| FTBL Inside the Numbers vs. Western Carolina...

• Thread starter imported_Porter
  • Start date
I

imported_Porter

-The Tide ran 78 offensive plays in the game (43 run and 35 pass).

-Alabama only punted once in the entire game. All other drives either ended in TD's, FG, or missed FG's (no turnovers).

-The Tide converted a school record 35 first downs in the game (16 rushing, 17 passing, 2 by penalty).

-Even though BAMA picked up 35 first downs, WCU actually won the TOP battle (31:49 to 28:11)

-BAMA's offense racked up 575 Total Offensive Yards in the game (313 rushing and 262 passing).

-BAMA averaged 7.1 yards per rush for the game.

-The Tide did not fumble or throw an INT.

-BAMA converted 6 of 10 3rd down plays (9 of which were passes).

-BAMA scored on 5 out of 6 trips into the red zone (4 TD's and 1 FG).

-Alabama had 3 running backs with 6 or more carries that averaged over 7 yards per carry (Grant, Coffee, and Upchurch).

-The Tide had 12 different players catch at least 1 pass on offense.

-Alabama averaged 30.7 yards on 3 kickoff returns.

-Average starting field position for Alabama was at their own 39 yard line (11 possessions).

-Average starting field position for WCU was at their own 24 yard line (12 possessions). All 12 of WCU's possessions started on their side of the field. Their best starting field position of the game was at their own 35. Only two of their drives started beyond their 28 yard line.

-BAMA's defense held WCU to 1.9 yards per rush (39 attempts).

-Alabama had 25 players that recorded at least one solo tackle and/or an assist.

-BAMA committed 5 penalties for a total of 42 yards in the game.

bamafan4ever said:
I am really beginning to think the TOP stat may be the most over-hyped stat, ever, in college football.

Shula was the master of winning the TOP battle and losing many wars at the same time.

Yeah, it was pretty interesting. WCU ran the no huddle a lot, but didn't snap the ball until there were 5 seconds on the clock. BAMA on the other hand, would come out like they were in the 2 minute offense... and snap the ball with 20 seconds left. I think Saban wanted to run a LOT of plays and get as many reps as possible. I'll be interested in seeing if they do it the same way against Vandy this weekend, or if they try to hold onto the ball a little more. I would guess they will a run little more clock, but that is just a guess...

bamafan4ever said:
I am really beginning to think the TOP stat may be the most over-hyped stat, ever, in college football.

Shula was the master of winning the TOP battle and losing many wars at the same time.

Running it up the middle every down does tend to use up a lot of clock. :D

Porterhouse said:
bamafan4ever said:

Yeah, it was pretty interesting. WCU ran the no huddle a lot, but didn't snap the ball until there were 5 seconds on the clock. BAMA on the other hand, would come out like they were in the 2 minute offense... and snap the ball with 20 seconds left. I think Saban wanted to run a LOT of plays and get as many reps as possible. I'll be interested in seeing if they do it the same way against Vandy this weekend, or if they try to hold onto the ball a little more. I would guess they will a run little more clock, but that is just a guess...

I definitely agree with you. He used this as an opportunity to get reps in for these guys. Next week the competition gets a lot better. We will see more clock management this weekend, and I can't wait to see this game. It will give us a better idea of where we are at.

bamafan4ever said:

When you have explosive plays like UA had Saturday it can be very over-hyped. In close games it is a very important stat.

Wiseace615 said:
bamafan4ever said:

Running it up the middle every down does tend to use up a lot of clock. :D

BWAA!!! HAHAHAHA!!
:che:

Tider 27 said:
Outlaw said:
I also heard a little earlier on the radio that we had 69 players participate. I like that...

You would, you pervert. :D :lol:

Lol.

Only Tider would be thinking about that stuff when everyone else is talking about football and football players.

That's just sick man. :shock: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom