| NEWS How Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss football players reacted to trash-throwing delay at Tennessee - Clarion Ledger

S

SEC Sports

The Southeastern Conference and University of Tennessee administrators issued statements early Sunday morning, following Saturday night's Tennessee-Ole Miss game being delayed in the final minute by debris being thrown on the field.

The 13th-ranked Rebels held on to beat the Vols 31-26 inside a sold-out Neyland Stadium, but bottles and other objects were thrown onto the field with 54 seconds left in regulation. The action from fans followed Tennessee being ruled a yard short on fourth-and-24. The spot on the play was reviewed before ultimately being upheld, giving the ball back to Ole Miss.

Tennessee, which had three timeouts remaining at the time of the stoppage, eventually got the ball back, but Joe Milton III ran out of bounds after time had expired on the game's final play, after taking the third-and-10 snap at the 21-yard line with three seconds left.

GREG SANKEY, SEC Commissioner

“The Conference has established expectations for behavior and sportsmanship, and the actions of fans at Saturday night’s game were unacceptable under any circumstances. We are accustomed to intense competition every week, but under no circumstances is it acceptable to endanger the contest participants and disrupt a game. We will review existing Conference policies and the Commissioner’s authority to impose penalties and communicate with the leadership at the University of Tennessee — and all of the SEC’s member universities — to make certain this situation is not repeated.”

DONDE PLOWMAN, University of Tennessee Chancellor

“I am astonished and sickened by the behavior of some Vol fans at the end of tonight’s game. Good sportsmanship must be part of who we are as Volunteers. Behavior that puts student-athletes, visitors and other fans at risk is not something we will tolerate. I will be calling Chancellor Boyce in the morning to offer my personal apology on behalf of the University of Tennessee and discuss what we can do to make this right. Neyland Stadium has always been a place for families, and we’ll keep it that way.”

DANNY WHITE, Tennessee Athletic Director

“Our Tennessee fanbase had much to be proud of through 59 minutes of football Saturday night — they created one of the best live sporting event atmospheres I’ve ever experienced — but what transpired in the game’s final minute was unacceptable.

“Player and fan safety is paramount at all times. While I’m incredibly proud of our team’s effort on the field, I’m disappointed that their relentless performance was overshadowed in the game’s closing moments by the actions of several fans whose actions did not represent the Volunteer Spirit or the true character of our university.

“On behalf of the University of Tennessee, I’d like to apologize to the Ole Miss football program and congratulate their student-athletes on a hard fought win. I spoke with Keith Carter after the game and expressed the same sentiment to him.”

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The moon was shining high in the sky, but Ole Miss football coach Lane Kiffin doesn't think he was hit with any moonshine.

Minutes before midnight at Neyland Stadium, Tennessee receiver Jacob Warren came up a yard short of converting a fourth-and-24, turning the ball over on downs to Ole Miss with 54 seconds left in a 31-26 game.

What followed was an embarrassing display of disgust from a segment of the Tennessee fanbase. Trash and debris showered onto the field and Ole Miss sideline from the stands, primarily from the student section. The Tennessee band and cheerleaders had to be evacuated because they were in the crossfire.

Beer cans, water bottles and food wrappers rained onto the grass. One fan threw a mustard bottle. Kiffin, the former Tennessee coach, was the main target, though. He kept a yellow golf ball that was thrown at him. He had to catch a water bottle as he left the stadium.

He tossed his visor into the stands at the remaining students heckling him as he entered the tunnel to go to the locker room.

And as Kiffin says, he was hit by much more.

"There was a number of bottles with some brown stuff in them, so I’m not sure," Kiffin said. "I don’t think it was moonshine. I don’t think they’d waste the moonshine on me.”

The irony of it all is that if fans were mad about Tennessee's loss of possession, they didn't know to throw trash. They could've just waited.

After the delay, which lasted approximately 20 minutes, Ole Miss ran three times and Tennessee called three timeouts. After a punt and a long return, Tennessee had the ball across midfield. A couple plays later and Tennessee was in the red zone with two more shots to win the game.

Backup quarterback Joe Milton's first throw went through his receiver's hands. With three seconds left, the Vols had one more try. Milton didn't bother making a second throw. He tried to pick up the last 20 yards with his legs but only got 13 of them until he let Ole Miss defensive end Tavius Robinson walk him out of bounds.

That's how this one ended. Not with a chorus of boos. Not with a coach getting pelted with booze. But with a backup quarterback stepping out of bounds with no time left on the clock.

Ole Miss (5-1, 2-1 SEC) won 31-26. Kiffin escaped his former stomping grounds with a victory and the Rebels get to carry a two-game winning streak into next week's rivalry game against LSU.

But the shadow of the trash delay will hang over this one.

"The majority of (Tennessee fans) were actually really good, especially early in warmups," Kiffin said. "I think it was more students that were 8 or something when we were here before or whatever. Early on, going out there, I thought it was a different reception. I think that’s one of the most passionate fan bases in America. You get 100,000 of them together and things don’t go their way and lot of energy is going, they got upset, I don’t know."

Reactions and growth​

Ole Miss' players had different reactions to the delay.

Quarterback Matt Corral was angry at his teammates for getting distracted and complacent with time left on the clock. Linebacker Mark Robinson was frustrated about the abuse players have to endure without being allowed to retaliate.

The big takeaway shouldn't be about the misguided actions of rogue fans, though. Ole Miss' enduring memory should be the growth of its defense in parallel situations.

Last week, Arkansas drove the length of the field and scored a touchdown as time expired to set up a would-be game-winning 2-point conversion. This time around, from a similar spot on the field, Ole Miss' defense didn't give up the touchdown.

