| FTBL It looks like Alabama's game with Austin Peay with be streaming ONLY.

...except no Doug Layton and John Forney.....and Jerry Duncan on the sideline.

When we'd have the lead, Bryant would play many players and give the first string a blow. But whenever the opposing team would threaten to score Bryant would send the first string defense in when they got too close.

John Forney: "...and here comes the Redwood Forest"
Awesome remembrance

Last I checked, Saban runs the program - not individual players. BTW, Marlon Humphrey red shirted his first year, played two and left early for the NFL.
I don't get your point.... you have 5 years to play 4... redshirt is a term the media uses. It's not like anyone "applies" for a redshirt. My point was that I doubt that he would be in our program for 5 years so there is not really any need to worry about playing enough games this year for it to count against his 4.

Let's put it this way.... does it matter if he leaves our program for the NFL after 3 years as a rSo or a Jr ? or for that matter after 4 years as a rJR or a SR... cause I don't think he'll ever be a 5th year rSR unless there is injury involved.

I don't get your point.... you have 5 years to play 4... redshirt is a term the media uses. It's not like anyone "applies" for a redshirt. My point was that I doubt that he would be in our program for 5 years so there is not really any need to worry about playing enough games this year for it to count against his 4.

Let's put it this way.... does it matter if he leaves our program for the NFL after 3 years as a rSo or a Jr ? or for that matter after 4 years as a rJR or a SR... cause I don't think he'll ever be a 5th year rSR unless there is injury involved.
Saban determines who is redshirted based on many factors. The decision to leave is also based on many factors. Several players have stuck around for a final year to improve their draft status - and it worked.

Saban determines who is redshirted based on many factors. The decision to leave is also based on many factors. Several players have stuck around for a final year to improve their draft status - and it worked.
There is no such thing as a redshirt in the eyes of the NCAA. It's a media term only....

Saban decides if a player plays in enough games that it counts toward a players 4 years of eligibility which isn't something I'm arguing. My point again, it won't really matter if it counts to his eligibility if the player doesn't stay for 5 years... which Saban doesn't control. With this particular player, I wouldn't expect him to be on the team for 5 years if there isn't an injury... He'll either go to the NFL after 3 or 4 years or he'll transfer for playing time if he's not the starter.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a redshirt in the eyes of the NCAA. It's a media term only....

Saban decides if a player plays in enough games that it counts toward a players 4 years of eligibility which isn't something I'm arguing. My point again, it won't really matter if it counts to his eligibility if the player doesn't stay for 5 years... which Saban doesn't control. With this particular player, I wouldn't expect him to be on the team for 5 years if there isn't an injury... He'll either go to the NFL after 3 or 4 years or he'll transfer for playing time if he's not the starter.
Redshirt is used throughout the NCAA website

NCAA.org - Official Athletics Website

And yet not a single time in the bylaws. It’s a media term only… BTW, did you read the site? From your link... NCAA terms.

What a "redshirt" season really is?​

"Redshirt" is not an official NCAA term.

Listen, it's 5 years to play 4 always has been. Redshirt, Blueshiirt, Greyshirt are all terms used by media to help differentiate different eligibility status. But I get it and I'm being nit picky on that term... so you can just ignore me on that issue.

So, to be clear...
  1. No person applies for a redshirt... you just have 5 years to play 4. It just is what it is.
  2. Saban and staff will decide who plays when....
  3. A "Redshirt" only matters if a player expects to be on the team for 5 years.
  4. Barring any injury, Ty Simpson isn't expected to be on this team for 5 years... hence it shouldn't matter if he "Redshirts" this year or not.
Listen, this isn't a hard thing to comprehend. Either Ty wins the starting role next year or Milroe will. If Ty wins the starting role next year, he won't be the starter for the next 4 years... he'll start 2/3 years and turn pro. If Milroe wins the starting role next year, Ty most likely would stick around another year to see if he could win the starting role or if Milroe goes pro, but I don't see him sticking around after that to see what happens if he is not the starter.

To be blunt, if Ty is in the Alabama program for 5 years.. he isn't the QB he is expected/thought to be...

Last edited:
And yet not a single time in the bylaws. Bylaws control the actions of members (schools), not the athletes

1. No person applies for a redshirt... you just have 5 years to play 4. It just is what it is. I never said anybody applies for a redshirt
  2. Saban and staff will decide who plays when.... Agreed
  3. A "Redshirt" only matters if a player expects to be on the team for 5 years. Or needs time for development
  4. Barring any injury, Ty Simpson isn't expected to be on this team for 5 years... hence it shouldn't matter if he "Redshirts" this year or not. Sometimes redshirting is a guard against the future. Alabama’s recruiting is at a point where fifth-year players are rare.

Back
Top Bottom