| FTBL I fell into the "football rabbit hole" and landed in the running back room going into spring ball. #BamaProblems.

TerryP

Staff
<ramble>

I'm not expecting to see/hear about Jase McClellan or Roydell Williams in anything other than non-contact drills. That leaves us looking at four of the six possible running backs for this fall.

I say possible thinking about Emmanuel Henderson—4⭐ RB out of Geneva County. He committed back in March of last year so you may not remember him well. He was a three sport guy running track and field as well as playing basketball (2nd team All-State.) The "possible running back" comes from track. He doesn't have Christian Leary's speed (10.4, 40) but running an 11.4 as a sophomore tells you the kid is fast. At that age reaching a higher top end speed is coachable. 6'1, 195lbs from what I've heard, and Saban has mentioned he's going to get a look at receiver.

The three I see handling spring duties: Jahmyr Gibbs, Trey Sanders, and Jamarion Miller. I know you folks are looking forward to seeing what Gibbs is going to bring to the offense. I'm intrigued by Miller.

Do you remember Miller from November? He was a late flip from Texas to Bama. Earlier I mentioned Henderson's speed. While Bama just lost speed with Camar Wheaton (10.79) leaving it's replacing that with Miller (10.70.) If you've seen his films you've he's got a quick burst and cuts really well. My opinion: keep an eye on him for '23...thinking he 'shirts this season.)

What do we really know about Trey Sanders? "He's got good hands" but we only saw six receptions last season. He was hitting about 4½ per carry last season but only ran the ball 72 times. I'm hoping we'll see what we did in the Cincinnati game: 15 attempts at a little under 5 per carry. It's really all expectations hoping he's able to get back to what folks thought two years ago. Keep in mind his contributions increased as the season went on. Part of that was knocking the rust off and part was the depth chart. Losing Roydell and Jase put a lot on him earlier than expected.

Which brings us to Jahmyr Gibbs. Is this a 1a / 1b running back depth chart in the fall featuring Jase and Jahmyr?

I cringe a bit when I read "NFL burst" with Gibbs: fan and media expectations. What do we really know here? One might think he was the work horse for Georgia Tech last season. He caught the ball as many times as Brian Robinson did last year (36 vs 35 receptions) but did out gain him on average (almost five yards per reception.) How much of that was due to ACC secondaries.

Running the ball? He and Trey were neck and neck per carry though Jamyr had twice as many rushing attempts.

The "Not too early depth chart that's only organizational in its importance- officially."

In drills I'd expect to see the spring start with Trey followed by Jahmyr. If for no other reason than familiarity with the program and the process they run through in the spring. A good number think it'll be Gibbs as the number one guy this fall. My gut tells me we won't know until fall how this plays out.

</ramble>

Sanders is my guy. I really really hope he shines. He deserves it. Gibbs will stand out in a highly positive way. ACC competition? Look at where he was playing, and you'll realize it was mostly all him as the competition was better than his team, and Tech fans will agree. The fact he had twice as many carries and still held up to Sanders average is a positive thing in my eyes, because it wasn't a fluke with fewer carries. He does have that burst, similar to Henry when he hit the second level and glided through the secondary's of many opponents. Jase, I sure hope he can get healthy, because he is a dang good back. He is slippery and hard to tackle. With Sanders, McClellan, and Gibbs, you automatically have to put us as a Top 5 Backfield in the country. Bryce will have some talent right there alongside him this Fall.

I have high hopes for Emmanuel Henderson. According a youtube video, he says he runs a 4.35 40.
That's pretty dang fast. Unfortunately, the video was blocked. You can go on youtube and watch it though.
The title of the video is "He runs a 4.3" Emmanuel Henderson is Alabama's next weapon! 5 star RB drops 38 in basketball game!
The video is on the Overtime SZN channel. Sorry it was blocked on here.

I have high hopes for Emmanuel Henderson. According a youtube video, he says he runs a 4.35 40.
That's pretty dang fast. Unfortunately, the video was blocked. You can go on youtube and watch it though.
The title of the video is "He runs a 4.3" Emmanuel Henderson is Alabama's next weapon! 5 star RB drops 38 in basketball game!
The video is on the Overtime SZN channel. Sorry it was blocked on here.

<ramble>

I'm not expecting to see/hear about Jase McClellan or Roydell Williams in anything other than non-contact drills. That leaves us looking at four of the six possible running backs for this fall.

I say possible thinking about Emmanuel Henderson—4⭐ RB out of Geneva County. He committed back in March of last year so you may not remember him well. He was a three sport guy running track and field as well as playing basketball (2nd team All-State.) The "possible running back" comes from track. He doesn't have Christian Leary's speed (10.4, 40) but running an 11.4 as a sophomore tells you the kid is fast. At that age reaching a higher top end speed is coachable. 6'1, 195lbs from what I've heard, and Saban has mentioned he's going to get a look at receiver.

The three I see handling spring duties: Jahmyr Gibbs, Trey Sanders, and Jamarion Miller. I know you folks are looking forward to seeing what Gibbs is going to bring to the offense. I'm intrigued by Miller.

Do you remember Miller from November? He was a late flip from Texas to Bama. Earlier I mentioned Henderson's speed. While Bama just lost speed with Camar Wheaton (10.79) leaving it's replacing that with Miller (10.70.) If you've seen his films you've he's got a quick burst and cuts really well. My opinion: keep an eye on him for '23...thinking he 'shirts this season.)

What do we really know about Trey Sanders? "He's got good hands" but we only saw six receptions last season. He was hitting about 4½ per carry last season but only ran the ball 72 times. I'm hoping we'll see what we did in the Cincinnati game: 15 attempts at a little under 5 per carry. It's really all expectations hoping he's able to get back to what folks thought two years ago. Keep in mind his contributions increased as the season went on. Part of that was knocking the rust off and part was the depth chart. Losing Roydell and Jase put a lot on him earlier than expected.

Which brings us to Jahmyr Gibbs. Is this a 1a / 1b running back depth chart in the fall featuring Jase and Jahmyr?

I cringe a bit when I read "NFL burst" with Gibbs: fan and media expectations. What do we really know here? One might think he was the work horse for Georgia Tech last season. He caught the ball as many times as Brian Robinson did last year (36 vs 35 receptions) but did out gain him on average (almost five yards per reception.) How much of that was due to ACC secondaries.

Running the ball? He and Trey were neck and neck per carry though Jamyr had twice as many rushing attempts.

The "Not too early depth chart that's only organizational in its importance- officially."

In drills I'd expect to see the spring start with Trey followed by Jahmyr. If for no other reason than familiarity with the program and the process they run through in the spring. A good number think it'll be Gibbs as the number one guy this fall. My gut tells me we won't know until fall how this plays out.

</ramble>
Excellent observations. 26 days later and I just noticed this one.

Shoot... I think I remember a blurb about that. Where did he go after UA? Was it a JUCO? That was a talented kid... Such a shame

Yes, he tried JUCO once we dismissed him. I did a little digging out of curiosity and he did not make grades in JUCO as he was trying to get back to the SEC at South Carolina. I know he came back home to Cobb County here in Georgia and that's when he started getting locked up. Yeah, definitely a wasted talent.

Back
Top Bottom