| CURRENT EVENTS I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. Trump has introduced a plan to not tax tips earned by service industry workers.

TerryP

Staff
My first stumbling block? Why do I have to pay tax on the food I'm buying that's being served? Now, it's only two percent on the food...but still. Like food from Taco Bell, this just doesn't sit right.

Some places are actually sneaking in gratuity charges in your bill..👀… My mother went to Huddle House and she was hit with gratuity on her takeout order..The owner said it was to tip the short order cook.. She got pissed and the owner told her “ she didn’t understand the food business”.. Needless to say she never went back..
That moron in California, pretty much done away with tips in his state..

Some of the mom and Pop places down here actually give you a discount for pay in cash or check.. because they charge 3% or 4% more to use a credit card..So make sure to ask (I know it’s a different subject) ..

Some of the mom and Pop places down here actually give you a discount for pay in cash or check.. because they charge 3% or 4% more to use a credit card..So make sure to ask (I know it’s a different subject) ..
The card processing company charges a percentage...that's what you are point to here, right? It's not a mom or a pop that is charging...standard procedures for any business.

It's been a few years since I've dealt with this. I think Amex is the biggest 'charger' at 3% of all transactions.

It’s a stupid plan for the points you pointed out @TerryP
I don't know that stupid is the right word. Bewildering fits.

It does show a stark contrast between the IRS watching how much money is sent through Venmo but you could make that much in tips, in a night, and they won't track that.

I'm 100% behind lower taxes. I'm 100% against one person not having to pay taxes on their income when everyone else does. The ticket puncher at the theater will pay more in taxes than the bar tender at a popular night spot.

I don't know that stupid is the right word. Bewildering fits.

It does show a stark contrast between the IRS watching how much money is sent through Venmo but you could make that much in tips, in a night, and they won't track that.

I'm 100% behind lower taxes. I'm 100% against one person not having to pay taxes on their income when everyone else does. The ticket puncher at the theater will pay more in taxes than the bar tender at a popular night spot.
Bewildering is another word I would use, but I also think it’s stupid.

The card processing company charges a percentage...that's what you are point to here, right? It's not a mom or a pop that is charging...standard procedures for any business.

It's been a few years since I've dealt with this. I think Amex is the biggest 'charger' at 3% of all transactions.
Some of the bigger places absorb the charges…Some smaller places have a sign warning you (some don’t) they will charge three or 4% if you use a credit or debit card.. two places here gives you a discount for using cash and check..
A lot of people do not realize (or don’t care) that they’re paying hundreds of dollars a year just for buying food on a credit or debit card.. Some folks are stunned when they find out because they never pay attention to their receipt..
Example: Service charge= .45 cents or more in the totals - on a single order..

A lot of people do not realize (or don’t care) that they’re paying hundreds of dollars a year just for buying food on a credit or debit card.. Some folks are stunned when they find out because they never pay attention to their receipt..
I won't argue that. IE: I have an account with Truist. IF I use my debit card at the 7-11 ATM, I'm charged. BUT, I also have an account with Cap One. I can move money from Truist to Cap One and I don't pay a damn thing for getting cash at the same location.

It's a lot like shopping for minor items. I don't go to Walmart any longer. I get everything shipped to my door. I don't go to the bank any longer.

I won't argue that. IE: I have an account with Truist. IF I use my debit card at the 7-11 ATM, I'm charged. BUT, I also have an account with Cap One. I can move money from Truist to Cap One and I don't pay a damn thing for getting cash at the same location.

It's a lot like shopping for minor items. I don't go to Walmart any longer. I get everything shipped to my door. I don't go to the bank any longer.
I need to check that out.. I actually noticed what I was referring to a few years back.. it is amazing how many people don’t know that info..I guess people like me are the reason credit card companies do that to people.. I always pay in full every month.. I usually try to tell these younger kids and elderly people about that every chance I get..Some of the elderly were in tears that they paid so much to extra use cards..

There's a Publix four miles from you. They don't charge ATM fees.

On the Walmart delivery thing, you pay what, a hundred bucks a year for it, right? Do you pay a delivery fee each time, or do you pay higher prices for the items?

There's a Publix four miles from you. They don't charge ATM fees.

On the Walmart delivery thing, you pay what, a hundred bucks a year for it, right? Do you pay a delivery fee each time, or do you pay higher prices for the items?
The CVS and 7-11 are a half of a mile from me. Same with Circle K. Truist is right down the street from Publix. Here's the thing, Tim. IF I need cash, immediately, it's worth the drive. But, otherwise, I'm taking a picture of a check and waiting 24 hours. I'll write one to myself today, deposit it with Cap One, and I'll pick up the cash tomorrow. It's just too easy this way versus driving for four miles. (I know that sounds weird, four miles.)

As far as W+, it's $99 a year, no delivery fee on groceries as a long as it's over $35. Free shipping on everything. IE: I bought a case of water this morning. If I had it delivered it would have cost $6.99 because it's not over the $35 dollar limit. But, I chose shipping, it'll be here today, free, from the same store. 🤷‍♂️

Everything else, except meats, I have dropped at my door. Some meats I'll buy through them...pound of bacon or something like that.

