees and hills around these parts and a few TV towers have very poor signals.

I get sling TV now with a good cable internet service and that takes care of all my sports channel needs and my trusty TV antenna does the rest. Thanks for sharing, that was a cool idea.

It's not the point of having option number two. It's the point of paying for a provider who gets into a spat over prices and your the one dealing with it this weekend.

I wouldn't fall victim. I would be pretty ticked off.

Quoted from article below, which is BS. From 8 blackouts in 2010 to 212+ blackouts in 2017. Luckily for customers, they've had time to get an antenna either via Dish or on their own and solve this.

"Already this year, there have been 212 programming blackouts on various pay-TV systems — more than double the number from last year, according to the American Television Alliance, a Washington-based group that represents cable and satellite TV providers. That’s a dramatic rise from 2010, when there were just eight blackouts."

It's not the point of having option number two. It's the point of paying for a provider who gets into a spat over prices and your the one dealing with it this weekend.

I wouldn't fall victim. I would be pretty ticked off.

But that's when they pull this stuff when it matters most, and the consumer is the one threatened with doing without. If you stay on script, the local folks expect you to be calling your service provider and threaten their firstborn.

For my money @RollllTide! has the better idea.

But that's when they pull this stuff when it matters most, and the consumer is the one threatened with doing without. If you stay on script, the local folks expect you to be calling your service provider and threaten their firstborn.

For my money @RollllTide! has the better idea.

Have direct.....havent really lost a majr game....yet...
But these corporate people,.....just like our reps in congress...dont give a shit about the people/country.... its profits/party/themselves etc

How you like the WTVM TV 3 commercial about the Iron Bowl! Me not to much!

Hey when these news shows come on and it show that campus, you know !
This is how the Ad go, PBP, Coach Bryant record breaking, k6, Saban sorcerer. That about it.

Yeah, I know. Their NBC affiliate called themselves "war eagle" newscast, something like that. I used to enjoy Josh Pate and Jonathan Rivers do their nightly "football down south" show on the CW side of their station. Josh, was always callin Bama the gold standard and Rivers liked Georgia. It was a pretty good SEC show for the market they were in and the fact that both of them were young. But for specific football info they were far and away better than the ESPN propaganda.

Yeah, I know. Their NBC affiliate called themselves "war eagle" newscast, something like that. I used to enjoy Josh Pate and Jonathan Rivers do their nightly "football down south" show on the CW side of their station. Josh, was always callin Bama the gold standard and Rivers liked Georgia. It was a pretty good SEC show for the market they were in and the fact that both of them were young. But for specific football info they were far and away better than the ESPN propaganda.
The CW 38 is now Bama/Ga Station. This is where I watch the Nick Saban Show on Sunday night. It funny I live in Bama but because of the FCC , the market of Randolph County I live in is Atlanta market. Been trying to chance this for I think like 30 years. Cleburne County is too. Anyway I do the outside antenna thing and live high enough that I get good channels.

The CW 38 is now Bama/Ga Station. This is where I watch the Nick Saban Show on Sunday night. It funny I live in Bama but because of the FCC , the market of Randolph County I live in is Atlanta market. Been trying to chance this for I think like 30 years. Cleburne County is too. Anyway I do the outside antenna thing and live high enough that I get good channels.
All these cable/dish/networks/ are loosing subscribers because of the internet. Slingbox has been mentioned here and the ROKU/AppleTV/ChromeCast and if you keep searching on the internet you can even find a lot of games on youtube. Some are illegal uploads, but it doesn't matter when you are paying for a network and they start slamming you. They are making creative thieves out of us country boys without choices. Really I watch stuff on ROKU way more than directv. My wife watches FOX news and the cooking channels exclusively on her TV but she is old school and will not go the internet route.

I have not paid for anything on ROKU but you can buy channels if you are too lazy to do searches and find stuff. Over 500 channels are available and they add more each month. I can't even spend the time trying to surf for channels. A lot of them are stupid, but they do have sports channels from colleges that have games that are live.

I have Dish and no issue with CBS. I dont think it affects most of us down here.

I really don't blame Dish on this oddly enough. All cable networks are losing viewers for the most part and I think I read CBS viewers have been down like 30 percent the last view years, yet they still wont MORE money than they were getting on their previous agreement. Dish is trying to not raise prices on customers but if they keep shelling out more money for networks that are losing viewers, doesn't really help that. They're all greedy though.

With that said, you can get an HD antenna for like $10 at this point. So, shouldn't be a big deal for anyone.

With that said, you can get an HD antenna for like $10 at this point. So, shouldn't be a big deal for anyone.
I've a few friends who've chosen to go that way. Horrible signal when the slightest inclimate weather is in the area.
I have Dish and no issue with CBS. I dont think it affects most of us down here.
I don't have Dish, or Direct TV. But, I think I'm in one of the unique positions here. Off the top of my head I've got the option of those two satellite providers, Comcast, WOW, and Verizon. I think Charter is available here now and there's been work Spectrum is coming at the first of next year.

Personally, I switch companies every two years and have been around $100 for...geez, six years now? (Cable and Internet.)

I have an outside antenna and it works great for the local stuff out of Huntsville, 50 miles away. My internet supplier is Spectrum, formerly Charter, and when I dropped the TV service they raised the internet price so much it was / is cheaper to subscribe to the TV package as well. The internet in our rural area via Spectrum cable is fantastic and except for satellite is the only option available. I went with Sling just long enough for Spectrum to offer me one of those "we want you back" deals. Usually lock in that price for 2 years and then repeat.

Back
Top Bottom