| OT If kneeling during the anthem is a form of social protest to draw attention to injustices, what do we call the Ole Miss players kneeling

the opinion if history offends you make damn sure you don't repeat it...and I'm sure the old cliches are coming to mind about repeating history.

I learned this in my 11th grade history class at Corner High School. My teacher was Joe Bradford, the most respected African American I have ever met. The man was 1 of 5 African American teachers at an all white public HS. They had been placed there by court order when integration occurred. He was loved by the entire school as well as the other 4.
It was the very first question on every test he gave the entire year. What is the importance of history?

Feel free to prove me wrong. By your posts, you can't seem to figure it out and cannot understand. So if these guys felt so victimized as you seem to think they are, they wouldn't be donning the colors and university name. Money on the other hand, makes people do just about anything. Don't belittle me for pointing out the obvious that you couldn't seem to get out of your mouth for sake of looking insensitive.

In the first instance, this generation of millennials knows very little about rallying the troops for the cause. In the 60s and 70s young people could get up a good protest in a moments notice about most any social injustice they cared to conceive in their heads. And we would even get some cool songs out of it, like, " For What it's Worth," and "Ohio."It's definitely a lost art, regardless of cause. In the second, generalizing motive under one label is the same as saying you don't care what the real issue is in the first place. Money and fame may be more the goal than social injustice when kids go to college, regardless of color, it's not always going to be the reason for the season.

The rest, is me wondering out loud if players know how strong their voice is when it's on the same page. Again, no one is going to confuse this generation of African Americans with MLK and the civil rights movement but you would think the protest carried out by the football players at the University of Missouri would be more the template for change.

In the case with Mizzou, what did it take to get results, 4 days?

In the first instance, this generation of millennials knows very little about rallying the troops for the cause. In the 60s and 70s young people could get up a good protest in a moments notice about most any social injustice they cared to conceive in their heads. And we would even get some cool songs out of it, like, " For What it's Worth," and "Ohio."It's definitely a lost art, regardless of cause. In the second, generalizing motive under one label is the same as saying you don't care what the real issue is in the first place. Money and fame may be more the goal than social injustice when kids go to college, regardless of color, it's not always going to be the reason for the season.

The rest, is me wondering out loud if players know how strong their voice is when it's on the same page. Again, no one is going to confuse this generation of African Americans with MLK and the civil rights movement but you would think the protest carried out by the football players at the University of Missouri would be more the template for change.

In the case with Mizzou, what did it take to get results, 4 days?

I'm not talking about the public in general, I'm speaking solely for the athletes at hand. It's not generalizing when you can see exactly what is happening. You're right, if they were truly offended, they wouldn't go near Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, or Georgia. We actually see a lot more racial discrimination in the New Jersey, New York areas in the news and on the internet. BUT, they see an opportunity to propell to upper class financial status in three years, basketball in one. How many times have we heard recruits say they come to Alabama simply because of Saban's ability to make them a first round pick? How many times have we seen a guy leave early due to pressure from their greedy parents and dollar signs in their own eyes? I am not saying 100% are like that, but a large number are, because I would have gone to a school that offered me the ability to go to school for free and not be a part of the staggering numbers that will never ever get out of their student loan debts. Add in the ability to be a 1%'er almost overnight? Where do we sign. I think a lot of the "social injustice" warriors are just people that can't find happiness within themselves and just want something to bitch about. Once again, legitimate issues out there, but too many out there trying to make a name for themselves by being offended by everything. It's all about views and clicks on a social media platform for a lot of youth these days. The instances like the guy in Chicago recently isn't helping things by creating fake hate to further his paycheck and career.

I didn't tag you. I quoted your post where you asked "Do Vietnamese Americans get a chance to voice their displeasure?" And I said yes because they are Americans and they have that right to voice whatever they want to like the rest of us. I never said "some just dont know what being American is" . I didnt say it. I never said that anywhere. The person that said that was 50 year tidefan and HE tagged you. I dont know why he tagged you but Im pretty sure he was accusing me of not knowing what it is to be an American, not you.

And I apologize josh...i wasn’t calling you anything...i went back and reread..
I wasnt referring to you the person....no reference at all...but to the seeming new idea of those that.one could disrespect all things America provides...
To you a sincere apology...to those not...

Last edited:
Here's something that confuses me to no end. The group that is perpetually offended by a lot is also the generation that grew up watching South Park.

True. Though, kind of a sign of the culuture. I think it comes down to teaching, and kids not being taught/built up as people to take responsibility for their actions. It is always someone else’s fault.

Hypothetical.

Let's assume for a minute that this is one of the flags being flown during their "rally."

Maybe it's just me. But, it's not the kind of flag where my reaction would be to get on my knees. 🤷‍♂️

I do wonder how many verses of Dixie they cam jam in on a normal protest kind of day?

Two Pro-Confederate groups organized a rally in Oxford that started at The Square before marching to a memorial to an unknown Confederate soldier located on the campus of the University of Mississippi on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019.

Back
Top Bottom