| OT If kneeling during the anthem is a form of social protest to draw attention to injustices, what do we call the Ole Miss players kneeling

Max

before their game? Their "demonstration" Saturday night was about a confederacy rally being held in town on the same day of the game. They were demonstrating a rally, a peaceful protest, that's protected by the constitution. It's now an injustice that needs attention drawn to it when all we have in the end is people acting under their rights that govern free speech?

From what I understand the protest by the group was due to UM removing the state flag from campus because some were offended. And, it makes me believe it's truly a "look at me" moment versus one that actually is heartful and meaningful. There are few that will disagree with what happened during the years of slavery in the south. This statement by the Ole Miss players doesn't do anything to calm that situation down and does nothing to change what's happening on their campus. A campus that seems to be filled with perpetually offended groups.

Seriously, who in the heck has a "Confederate rally" these days? I don't know how the University of Mississippi attracts any decent black athletes on that campus. That's the real mystery.

Seriously, who in the heck has a "Confederate rally" these days? I don't know how the University of Mississippi attracts any decent black athletes on that campus. That's the real mystery.

LOL, there is no mystery.

It seems that some folks are just tired of all the political correctness of tearing down confederate statues.

It's history, it doesn't need to be tore down is my thought. I'm tired of the uber sensitive left wanting historical landmarks destroyed.

LOL, there is no mystery.

It seems that some folks are just tired of all the political correctness of tearing down confederate statues.

It's history, it doesn't need to be tore down is my thought. I'm tired of the uber sensitive left wanting historical landmarks destroyed.

Don't they have museums in Mississippi?

And all those monuments in DC, they belong in a graveyard?

Do the Vietnamese Americans get a chance to voice their displeasure?

Visiting civil war museums has always been an interest of mine over the decades I guess. From New Orleans to Vicksburg to Shiloh to Kennesaw, down to Atlanta and the Cyclorama and Andersonville Prison Camp. North to Richmond to Chancellorsville, to Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg to Gettysburg are some I've visited off the top of my head. These museums/graveyards have monuments galore, along with plenty of cannons, war implements all over the place. If anyone is into that stuff there are a lot of places to go and within easy reach of the average Joe. So, the answer is yes, they certainly do belong in graveyards.

Unbelievable.... i guess basketball teams will start staying in locker room when America is honored....
This is disgraceful....and a shame to Ole MS,...
if it had been a "black lives matter" rally and the white players kneeled.....what would be said....
the racial atmosphere in America is growing and fueled by the left and press...
What is the overall goal? I just wonder!

Seriously, who in the heck has a "Confederate rally" these days?
Hang on now.

According to what I've seen they were protesting the removal of the state flag from the campus of Ole Miss. It was labeled a "confederate rally" by those who were in not favor of the protest because it still carries the old battle flag as part of the design.

There is a disconnect with what they're saying and what they've done. I can understand a player kneeling for a social injustice they witness in today's age. Here, where's the social injustice? @12gage has a point in that they're protesting something that's completely within the rights of those at that rally.

It's literally a case where players are saying, through their actions, "our freedom of speech allows us to protest things we feel are wrong." But, at the same time, they are protesting against someone who is doing the very same thing; using their freedom of speech to protest a decision they felt was wrong.

What I find intriguing is the decision to keep the current flag design was voted on by Mississippians and passed. When that wasn't good enough it was taken as far as the appeals court where it was still shot down. When this suit was proceeding a black Mississippi resident said that the use of the Confederate symbol amounted to state-sanctioned racial discrimination. The flying of a flag endorses racial discrimination is a HUGE brush stroke.

Hang on now.

According to what I've seen they were protesting the removal of the state flag from the campus of Ole Miss. It was labeled a "confederate rally" by those who were in not favor of the protest because it still carries the old battle flag as part of the design.

There is a disconnect with what they're saying and what they've done. I can understand a player kneeling for a social injustice they witness in today's age. Here, where's the social injustice? @12gage has a point in that they're protesting something that's completely within the rights of those at that rally.

It's literally a case where players are saying, through their actions, "our freedom of speech allows us to protest things we feel are wrong." But, at the same time, they are protesting against someone who is doing the very same thing; using their freedom of speech to protest a decision they felt was wrong.

What I find intriguing is the decision to keep the current flag design was voted on by Mississippians and passed. When that wasn't good enough it was taken as far as the appeals court where it was still shot down. When this suit was proceeding a black Mississippi resident said that the use of the Confederate symbol amounted to state-sanctioned racial discrimination. The flying of a flag endorses racial discrimination is a HUGE brush stroke.

I was specifically talking about a monument. Now, the head coach of the basketball team said the kneeling was in direct response to the hate groups that he said were continually making the rounds. Whatever, on a personal note, this is why it still feels like African Americans are trying to make the case about social injustice the hard way. Just kneeling for the Anthem, it's so easy for anyone who wants to muddy the water to take the narrative and run with it in any direction they chose. The whole point of protesting or simply standing up for your value system, it would seem to me, is to be clear to others what the point is. I'd rather chose a forum that talks to the problem specifically. Too much is getting lost in translation.

Too much is getting lost in translation.
In my opinion that's largely due to the vague definitions of what people were kneeling about in the first place. Kap went from "brutality of the police" to "supporting the armed forces" to "“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour.”

Irregardless of why the Ole Miss players kneeled, I'm still of the opinion they were protesting the very thing they were doing: a constitutionally protected right to voice opinions in protest without government interference.

In my opinion that's largely due to the vague definitions of what people were kneeling about in the first place. Kap went from "brutality of the police" to "supporting the armed forces" to "“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour.”

Irregardless of why the Ole Miss players kneeled, I'm still of the opinion they were protesting the very thing they were doing: a constitutionally protected right to voice opinions in protest without government interference.

And I still don't get why black stars go to the University of Mississippi. If you want to send a personal message loud and clear about racism in Oxford, don't go and let rivals and 24/7 know why. That's a protest that no one will misinterpret. My guess is one recruiting class would send the message. You could also painfully make your point if the best players sacrificed a year of eligibility and transferred elsewhere. If we're still talking about personal sacrifice and conviction that is.

You serious with that statement? When will you and a lot of others realize it's about money. No one truly gives a shit about social issues or racism as long as their pockets are full. Ole Miss can get so many of these athletes to professional futures and money that they don't give one eff about Colonial Reb or the state flag. If they did, you're right, they would never go play there or attend class there. Symbols only mean things to those using them to profit off others, to get camera time, and to get the masses riled up.

Dude... you have your head so far up your own ass that you're whining about them protesting a "peaceful protest that is protected by the constitution" by doing their OWN peaceful protest that is protected by the constitution and you dont even get the irony.

Back
Top Bottom