| FTBL If I could make one suggestion to Applewhite and co...

I

imported_porkchop

..it would be to decide on what it is you want from your offense from here on out.

We play one way against WCU and Vandy and another way against UGA and the Seminoles. At some point one would think that the staff would have to decide on what their offensive philosiphy is. Are we going to be lights-out and throw the ball around on people, or are we going to play ultra-conservative and scared?

I'm all for game-planning but we're taking this to a whole nother level IMHO. We're being ultra-conservative when we probably should just go out and do everything in our power to just make a play. Yet, at the same time, we'll run anything in our play book against teams we feel like we're better than.

At some point the coaches just need to unleash the hounds on offense and go for it. What do we expect to be this year on offense? Are we a running team? A passing team? Or does it depend on who we are playing that given week? Will we play to win one week, and play not to lose the next? It sure seems that way right now.

I'm very concerned at the offensive philosiphy that has been displayed by the staff so far. At the same time, I feel like this is totally fixable with a little direction. Bottom line though is that we need to figure out who we are and what we expect to accomplish on offense this year. Pick a system and live and die by it. I'm tired of what I've seen so far with this mix/match of philosiphy given the opponent that week.

Chop it wouldn't matter if we ran a spread or a power I. The problem is execution. Our QB throws half of his passes in the dirt and the O-line couldn't block a peewee defensive end. I think its mainly talent. I'm sorry but our offensive talent sucks.

bama1289 said:
Chop it wouldn't matter if we ran a spread or a power I. The problem is execution. Our QB throws half of his passes in the dirt and the O-line couldn't block a peewee defensive end. I think its mainly talent. I'm sorry but our offensive talent sucks.

I wont go that far and say our talent "sucks" but I will concede that we are very inconsistent on offense. Blocking, passing, receiving -- they all looked shabby at times. I'll officially fault the game plan when I stop seeing so many sacks, pressures, overthrows, drops and wide open receivers not being thrown to.

bama1289 said:

thats where u r dead wrong and what pisses me off so much about this shit. they have all the damn talent in the world on offense, its just execution. if u can honestly sit there and tell me guys like DJ freakin Hall, Keith Brown, Terry Grant, Andre Smith, Caldwell, hell the whole receiving core, and even JP and tell me that aint talent then u r lying to urself buddy.

I'm lyin to myself????? There is some talent on the offense but compare it to other sec teams. they don't match up with LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tenn, or Kentucky. Our offense has sucked for the last 3 years and u say we have all the talent in the world???? Look at the stats buddy. Talented athletes CONSISTENTLY make big plays.

bama1289 said:
I'm lyin to myself????? There is some talent on the offense but compare it to other sec teams. they don't match up with LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tenn, or Kentucky. Our offense has sucked for the last 3 years and u say we have all the talent in the world???? Look at the stats buddy. Talented athletes CONSISTENTLY make big plays.

Chill out. That's your opinion and he has a right to his. :!:

I'm not all that concerned with the playcalling....I mean, how are you going to sit there and throw around on teams when you're either floating the ball or putting it in the turf every other play. FSU came in with a plan to stop the run and put the game on JPW's shoulders, banking on him not coming out of his shell this game. well, they won that bet.

right now the problem is the execution by the players. we're getting open receivers down the field. we just can't get the ball to them. JPW is out there throwing that ball, not CMA.

it doesn't matter if applewhite calls the perfect play every down. If the guys don't execute, then playing is a waste of time. They might as well just line up and snap the ball and everyone scrabble until something comes open.

the coaches will get it fixed. No matter how much perfume you put on it, how much you try to shine it up or how you shape it, a turd is a turd. Is our team a turd, no. But even with all of the talent we have, we still don't have game breakers in all positions. Nick and company will rectify that with recruiting.

oc

I think execution early on in games is the reason for the play calling. its the ozymandius (the snake eating its own tail), one creates the other. Let's face it. You can have someone miss a block against WCU and still break a run. Not happenin vs. FSU. I'm fine with Applewhite, but I think CNS will need more than 9 months to fix this 'un.

porkchop said:
..it would be to decide on what it is you want from your offense from here on out.

We play one way against WCU and Vandy and another way against UGA and the Seminoles. At some point one would think that the staff would have to decide on what their offensive philosiphy is. Are we going to be lights-out and throw the ball around on people, or are we going to play ultra-conservative and scared?

I'm all for game-planning but we're taking this to a whole nother level IMHO. We're being ultra-conservative when we probably should just go out and do everything in our power to just make a play. Yet, at the same time, we'll run anything in our play book against teams we feel like we're better than.

At some point the coaches just need to unleash the hounds on offense and go for it. What do we expect to be this year on offense? Are we a running team? A passing team? Or does it depend on who we are playing that given week? Will we play to win one week, and play not to lose the next? It sure seems that way right now.

I'm very concerned at the offensive philosiphy that has been displayed by the staff so far. At the same time, I feel like this is totally fixable with a little direction. Bottom line though is that we need to figure out who we are and what we expect to accomplish on offense this year. Pick a system and live and die by it. I'm tired of what I've seen so far with this mix/match of philosiphy given the opponent that week.

