| CURRENT EVENTS It's late, but at least the question is being asked. NATO's expansion towards Russia.

Well, the guy asking the questions to Kirby is dead right. I can not stand Kirby and his stumbling. I am no fan of Putin, but Nato is and purposely have been surrounding them. I dont blame the countries for getting away from Russian influence, but one has to admit if Russia allied with lets say Cuba.... I digress.

I'd certainly agree foreign policy has changed over the last two decades. I've jumped in conversations about social issues but rarely foreign policy.
I thought so. I've been a member long enough on this site that I remember when my avatar and signature used to offend many, not to mention my passionate anti-war, anti-imperial stances. I asked because I don't remember you being as outspoken or opinionated politically as others, but when you would chime in, you'd usually support the status quo foreign policy at the time, like most people in the early years of the War on Terror.

I've been a member long enough on this site that I remember when my avatar and signature used to offend many, not to mention my passionate anti-war, anti-imperial stances.
V-for-Vendetta-5-Differences-Between-Comic-Movie.jpg

I asked because I don't remember you being as outspoken or opinionated politically as others, but when you would chime in, you'd usually support the status quo foreign policy at the time, like most people in the early years of the War on Terror.
The "War on Terror" is a book with a lot of different chapters. My opinion on one doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion on another. When I consider the age/time I started having opinions on foreign policy ... I suppose chapter one starts with the Iran hostages.

Status quo, eh? How so?

I suppose chapter one starts with the Iran hostages.
If that's chapter one, then I suppose the Preface is Operation Ajax. ;)

Status quo, eh? How so?

Most everyone remained too shocked and scared from the attacks of 9/11, the lesser ensuing scares like the anthrax attacks, and the endless propaganda such as the color-coded terror threat meters, etc. Being outspokenly skeptical of the official narrative was difficult in those years. Heck I was only able to express my doubts online, save for my closest family and friends. I'm reminded of how similar conditions have been with Covid and the jab. My point is, I remember only a few people ever agreeing with me politically back then. You weren't as vocal as others about current affairs, but you certainly didn't come to my aid either haha. So I'm assuming you either tried to focus on football related content for the site or you supported the Bush Administration, albeit perhaps not as enthusiastically as others on the board. Is that a fair generalization of you?

Most everyone remained too shocked and scared from the attacks of 9/11, the lesser ensuing scares like the anthrax attacks, and the endless propaganda such as the color-coded terror threat meters, etc. Being outspokenly skeptical of the official narrative was difficult in those years. Heck I was only able to express my doubts online, save for my closest family and friends. I'm reminded of how similar conditions have been with Covid and the jab. My point is, I remember only a few people ever agreeing with me politically back then. You weren't as vocal as others about current affairs, but you certainly didn't come to my aid either haha. So I'm assuming you either tried to focus on football related content for the site or you supported the Bush Administration, albeit perhaps not as enthusiastically as others on the board. Is that a fair generalization of you?
My first reaction to 9/11 was a knee jerk reaction. I was out biking and had stopped by a pawn shop just to see what was there. I saw the second plane video and the first words out of my mouth were "they need to be bombing someone."

A couple of days later I was in an argument with myself, debating language: "is this retaliation or retribution?" I came to the conclusion it was both. Admittedly, I was okay with the retribution motive until ...

A key part of retribution? A vengeful response to a criminal act. Now, a few weeks following 9/11 I'm hung up on "vengeance."

<Here's where @ElephantStomp would label me as a far-right extremist ..."quotin' the Bible" Stomp, this is also why I said it's an individual thing with scriptures, not a group identity.>​

Vengeance is mine, I will repay.

I don't take that literally any more than I take "turn the other cheek" literally. But my interpretation of that verse years earlier led me to where I landed on the military action and political policy.

I see the lesson being taught in that verse as one involving how you react. It's not saying "don't react," but cautioning to be careful before you act: think about it for a minute.

11/11. Now I am pessimistic about decisions being made through the lenses of vengeance. By the time we saw boots on the ground, when we saw congressional action with the Patriot Act, at that point I'm of the opinion the country needed to be in full reverse. "We need to get the hell out of there."

January, 2002. I wouldn't say I'm part of the status quo.

You mention "focus on football related." Remember, that was 2002. I spent 95% of the time on the football board, not non-sports. And, if you'll recall, it wasn't here.

My point is, I remember only a few people ever agreeing with me politically back then. You weren't as vocal as others about current affairs, but you certainly didn't come to my aid either haha.
Context:

I can't call it the birth, but the "gotcha" phase of social media communities was getting its legs back then. You're a dystopian fan. Now combine that with voicing your opinions? You could have read the room. No. You read the room and took it a step farther when people couldn't read your posts without seeing the Guy Fawkes mask.

It's not a lot different today. I can imagine quoting Isaac Asimov and seeing Onomastically based reactions. I think that's the word I'm looking for here. Onomatology is a thing. Some would recognize the name and think, "atheist." He's self proclaimed. I appreciate his views on anti-intellectualism. Those views remind me of Bonhoeffer's theory of stupidity.

If I referenced either of those two, today, some would take affront.

Back
Top Bottom