| FTBL Interview with Stallings and Dye you must listen to...

StuckNMS said:
Coach Stallings is my hero

I know it's almost unthinkable to say, but he's my Bear Bryant. The thing is, Bryant died when I was fairly young. I think I was 11 or so. So I didn't know him like I would have if I were older. Yeah I respect Bryant and everything he accomplished, but Stallings was the man when I was an older kid playing HS football. I relate to Stallings more.

He's my favorite all-time BAMA coach. Love the guy, and everything he brought to the university.

It Takes Eleven said:
Dye whining about how tough his schedule was, and then Stallings putting the wood to him about it, was hilarious. The killer was near the beginning, when Finebaum asked if called would they recommend Diddy's boy for the WV job:

Dye: "No."
Stallings: "That call will never be placed."

RTR,

Tim

Definately not a big TB supporters! Good suggestion about putting down the coffee prior to listening!

Perhaps I should wait, but does anyone else find it rediculous that Dye is trying to lecture Stallings about defense? When CGS was talking about teams not rushinig the QB, and Dye starts bringing up the option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Pat Dye ever coached one of the best college defenses of all time.

shipley00 said:
Perhaps I should wait, but does anyone else find it rediculous that Dye is trying to lecture Stallings about defense? When CGS was talking about teams not rushinig the QB, and Dye starts bringing up the option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Pat Dye ever coached one of the best college defenses of all time.

Dye was no slouch on the defensive side by any means. :wink:

Lenny Kozlowski said:
shipley00 said:

Dye was no slouch on the defensive side by any means. :wink:

They were both hardnosed, defensive minded coaches. Another statement in there by Stallings I chuckled about was when he said you've got to pressure the QB on a passing team, and that he would never rush just three. There were times against Miami where they rushed three, perhaps a time or two when they rushed TWO, but when two of the three were Curry and Copeland you still got pressure.

That '92 defense was incredible.

RTR,

Tim

porkchop said:
StuckNMS said:

I know it's almost unthinkable to say, but he's my Bear Bryant. The thing is, Bryant died when I was fairly young. I think I was 11 or so. So I didn't know him like I would have if I were older. Yeah I respect Bryant and everything he accomplished, but Stallings was the man when I was an older kid playing HS football. I relate to Stallings more.

He's my favorite all-time BAMA coach. Love the guy, and everything he brought to the university.

You're not alone Chop. I was thinking the same thing just before I read your post. Sure, Coach Bryant won 6 NC to Stalling's 1, but the Bear seems to be more a man of mythology to so many. Stalling is a man among us. Despite being human, he his my hero as well.

I saw Stallings speak at MSU coaching clinic a couple years back and he was great. Probably the best I have heard. He just stood up there and talked for about a hour with no notes or cards or anything, just talking football.

porkchop said:
StuckNMS said:

How do you think us late teen/early 20's guys feel? I was 8 when we won the National Title. :(

Outlaw said:
porkchop said:
StuckNMS said:

How do you think us late teen/early 20's guys feel? I was 8 when we won the National Title. :(

Yeah, sadly I was 5...but if there was any coach I look to like Coach Bryant. It would still be Coach Stallings. :D

thats was pretty good. Passed it along to a few other friends.

If you can stomach it, listen to the 4th hour, and Shane calls in to get more info from Paul. Paul relays Gene telling the story of calling tator-tot on the phone and lighting him up.

Dye said something once that I could never understand. In 1985, Vince Dooley was contemplating running for the U.S. senate and Dye's name kept popping up as Vince's possible replacement. Dye, a Georgia grad and All-American offensive lineman, said, "I ain't lost nothin' at Georgia."

Why do you think he'd turn his back on his alma mater to remain "an Auburn man?"

CrimsonPirate said:
Dye said something once that I could never understand. In 1985, Vince Dooley was contemplating running for the U.S. senate and Dye's name kept popping up as Vince's possible replacement. Dye, a Georgia grad and All-American offensive lineman, said, "I ain't lost nothin' at Georgia."

Why do you think he'd turn his back on his alma mater to remain "an Auburn man?"

I feel pretty certain that if Dooley would have left UGA back then, Dye would have headed right on over to there.

I know he has went to a lot of fund raisers for UGA since he retired at AU, and I'm pretty sure he wanted the job when Richt was hired.

Bama Bo said:
CrimsonPirate said:

I feel pretty certain that if Dooley would have left UGA back then, Dye would have headed right on over to there.

I know he has went to a lot of fund raisers for UGA since he retired at AU, and I'm pretty sure he wanted the job when Richt was hired.

Well, that makes me feel better about him. Some have said that Coach Bryant tried to get him to decline the Auburn job, that Coach had his eyes set on Pat as a possible replacement. I can't speak to the veracity of that, though.

Back
Top Bottom