Here is something I find pretty cool. I picked up some plants the other day, scanned them on my phone, and didn't have to do the cashier line. Gas is cheaper...get a break on that. Paramount+ is free. A lot of benefits for that c-note.

And, no, the prices aren't higher. Lower in a lot of cases. The case of Aqua Fina was a special for W+ at $4.99.

I need to check that out.. I actually noticed what I was referring to a few years back.. it is amazing how many people don’t know that info..I guess people like me are the reason credit card companies do that to people.. I always pay in full every month.. I usually try to tell these younger kids and elderly people about that every chance I get..Some of the elderly were in tears that they paid so much to extra use cards..
I have mine divided. All of my online purchases go to one card, all of my 'in real life' purchases go to another. I pay both off each month. I'm carrying about 8K on another: that card is all for home repairs, purchases, etc.

As I mentioned to Tim...the Cap One thing is part being lazy, part being logical. I would rather walk, or ride, up the street than drive four miles to the bank.

Look up locations on the Cap One app...you'll see how close you are to a free ATM. The account is free. ATM is free...being lazy is easy.

I have mine divided. All of my online purchases go to one card, all of my 'in real life' purchases go to another. I pay both off each month. I'm carrying about 8K on another: that card is all for home repairs, purchases, etc.

As I mentioned to Tim...the Cap One thing is part being lazy, part being logical. I would rather walk, or ride, up the street than drive four miles to the bank.

Look up locations on the Cap One app...you'll see how close you are to a free ATM. The account is free. ATM is free...being lazy is easy.
A couple of years ago, I quit using my ATM cards, now just to get cash and a very limited number of purchases. Where it's accepted, I use a SkyMiles Amex for all purchases, including recurring payments for utilities (electric/gas/water in GA, electric/gas/internet in AL), insurance, along with daily expenses, travel, dining, etc. to accumulate miles. Because of multiples for travel, dining and groceries, I accumulate miles pretty quickly. Where it's not taken (like Costco), I use a Costco Visa, and I also default to that Visa for all gas purchases because it gives me four percent cash back on gas. I pay both off every month. Carrying a balance quickly destroys any of the benefits gained.

Carrying a balance quickly destroys any of the benefits gained.
The 8K I mentioned for 'home stuff' gets paid off on the 24th of next month. I think that Discover card is at 18%. I'd have to check to be sure. I didn't/don't mind carrying that balance for three months versus taking it out of other 'funds.'

It's my opinion that my Discover and Lowe's cards are the most valuable. They tend to be the hardest to get.

A couple of years ago, I quit using my ATM cards, now just to get cash and a very limited number of purchases.
We're on the same page. I don't use my Truist ATM card. I don't use my South Carolina Federal card. I do, however, move money to the Cap One account and use their ATM's. That Cap One account has a balance of $1.03 right now. Until I need cash, it'll stay that way.

We move in different circles. I can't use SkyMiles for some things.

The 8K I mentioned for 'home stuff' gets paid off on the 24th of next month. I think that Discover card is at 18%. I'd have to check to be sure. I didn't/don't mind carrying that balance for three months versus taking it out of other 'funds.'

It's my opinion that my Discover and Lowe's cards are the most valuable. They tend to be the hardest to get.
I use Lowe's in Georgia. I wish there was a Lowe's in Pell City. We are bracketed by stores in Leeds and Oxford, not sure if they'll ever infill.

Yes, in Cropwell. I go there to fill my propane tanks and get specific hardware items (nuts/bolts/screws), and when I'm going to pick up something small and don't want to drive the extra four miles to Home Depot...
I've seen ads about Ace having delivery options now; free. I haven't looked. Same with Home Depot. Stipulations are something you have to weed through.

You do zero in on the point. The nuts/bolts/screws. More importantly, the knowledge.

Years ago I had a leak in the master bathroom shower pipe...no problem. I know how to fix that. I had the same leak the next day and went back to Ace to buy new parts: I'll re-do my work. The guy asked me, "how did you wrap the tape?" Absentmindedly I went backward on the plumbing tape.

That's the kind of thought process you find at Ace, but seldom at Lowe's, or Home Depot.

I've seen ads about Ace having delivery options now; free. I haven't looked. Same with Home Depot. Stipulations are something you have to weed through.

You do zero in on the point. The nuts/bolts/screws. More importantly, the knowledge.

Years ago I had a leak in the master bathroom shower pipe...no problem. I know how to fix that. I had the same leak the next day and went back to Ace to buy new parts: I'll re-do my work. The guy asked me, "how did you wrap the tape?" Absentmindedly I went backward on the plumbing tape.

That's the kind of thought process you find at Ace, but seldom at Lowe's, or Home Depot.
That was what got Home Depot ahead of the old HQ, which was K-Mart's Home Depot competitor, and others who have drifted away. Twenty-five years ago, you had a painter working in the paint area, an electrician in the electric, plumber, etc. Now, they just check their phones like I do.

Back
Top Bottom