| FTBL In the Power Five conferences, which coach's do you think are feeling the most pressure this season. Big 12 and the ACC have me stumped.

TerryP

Staff
When I look at the B1G there are two I see feeling pressure this season: Harbaugh and Franklin. Two different types of pressure, mind you. With Harbaugh, it's about keeping his job. With Franklin it's not so much job security as it is pressure to remain competitive.

In the SEC it's easy. That on Orgeron.

PAC? It's got to be Clay Helton although the news from Arizona State likely lessens the pressure he'll feel this season as they were considered to be one of the biggest challenges on this years schedule.

So, who do you think is feeling the most pressure within the ACC? When we see Miami beaten, badly, to start the season are we going to see a similar result (for their season) as we saw from FSU a few years ago? So, it's Manny Diaz?

The Big12? I want to say Matt Wells at Texas Tech although the competitive pressure on Sark in his first season is going to be something to watch. Is Mike Gundy feeling pressure this season? He can't get the Cowboys of that proverbial hump to close seasons out.

Who's on your list this season?

Quietly, I think Kirby Smart has a warm seat underneath him. If he can't get it done this year, he most likely won't for the next few years. Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State are breaking in new quarterbacks. Talent hasn't dropped off at all at any of these schools, but the new coordinators, and signal callers on the field have to give you the thought that growing pains are to be had. Hate equating it to this with women on here, but Kirby right now is like a high school virgin. He's got all of this built up energy just waiting for a release, and it's causing him to be erratic and a bit of a spaz. I think that has caused him to make questionable in game decisions. I also think it won't stop until he wins a Natty and can rest mentally with the fact that he would have then gotten Georgia its Natty and the fan base to release all of their penned up energy as well.

Georgia has invested a ton of money into its indoor facilities, into Kirby, into recruiting, into their coaching staff. He won't be fired this year, but can you imagine what will be said if he can't get it done with a veteran quarterback, two five star tight ends/receivers, a now veteran defensive backfield thanks to the portal, a stable of solid running backs, and a defensive front that has had a couple of years to watch the guys in front of them. Five stars everywhere is what I'm saying, so I think he feels a little tingle on that seat.

As far as true hot seat, gotta be thinking Orgeron, Jimbo, and Sarkesian off the bat. Hate it for Sarkesian, but Texas boosters don't care and want to win now. He will be watched closely due to his past, and held to a high standard due to his success at Alabama. Jimbo has been paid a lot of money, given the resources to make it happen, so he will be needing to make something happen. Orgeron mainly from off the field prospective and if he can run a clean program. Not looking good for him, but his Natty bought another year or two to get it together.

Helton at USC? People wanna throw that guy under the bus, but he has not done a bad job considering what he was left with. He is recruiting off the charts and should really see a difference this year with Slovis, Bru McCoy, Korey Foreman, and others now in the mix.

Dont forget ucla also.... veteran HC they expected a lot from

The sec is the most interesting....
With 2 new HCs at major programs.....may make it easier on rest...neither of those programs will be in upper echelon...

coach O...has the natty....but LSU is a time bomb of problems..

kirby really is on the clock....weak SECe....Clemson and sec cc game....
Song it Elvis..."its now or never"

but Mullen has been an underachiever .... so far
And has bama, lsu, and uga...

but Mullen has been an underachiever .... so far
I was thinking about him earlier today. He's been coaching in the SEC longer than any other coach sans Saban. 2-1 in bowl games and won the SEC east last season. They beat UGA handily last season.

Underachiever? Jim McElwain didn't tear up the recruiting trail. While he inherited talent from Mac, it wasn't the same talent Mac had when he took over for Boom.

I was thinking about him earlier today. He's been coaching in the SEC longer than any other coach sans Saban. 2-1 in bowl games and won the SEC east last season. They beat UGA handily last season.

Underachiever? Jim McElwain didn't tear up the recruiting trail. While he inherited talent from Mac, it wasn't the same talent Mac had when he took over for Boom.
I think his "claim to fame" was Prescott....made him look like a genius

Back
Top Bottom