After giving up 51 points to a tempo offense last week, the Rebels allowed 26 points against a tempo offense this time around. After giving up 37 second-half points a week ago, the Rebels allowed 14 this time.

It's been two weeks of exorcising the demons of Ole Miss' past. Had Arkansas converted its 2-point conversion, it would've won 53-52, the same score the Razorbacks beat the Rebels by in 2015 to knock them out of SEC championship contention. The 2015 Razorbacks pulled off the win by converting a fourth-and-25 pass where Ole Miss needed a stop to win. Erasing history again, this time Ole Miss stopped the fourth-and-24.

This game will always be the Tennessee Trash game. Call it the Golf Ball Game. Call it the Night of the Yellow Mustard in the Moonlight.

Don't let it overshadow the win, though. Because if Ole Miss is presented with the option of needing to stop a do-or-die conversion to win or getting pelted with a mysterious brown liquid on the way to getting the go-ahead stop, it'll definitely take the latter.

Depending on what the brown liquid was, of course.

No Bama fan especially us older ones are surprised by any of this. That is who they are. They showed their true vile orange colors... The narrative will try and say it is just a few but I have been in that stadium and they are inbred rednecks that have no class.

It is Vile Hate Week but in all honesty I do not need a particular week to feel this way!!!!!! Roll Tide drill the Viles this week. The Bama team better come out focused and none of this crap from UF/A&M game...

No Bama fan especially us older ones are surprised by any of this. That is who they are. They showed their true vile orange colors... The narrative will try and say it is just a few but I have been in that stadium and they are inbred rednecks that have no class.

It is Vile Hate Week but in all honesty I do not need a particular week to feel this way!!!!!! Roll Tide drill the Viles this week. The Bama team better come out focused and none of this crap from UF/A&M game...
Absolutely...it was not just a few fans....it was coming from all over stadium...
Hitting their own cheerleaders...had to remove the cheerleaders to protect them.....classless

Stay classy Rocky Top.

That fan base is on another level.

And btw, it wasn’t a first down. It was closer than the original spot, but it wasn’t a first down.
Correct, the receiver took a shot on/near the ball and that pushed it down to his gut as he was lunging. Not a first down, but close. I was truly surprised the only view of that was from the endzone, no field level reverse angle option.

I have had great experiences at UT games win or lose. I would have to say the students there probably started the whole thing. They are tired of losing. the brown stuff is mot assuredly Tobacco spit, form the inbreeds that are there. Sad show of sportsmanship. They better get ready for a real old fashioned ass whipping this week. I Hate Tennessee.

Exactly. The last time I was there was the LAST time. Same goes for Auburn and Georgia. LSU comes close, but I would go back there just for the food. :D

I am telling you right now, He learned that humility from Saban. Sure he talks a lot of shit sometimes, but he has learned to embrace the wins and losses. I still think he is a horrible Head coach that can call a offense as good as anybody.

I have had great experiences at UT games win or lose. I would have to say the students there probably started the whole thing. They are tired of losing. the brown stuff is mot assuredly Tobacco spit, form the inbreeds that are there. Sad show of sportsmanship. They better get ready for a real old fashioned ass whipping this week. I Hate Tennessee.

I have been a few times....
Favorite was 1990.... but every time I seem to run into the biggest bunch of assholes.... always try to be nice to all opposing fans at BD... but there...damn...
So...really have quit going... and an hour or so away... ms50+ says she will never go back...

Roll tide...its Tennessee week!

I have been a few times....
Favorite was 1990.... but every time I seem to run into the biggest bunch of assholes.... always try to be nice to all opposing fans at BD... but there...damn...
So...really have quit going... and an hour or so away... ms50+ says she will never go back...

Roll tide...its Tennessee week!
Me and the Mrs rode the bus from the hotel to Neyland and we were the only Bama fans on board, and they started that rocky top shit, and when they go woooooo in the song the wife and I added our little addition with Roll Tide. They got a kick out of it. Most were our age maybe that was the reason, but they were good sports about it.

Correct, the receiver took a shot on/near the ball and that pushed it down to his gut as he was lunging. Not a first down, but close. I was truly surprised the only view of that was from the endzone, no field level reverse angle option.
Has anyone seen a decent view? Only clips I’ve seen were terrible views…one from press box and one from the end zone. Both were from a ways off.

He looks just a hair short, but you really can’t tell when his knee goes down…which I guess is why they just let the play stand.

Has anyone seen a decent view? Only clips I’ve seen were terrible views…one from press box and one from the end zone. Both were from a ways off.

He looks just a hair short, but you really can’t tell when his knee goes down…which I guess is why they just let the play stand.
In my view, he took the shot on the tackle, shoving the ball down toward his waist, and from the end zone camera you could see the ball low near his gut/hip, and then the sideline view shows where his knee hit, so between the two you know the ball wasn't extended when he was down. Definitely not enough to overturn. That being said, had they said he gained the line (which I think was incorrect) there probably wasn't enough to overturn it back the other way. It's crazy in this day they can't have one reverse angle camera for a conference game.

I thought the spot was probably correct but I agree that the camera angles were horrible. The Friday night HS game of the week on local tv has better camera angles.

It's crazy in this day they can't have one reverse angle camera for a conference game.
I'm struggling with the logic here as well.

Last week I commented on how the Big12 went to the point of having a camera on the officials hat but didn't have pylon cameras. To me, that made little to no sense.

We all understand the "B-list" games, announcing crews, and officiating crews. However, it doesn't seem to be a level playing field when we've got one game offering several angles on reviews and another limited to one sideline.

In my opinion that's on the SEC (and on ESPN/SECN as well.)

Back
Top Bottom