I love the big brown truck

BAMA JAMMA

Verified Member
I know we have a few photogs on this forum. i sold all of my Nikon gear and switched to Canon, mainly due to the glass selection and quality. I have been eyeing the 7D ever since it came out and I bit the bullet and ordered some prime lenses, the camera and a 430EX II speedlite from B&H last week. well i knew it was coming in yesterday so I took a vacation day and awaited anxiously to see the brown truck drive to my house lol.

My new gear now is: Canon 7D, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135mm f/2 L and the 430EX II.

I am loving this camera so far!! I really haven;t had time to play with it much due to work and the newborn and all but I cannot wait until spring and summer gets here. Also for football of course. 8 FPS is going to come in handy and the HD video is a very fun and cool feature!

Video of my goofy ass unboxing it after it arrived lol. I couldn't resist http://www.vimeo.com/8226651 :lol:

These are actual HD videos taken from the DSLR.

The first one of the guitar is mainly just a low light test and manual focus test. I had to use stupid windows movie maker to render out my file from sony vegas pro 9 because I had a codec issue. Taken with the 50mm f/1.4 http://www.vimeo.com/8234102

The second video is from tonight after I got the codec issue worked out. It's of my 7 week old daughter Kensley and our pooch Kaysar. Taken with the 85mm f/1.8 http://www.vimeo.com/8254189

My wife had beeen bugging me ever sicne I sold my Nikon that she was wanting to get some birth announcement holiday cards made of our daughter to send out. I told her why in the hell would you want to do this AFTER I sell my camera. She mentioned she had her point and shoot still and we could do that and it would be fine. I told her no way I was going to send out some grainy full of noise crap picture and told her my new camera would be in soon enough.

Well I didn't think she was going to want to do it the night my camera came in. This camera is leaps and bounds advanced over my previous Nikon DSLRs. so the learning curve and being rusty was going to affect the outcome. But hell with it at least they would of been better than the point and shoot camera. So here are some shots I took last night testing out the camera for the first time and using the 430 EX II off the camera and bouncing it off the ceiling.

Taken with 135L and 430EX II flash.

85mmshotwith135L.jpg

These were taken with both the 85 f/1.8 and the 135L using the 430EX to bounce off the ceiling. My daughter Kensley is 7 weeks old yesterday.

I cried out laughing hard from this one :lol::lol::lol:....

kensleyxmasdress2.jpg

kensleyxmasoutfit.jpg

kensleyxmasoutfit2.jpg

And this was just playing around with off camera flash and the 50mm playing with real shallow DOF...

guitarstrings.jpg

The weather needs to get better ASAP as i want to get out and play with the camera!!

Bwhahahah you guys are nuts. LMFAO at "someone's behind you" :lol::lol::lol:

:rofl: @ the chop Doe!

Nice stuff. You left off the one of the best lenses Canon makes. 70-200 2.8 IS

I just got that one in yesterday!!! I want the 85 1.8. That is the best one.

I have 3 local photog buddies that have that lens so if I ever need it I can always borrow one of theirs. I'll maybe get one later on. I'm REALLY loving the 135L though. It focuses amazingly fast, tack sharp and the bokeh it beautiful!

Bwhahahah you guys are nuts. LMFAO at "someone's behind you" :lol::lol::lol:

:rofl: @ the chop Doe!

I have 3 local photog buddies that have that lens so if I ever need it I can always borrow one of theirs. I'll maybe get one later on. I'm REALLY loving the 135L though. It focuses amazingly fast, tack sharp and the bokeh it beautiful!

i would give anything to have the 135L and 85.

Only thing different that I want is the 5D MKII

Nice equipment. Keep posting your work! I'm still trying to learn my camera and it's only a 350D (Rebel XT).

On a side note....

What program do you guys use to convert from Raw to jpeg? Do you use the program from Canon or some other program like Adobe Lightroom 2?

Nice equipment. Keep posting your work! I'm still trying to learn my camera and it's only a 350D (Rebel XT).

On a side note....

What program do you guys use to convert from Raw to jpeg? Do you use the program from Canon or some other program like Adobe Lightroom 2?

I use Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw (beta 5.6 since it now supports the 7D) with CS4 and I also use DPP from Canon.

I use Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw (beta 5.6 since it now supports the 7D) with CS4 and I also use DPP from Canon.

I use Camera Raw everyday. It's a pretty powerful tool. I love the vibrance and clarity sliders and having such great control when fine tuning exposure.

Here's a shot from my most recent shoot in a recording studio in Woodstock, NY a couple of weeks ago. I shot over 1500 shots in two days.

walfredoreyesjr.jpg

^^It has a nice range but I'm sure the IQ isn't all that great on the far end. That and the fact that it's a slow lens wouldn't help much for sports. If I'm going to have a long focal range like that I'd opt for the Canon 400mm f/2.8 L as it;s fast and produces amazing results. But I'd have to rent one because I sure as hell don't have $6000+ to blow on one freaking lens lol.

Here are some thoughts on that Sigma http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=105&sort=7&cat=37&page=3

Review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50-500mm-F-4-6.3-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

Took my 7D out with me to the trails by my house. It's the first time I've been able to ride since having our newborn so i was itching to get out and wanted to take the new 7D along for the ride. Shots were taken with 135L. These are out of the camera.

Exposure Time = 1/200"
F Number = F6.3
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Shutter Speed Value = 7.63 TV
Aperture Value = 5.38 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Focal Length = 135mm

creekshot.jpg

Exposure Time = 1/800"
F Number = F2.5
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Shutter Speed Value = 9.63 TV
Aperture Value = 2.63 AV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Focal Length = 135mm

woodshot.jpg

Exposure Time = 1/800"
F Number = F2.8
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Shutter Speed Value = 9.63 TV
Aperture Value = 3 AV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Focal Length = 135mm

creekshot2.jpg

^^It has a nice range but I'm sure the IQ isn't all that great on the far end. That and the fact that it's a slow lens wouldn't help much for sports. If I'm going to have a long focal range like that I'd opt for the Canon 400mm f/2.8 L as it;s fast and produces amazing results. But I'd have to rent one because I sure as hell don't have $6000+ to blow on one freaking lens lol.

Here are some thoughts on that Sigma http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=105&sort=7&cat=37&page=3

Review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50-500mm-F-4-6.3-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

You can learn a lot from that fred miranda site. I have been a member there for years.

Back
Top Bottom