Is comparing the game plans vs WCU and Vandy against the game plans for Georgia and FSU comparing apples to apples?

TerryP said:
Is comparing the game plans vs WCU and Vandy against the game plans for Georgia and FSU comparing apples to apples?

BINGO!!

If you look into how CMA worked at Rice, and read the few interviews that he's done since coming to Alabama, you can see that he's all about matching what you do to the guys you're playing. Not only the game plan, but within the game itself. IMO that's a sound philosophy. You can't play Georgia with the same game plan that you used agains Vandy, or Florida State with the game plan you used against Western Carolina. The truth that I see is that we were better than Vandy and WCU, we were about even if not a little behind Georgia and FSU. The main difference in the last two games is the fact that the teams we played executed what they needed to do to win better than we did, therefore they won. If you have a receiver wide open, with a clear lane to the endzone, who's waving his arms to get the ball, and said ball gets thrown away you can't blame that on Applewhite. Now, don't get me wrong, you can't place all of the blame on the QB, the running game never got going, we had receivers not making an effort to catch the ball, we had guys on the O-line missing assignments, and plenty of other mistakes. It seems like some guys on our team are under the impression that we're Alabama, we got Saban, and we were ranked, so every one else is compelled to roll over and die when faced with out superiority. Problem is: Georgia and FSU didn't get the memo.

And no, the offense didn't give up 14 points in 9 seconds, but how many points did they score in the first 45 minutes?

Bamsambo said:
It wasn't the Offense that gave up 14 points in 9 seconds last night.
No they only gave FSU 7. :?

Our OVERALL lack of talent and depth are starting to show. But we are STILL in these games.Having Mustin back was a big boost for the D.

About what I expected from this year. We still win the ones we should,TN maybe, LSU doubtful, the Barn at all costs. And a good time will be had by all.

porkchop said:

I just have a problem with totally abandoning the running game early as was evident by the end of the first quarter yesterday. It looked like we just gave up and were content on passing the ball the rest of the game. Hell, JPW passed 53 times! I ain't Stephen Hawking, but if a team is putting 3 on the line and 8 in the zone, they are daring you to throw it. What about a draw play? Forget play action, everytime JPW rolls out he's getting sacked or throwing it away. Last week versus Penn State, Michigan ran their top guy 35 times against an inpenatrable defense and they penatrated it!

TerryP said:
porkchop said:

What I meant by that is that we seem to line up and run a certain set of plays against teams like WCU and Vandy, but then play a team with a little bit better defense and we go into a shell with the play-calling. We don't play with the same swagger of confidence against UGA or FSU that we did earlier in the season. Even against Arkansas we came out and just determined to do whatever we wanted to do to them.

Since the end of the Arky game though it's almost like our offense is playing not to lose early on. Then later when we have to score we get back to the offensive mindset that we began the year with.

I'd just like to see us a little more aggressive early on against teams like the Noles, instead of going conservative and playing not to lose. We need that Stallings mindset on offense. Not to say that we're going to run it every play, but the mindset of, we're going to do whatever we want to do to your defense and there it is. That's the story. We're going to line up and smack you in the mouth and you can't stop us. If you think you're man enough to stop us then go for it.

Now I know there are all kinds of variables going on right now but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of that mindset taken by the offense.

porkchop said:
TerryP said:
porkchop said:

What I meant by that is that we seem to line up and run a certain set of plays against teams like WCU and Vandy, but then play a team with a little bit better defense and we go into a shell with the play-calling. We don't play with the same swagger of confidence against UGA or FSU that we did earlier in the season. Even against Arkansas we came out and just determined to do whatever we wanted to do to them.

Since the end of the Arky game though it's almost like our offense is playing not to lose early on. Then later when we have to score we get back to the offensive mindset that we began the year with.

I'd just like to see us a little more aggressive early on against teams like the Noles, instead of going conservative and playing not to lose. We need that Stallings mindset on offense. Not to say that we're going to run it every play, but the mindset of, we're going to do whatever we want to do to your defense and there it is. That's the story. We're going to line up and smack you in the mouth and you can't stop us. If you think you're man enough to stop us then go for it.

Now I know there are all kinds of variables going on right now but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of that mindset taken by the offense.

Agreed chopper, but without the right guys to do that we don't stand a good enough chance to impose our will on the other team like Coach Stallimgs did.
However I certainly hear you on being more aggressive. I'll back track by saying,if we did do what you suggest and lose, it would be better than flip flopping and not building on an identity. We're not talented enough to do that right now. As we obtain the players needed we can develope any particular identy we choose to and we'll be able to do what we seems to be doing now. Change identities with each different team we play.
Bottom line, we need the appropriate players really for our coaches to shine and do what they were brought in here to do. It'll come in due time.

porkchop said:
Change identities with each different team we play.

I think you just said in one sentance what I'd been trying to say for 2 pages now. :lol: :oops:

Is it that the coaches believe we can do that or do you thing they're doing it to keep from being one dimesional?

Back
Top Bottom