| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC In all of your years of watching TV and Movies, which fictional death affected you the most?

TerryP

Staff
It's become so commonplace in today's entertainment to have someone who is considered a "main character" killed off in the writing.

As a Trekie, and a young one at the time, the death of Spock came as a shock. TV roles for me include Lori from TWD, Tara from SOA (Opie was a little bit of a shock as well,) and GOT got me with the first dire wolf.

By the time The Red Wedding premeired seeing people die on GOT was commonplace. SOA took the same turn with Jax.

In the end, with me at least, it has to be Henry Blake. I just didn't see that one coming.

helluva question Terry. makes me really think....

being a twd fan, most of the main character's deaths have hit a bit hard. but i guess the hardest one to hit me was beth's. and i think the reason it hit me like that was because of not only how it happened; but why it happened. when i saw it, my jaw hit the floor and all i could think was, "oh shit, rick about kill that woman...one shot to the head"

and the episode of m*a*s*h where henry dies is always a difficult one to watch. i've seen it many times, but it still gets to me even though i know what's coming. that whole scene when radar walks into the o.r. and tells everyone.....just a straight up tea-jerker.

in movies, one that affected me pretty good was han solo's death in the force awakens. i saw it coming, but still wasn't ready for it. and all i could think was, "chewie about to fuck some people up."

helluva question Terry. makes me really think....

and the episode of m*a*s*h where henry dies is always a difficult one to watch. i've seen it many times, but it still gets to me even though i know what's coming. that whole scene when radar walks into the o.r. and tells everyone.....just a straight up tea-jerker.

in movies, one that affected me pretty good was han solo's death in the force awakens. i saw it coming, but still wasn't ready for it. and all i could think was, "chewie about to fuck some people up."

I agree with both of your about Henry. He was such a beloved character. I didn't see it back in '75...because I was five. But every time I've seen it in syndication (a lot of times!) it still...wow.

Han Solo's death is the only recent death I can think of where my anger equaled my sadness. Walter White's death was completely expected, so that's the only reason why the sadness of his death doesn't match Solo's. Even though he deserved what he brought upon himself, I still felt for Heisenberg.

but i guess the hardest one to hit me was beth's. and i think the reason it hit me like that was because of not only how it happened; but why it happened. when i saw it, my jaw hit the floor and all i could think was, "oh shit, rick about kill that woman...one shot to the head"
By that time I was just ready for it to happen. Not necessarily her, but had that feeling one was going. What hit me the most about that flip was my first thoughts were actually about the cast / crew.

* Immediately, change of plans ... Talking Dead should be interesting.*

I watched Criminal Minds on somewhat of a regular basis early on. (Damn. AJ Cook.) I've binged it a bit, here and there, over the years since. In one of their episodes in season seven, maybe eight I'm thinking, Spenser has an interest in one lady and she ends up getting shot in the head as the "unsub" shots herself....? 'member that one? That took me off guard.

Shit, Walking Dead has got me 3 times at least. Beth, Glenn, and now Carl getting chomped was a shocker as well, yeah he's not dead yet...but you know it's coming.

ET as a child perhaps?

Old Yeller ('Old Yeller')
Mufasa ('The Lion King')
John Coffey ('The Green Mile')
Spock ('Star Trek')
Bubba ('Forrest Gump')
Boromir ('LOTR' - I loved the books but man, they really did his death justice in FotR)
Charlotte ('Charlotte's Web' - the 1973 version)
Ned and Shireen ('Game of Thrones')

I was late to the GOT game. I didn't start watching until summer 2016 and I generally knew which main characters died (thanks, Facebook). However, the way in which Ned died was so shocking and tragic. He did everything right and was so good, yet to go out like that, mocked and spat at .. That was so painful. Also, Shireen's death destroyed me. She was burning to death as her parents coldly watched her and ignored her pleas. At least her mom showed some regret but Stannis .. lord, that was cold. To quote Davos: "SHE WAS GOOD, SHE WAS KIND, AN YE KILLED HER!!!!"

Back
Top Bottom