| LIFE If you could bring back one restaurant in your lifetime, what would it be?

Decision made.

Pete’s Famous Hot Dogs - The place was more than a tiny restaurant, it was an experience. In a cruel twist, maybe that’s why it’s best that it died with Gus… Without him, the experience would be incomplete. But I’ll still say it’s the one place I’d want back above all others. These Greek style hotdog sauce joints are literally a dying breed, and to have that one back… the King of them all… would be incredible.
Dude gave me hell on my first visit after I married my wife and moved to the area. Wife said, “ He has never been here before.” Old guy, “ Why the hell not? You shoulda walked down here if you had to, best hot dogs in the world.” We ended up getting probably 2 dozen to take home for the night with in laws & kids. Ended up giving us a couple of grapicos after I gave my word we would be back.

I would bring back LaVoys Italian when the old lady was still alive. After she died her grandson took over, moved it and tried to upscale it. Ate there once, just wasn’t the same.

LaVoys was on my list. Hell, even Leonardos that used to be off Rocky Ridge was really, really good... other than the midget they had playing piano... that was distracting.

I could pick a good number, but I took my wife to Rossi’s in Mountain Brook on our first date. Their steer butt tender was outstanding.
I'm very glad that I read that twice.

As for a restaurant, and purely for the sake of nostalgia, I'll go with Johnny's on what was in those days Tuscaloosa's flagpole corner. I'll never know what the food tasted like to an entirely sober customer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom